The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2000, 08:08 PM   #1
Little Buck

Can anyone help me with some of your pet loads using this bullet
Thanks
LB
Old April 17, 2000, 10:05 PM   #2
Jaeger

I haven't tried the 35gr VMax yet but I have been shooting groundhogs using the 40gr VMax in my Ruger Hornet. So far results have been very impressive out to 200 yds.

I am using WW brass, WW small rifle primers and 12 grains of Hodgeson Lil-Gun. I've only had it to the range once for a load test and this combination gave me a 4 shot group of .52" with the 5th shot opening up to 1". I need to do some more range work but this load shows great promise and has been giving me clean, 1 shot kills out to 200 yds.

When testing this powder I loaded up to 13 grains. There were no signs of excessive pressure at all. The man that I got the load info from is getting his best results with 13.2 grains of Lil-Gun. He is claiming no signs of pressure and 3000 fps from his Ruger. I havn't chronographed mine yet.

I'd try some Lil-Gun if I were you. Start at about 11.5 to 12 grains and work your way up from there. Good luck and good shooting! Let us know how you do.
Old April 19, 2000, 09:26 AM   #3
MADISON

When Hornady first came out with their VMAX 35 grain bullet, I phoned them and they mailed me sheets of reloading data on the Hornet and .223 Remmington.