The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2000, 01:48 PM   #1
kframe19

I'm in the process of getting a Model 57 S&W 4" in .41 Mag.

Never loaded this caliber before.

Anyone have a favorite powder, or any tips on getting the most out of this round? --Mike
Old April 13, 2000, 01:52 PM   #2
Nukem

Yes, but after trying all the bullets available at the time, I settled on the 170gr Sierra JHP for my Redhawk. It's the only thing it it likes. Powder is 2400.

Good whitetail load.
Old April 13, 2000, 02:49 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

The latest rage to hit the hunting scene are heavy flat point lead bullets. JHP have a shady reputation for non expansion and breaking up during deep penetration. The theorier of using hard flat nose (LBT) design bullets are sound and effective. It is also one of the best ways to get the most from your 41 Magnum. The best bullet range in weight from 215 to 240 grain hard cast lead SWC using Accurate #9 for best results and 250 to 265 grain bullets, LBT design, using H110. These two powders may prove to be a bit slow in a 4" barrel and a powder like Herco maybe in order.

Robert
Old April 13, 2000, 05:34 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

If you are getting this gun for hunting then I would suggest either a longer barrel or going with the lighter bullets.

The lighter bullets I would recommend would be the 170 gr. Sierra JHC,the Speer 180 gr. Uni-Cor HP.

If you are wanting to go with something heavier then I would stay with the 200 - 220 range. Several great bullets in this range.
The biggest problem you are going to run into is with the shorter barrel you will be getting a large muzzle flash when useing the slower powders and heavier bullets. Also the recoil will scooch on up there real quick.

Remington quit making what I had considered the best 170 gr. bullet made for this caliber. It was a JHP and it did a great job expanding and holding together. The Noslers I have shot are about the closest I have found to the same expansion but sometimes they shed the core. The Uni-Cor is really made for the 41AE but it works well enough and is a great bullet for hunting. It has the same type of jacket as their godl dot and will not seperate. It is a bit tough for lower velocity expansion however.

For cast bullets check out Oregon Trail. I have been shooting their 215 gr. in my Redhawk and have gotten great groups and high velocities with no sign of leading.

There are several good choices for this caliber but unfortunately they seem to be getting smaller and smaller. If you get this gun and are loading for it find a good load and stock up on the bullets and brass. It seems to drop another notch every year.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old April 13, 2000, 06:01 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Vihta N110, H110, AA#9, 2400, or my favorite, W296. Bullets up to 265g...

Finish using the superior Redding Profile Crimp die.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old April 13, 2000, 10:28 PM   #6
dundee

What everyone is describing are full house hunting loads. Most of my ammo is spent punching paper so I load down to mild enjoyable loads. I just shot a match using 215 gr lead bullets seated so the crimp is over the top of the shoulder of the bullet. Under the bullet- 3.6gr of titegroup powder. I came in 2nd in the centerfire revolver match behind a shooter with a smith mod 14 -38 special. A favorite medium load is 7.0 gr of red dot under the same 215 cast lead bullet. I just reread a Ken Waters article and he liked 8.0 gr of red dot powder with cast lead for a medium power load.
You don't have to load mag loads to kill cans and paper.
Enjoy
Old April 14, 2000, 07:28 AM   #7
Fred J. Drumheller
Retired Screen Name

225gr. H&G Keith Type SWC. 15gr AA5744

900FPS from my 657 Classic Hunter. Haven't chronod it in my Mountain Gun.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2000, 07:55 PM   #8
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

I load for several .41's ranging from the 4-3/4" Ruger revolver to the 10" Contender and the Marlin 1894. I don't recommend specific powder charges in these forums, but have had good luck both with W296/H110 and with A2400, with the 210 grain Sierra jacketed and 215 grain Keith cast (deer and bear killed handily with this weight, you don't really need the superheavies.) Have also loaded light fun loads for the short guns with a 240 grain hard-cast (Lyman's .401 Rifle bullet, sized with a flat nose punch) over medium charges of Blue Dot...a nice small game and defense load for short barrels. Any good reloading manual will give you charge weight recommendations. --slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.