The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 5, 2021, 08:23 AM   #76
wild cat mccane

Making stuff up?

I have proved every mythical comment about the MR73 is wrong:
-No MR73 was used in the Paris attack in 2015. The US magazines repeating each other said the main force that responded in Paris uses them. No MR73 was used or present. All police responded with rifles. Sig P226 and Glock were the only handguns police had present at the Paris attack. Rifles were only fired in the Paris 2015 attack. We know this as a fact. The picture of the scoped revolver being used for a long distant shot in US magazines? NO police force in the world is doing that when rifles exist. That is just a stupid photo. Come on.

-No target barrel, even cold hammer forged (the VP9 barrel is cold hammer forged too), barrel is going to survive 357mag for 1,000,000 rounds. In fact, the actual statement is there is a MR73 displayed with 100,00 rounds. That's the actual story.
Someone isn't good with numbers mistook that for 1 million. This is repeated on every professional gun website. 1 million rounds of 357mag? That barrel would be shoot to heck and back. Every professional gun website should know this. Not one has caught they mistook the claim by more than 900,000. They should have.

-We know Manurhin is proofs with Norma 357. I'm putting up an image of my Norma 357 in the other thread. It is CIP. It is not magical 1,500FPS. So we know pressure isn't somehow explosively different. Fact is, the magical police force using the MR73 is also issues the 686. Again, they probably aren't using either in real situations. Just like our swat teams use short rifles.

I'm not saying it isn't nice. But no one has discredited what I've said. It's impossible that those three items exist. We know that is impossible without knowing anything about the MR73.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 5, 2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old November 5, 2021, 08:47 AM   #77
wild cat mccane

And on decorum.

It's a little exhausting going back on forth. Put up your facts and let's get the facts.

Let's see the 1,000,000 MR73 on display. Oops to US gun magazines, it's a 100,000 round gun that is displayed. Didn't mean to discredit the entire gun magazine/website industry...but that is the fact.

Let's see photos of the French force using the MR73 and not in a 1990s airplane. The most recent major terror attack had zero MR73s in 2015. So why are US magazines showing it off in 2017 as the main handgun, cause it isn't.

I'm fine with it being nice and $3,000. But don't come in with nonsense and throw names or talk about peoples lack of wealth being the reason the price tag is not worth the squeeze (look at my sig fella...use critical reasoning on my economic ability to buy a MR73 on reserve). It makes me look rude for following up on nonsense claims. It doesn't build the knowledge source. It doesn't build community.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 5, 2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old November 5, 2021, 09:03 AM   #78
Jim Watson

I can well imagine somebody getting all enthused, reading 100000 and saying 1000000.
I know of revolvers shot well over 100000 locally, but with Specials, and mostly wadcutters at that.

There IS one gun that was fired a documented 1000000 rounds without barrel replacement or mechanical repair. It is a Boss shotgun that belonged to the London proof house and was used to test the ammunition that was to be used to test the many guns that went through.
Winchester "only" got 250000 rounds through a Model 97 but that is pretty good for a repeater.

But those are shotguns operating about 1/3 of Magnum revolver pressures.
Bill Wilson sectioned a used .38 Super barrel and it showed a lot of erosion after 30000.
Old November 5, 2021, 09:53 AM   #79
FITASC

I have a Browning shotgun with ~350,000 rounds through it. It needed some new springs at 90K and is due for some more now.
Kim Rhode put over 1,000,000 through her first Perazzi before it was stolen; but then she shoots more in one month than most will do in their entire lifetime.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 5, 2021, 12:04 PM   #80
wild cat mccane

Let's agree though, shotgun pressure and (lack of) rifling has nothing to do with Guns.com and every expert gun website repeating a Manurhin revolver shot 1,000,000 "powerhouse" 357mag.

Not even HK is claiming the bizllion round HK USP was all +P rounds.

We aren't even in the universe of reality for this 1,000,000 "powerhouse" 357mag round count.
Old November 8, 2021, 12:29 PM   #81
Two Shanks

I will say this. I am on my fourth Manurhin. Three MR 73 and one MR38. I believe they are one of the top three revolvers made. They are of very high quality and a joy to shoot and own. I put the Manurhin and Korth on the same level with Janz being by far the Finest quality Revolver ever made. I own and shoot all of these and they will quickly spoil You for anything else.
Old November 10, 2021, 10:38 AM   #82
micromontenegro

So much hate! Tsk tsk.
Old November 27, 2021, 09:01 AM   #83
HenryT

Myth or fact...

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...34#post6891534