The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Kevinfreem

Sig P 320 x five problems

Just bought a new Sig Sauer P320 x five and had my first range day. All of my factory ammo ran through just fine. I also had some reloaded ammo that gave me a lot of problems. The specs are:
Hornady 115 gr RN bullets
Mixed Head Stamps
4.0 charge of Titegroup powder
I had a couple of cases get stuck in the barrel and had to hammer the slide down to get the brass to eject. This happened about 1 out of every 30 shells. I also had some stovepiping and a few ftf malfunctions. From reading online there is a possibility of the problem being my spring and possibly the barrel is not properly sized. I am also wondering if the powder is expanding the shell so much that it is getting stuck. Almost all of my reloads and some of the factory brass have scrapes on the top of the case and have obviously heen scraped coming out of the barrel. I am planning to clean the gun with cleaner and then having another range day this weekend but I am wondering if there are any other reloaders that have had this problem and may have advice.
Old February 15, 2018, 07:40 AM   #2
PPGMD

Are you case gauging your ammo?
Old February 15, 2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Kevinfreem

Not on a constant basis. This is a new gun but the reloads were done about a month and a half ago. They did, however run just fine in every other 9mm gun that I shot that day including a vp9 and glock 19 gen 5.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:49 PM   #4
PPGMD

The X Five might have a match chamber, I know that is one of the things we requested when it was under development.

I suggest getting getting a Hundo (with flip tray) and case gauging all your ammo. It literally only takes about minute longer per a box if you are already loading into MTM or Dillon boxes.
http://benstoegerproshop.com/case-gauges/

Last edited by PPGMD; February 15, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:53 PM   #5
locknloader

I case gauge all my reloads before boxing them up, seems like good insurance for the small amount of time it takes.

That 100 hole plate looks awesome! I have been using a lyman case gauge with just one hole that would greatly speed things up.
Old February 15, 2018, 05:01 PM   #6
PPGMD

I highly doubt that I would gauge all my ammo if it weren't for the hundo. My previous gauge was a 7 hole EGW gauge, and I would only gauge my match ammo because of the time it took.