The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2018, 10:27 PM   #1
Skunkape60

Newbie Question

I have 3 1911's and have been going through 200 rounds a week. I want to reload but (in my case) I don't know if there will be enough cost saving to make it worthwhile.

While I know for those who save their brass, there is a savings. My problem is the only place in my area that I can shoot, won't let you pick up your brass once it hits the floor.

So my question is:
If I have to buy new brass all the time, is there any cost savings to reloading? I currently pay $71 per 200 rds. It comes out to around .35 per round.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:29 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Welcome to TFL.

You need a new place to shoot.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Yosemite Steve

I have seen this before with others. I am guessing they don't want people crawling around collecting brass while others are shooting? My range is pretty quiet. The only brass laying around is rimfire.

I have heard that 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot. How much free time do you have? Loading takes time. Fast loading equipment costs more. If I shot that many rounds a week I would want a good progressive press. It really depends on what your time is worth. For me though, reloading time is like therapy.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Chainsaw.

Find some place new to shoot, they are stealing from you.

9mm cost about $12-$14 per 50 for plinking grade stuff, I am using premium components an Im loading them for just shy of $6 per 50, with my cast bullets (home made) I can load 50 for just a sniff over $3 per 50.

This does NOT include the price of the gear to load, which can be had quite cheap or fairly expensive. Cheap is usually slower, expensive is often faster. For .45acp you could probably be in as cheap as $100, maybe a skoosh more. But, you'll be loading one case at a time, several lever pulls per case.

Grab a reloading manual, like lees or lymans, itll teach you 70% of how to reload and ideas of what you need. Plus all the recipes for different cartridges.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/63...hoCmUwQAvD_BwE
Old February 7, 2018, 10:57 PM   #5
Skunkape60

Thanks for the quick reply... I don't particularly like shooting the 9mm. I have time and have no issue with the startup cost for a progressive setup. But the ammo must be cheaper (including the brass) to make myself @ .35 a round. I don't know if that is feasible though. Yup... I may have to find another place to shoot or make some sort of catch bag to hang on the bench.
Old February 7, 2018, 10:57 PM   #6
Yosemite Steve

Look up AmmoSeek. There's deals for 1000 rounds for $140 out there.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Skunkape60

I will definitely look up AmmoSeek. Thanks
Old February 7, 2018, 11:20 PM   #8
TruthTellers

If your range won't let you pick up brass, I wouldn't give them any money because that's your brass if you want it, you paid for it. I agree with other guys, look for another range.

As for reloading, if it's .45 ACP, you can save money if you reuse brass. If you can't, you're better off not reloading because you'll be spending the same amounts of money, but also time doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother reloading 9mm because it's not worth the time. You can buy cheap 9mm to shoot and use that time reloading other calibers that are more of a cost savings.

The .45's are a great caliber to reload. Most .45 ACP ammo I see is either going to be $15/50 rds for the cheap stuff and $24/50 rds for the not cheap stuff. You can reload good ammo for less than 20 cents a round with .45 if you re-use your brass.

BTW, shooting revolvers would solve your issue with picking up brass. One of the reasons I'm such a big fan of the wheel guns.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:28 PM   #9
Northof50

Skunkate60 - if you have to purchase brass it is definitely NOT worth the effort. It's been said by many, you don't really save any $$, you simply shoot more for the same amount. But, then you deal with all the wonderful component shortages. 30 years of reloading, I've seen shortages of everything at one point or another. You will also drop about $1000 [average] on equipment by the time it's all said and done. No - you don't have to spend that...but you probably will. Presses, dies, scales, powder, primers, bullets, boxes, trimmers, reamers, cleaners, pullers. It can be a money pit if you let it. If you decide to go with Dillon for your equipment, you'll probably have a couple of presses. Something about Dillon users - they all seem to have more than one press. I think it's because it's such a PIA to change calibers/primers/powders :-)

But, with all that written, I love reloading. Don't think I've purchased more than 10 boxes of factory ammo in 30 years. If you can't change ranges, think about getting a brass catcher. No certain if they still make the ones that attach directly to the pistol, but here is one from Midway...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...-brass-catcher

Your brass will never hit the floor. If your range balks at it, as mentioned, I would find another range...unless they are paying you to shoot there.
Old February 8, 2018, 05:47 AM   #10
Skunkape60

Thanks for the info and the link. I will likely figure out a way to collect most of my brass and reload. I think I can find a way to keep most of my brass off the ground by hanging a bag of sorts from the lane divider. The .45 is likely the only round I will ever reload. The only other possibility would be a 10 mm. I won't be buying another gun smaller than the .45 nor bigger than a 10mm. I have also (Thanks to he site provided by Y Steve) found a source where I can pick up new ammo for .25 rnd which will get me over the hump until I can get started.
Old February 8, 2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Chainsaw.

Bullets will be your biggest component cost if you are picking up and reusing your brass. Lead of course will be the cheapest, plate is more, fmj more still.

I really like these guys for fmj.
http://www.evergladesammo.com/catalo...h/result/?q=45
Old February 8, 2018, 09:02 AM   #12
RKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
Welcome to TFL.

Ditto Nick C S.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:11 AM   #13
Northof50

Skunkape60 - purchasing bullets in 500 count boxes; primers in 1000 count boxes; and powder by the pound - 45acp and 10mm cost me about 16 cents each. I use hard-cast 200gr for the 45 and 180plated for the 10. You can bring that cost down by purchasing the items in larger bulk. I buy my stuff locally and have a couple of well stocked shops in the area. If you have to have them shipped, you be paying the shipping and HazMat fees as well.

For me, the best part of reloading [long term] is the fact that I can shoot reduced loads. Yes, you can really load the 10 beyond what most vendors have on their shelves, but the reduced loads [in my opinion only] puts less stress on the firearm. Not certain if that equates to more longevity for the gun, but makes shooting more pleasant.

Good luck
Old February 8, 2018, 09:36 AM   #14
locknloader

The other great thing is increased accuracy. My reloads shoot way better than crappy target ammo from winchester/remington.
Old February 8, 2018, 11:26 AM   #15
mikld

I agree with the fellers above, it's your brass they are in fact confiscating it if it hits the floor. If you dropped something else on the floor, like car keys, shooting glasses, or even a gun, would it become the range's? I'd look for another range.

I often buy "once fired brass" and if money were a consideration, that helps. https://www.google.com/search?q=once...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But for me and many others there are many more reasons to reload than just saving money. Besides liking to reload, the entire process from researching a load to recording analyzing the results, I get great satisfaction from getting itty bitty groups from my handloads (yeah sure!).
Old February 8, 2018, 12:25 PM   #16
jugornot

Do they make a brass catcher for 1911? catcher Google is your friend.
IMHO unless you can devote a good amount of time, do not reload. It takes time away from family, friends and other hobbies.
Old February 8, 2018, 12:34 PM   #17
Don Fischer

Definitely a new place to shoot. Bet if you asked at the range they would sell you brass back!
Old February 8, 2018, 12:44 PM   #18
BigJimP

There are "brass catchers" ....a hoop on a stand - with a net ...and if you stand in the right spot ...your gun will eject right into the hoop 95% or more of the time probably. ( but you have to stand in the right spot ).
--------------
Look for another range....
-------------
I reload about 25,000 rds of 9mm a year...and I sweep up all kinds of brass at my local indoor range. With a premium jacketed bullet..( 115 gr FMJ from Montana Gold ) it works out to about $6 for a box of 50 rds --- if you buy your components in bulk -- powder in 8 lb cannisters, ( bullets by the case ( 4,000 to a case for about $ 350 delivered ) are your most expensive component ), primers by the case 5,000 per case -- and free brass. I haven't purchased brass in over 30 yrs, so I have no idea how much it costs.

Dillon 650 press with a case feeder...can easily turn out 15 boxes an hour without breaking a sweat. So time to me is not a factor.

I don't look at cost savings with reloading...but the reality is, I shoot twice as much --maybe 3 times as much ...with the same ammo budget. Your savings are greater on .45 acp, .357 Mag, etc.../ and if you shoot revolvers its not a problem keeping all your brass.

I like reloading, to me its part of the gun hobby. I like developing softer shooting rounds for some of my younger grandkids to shoot ...and working thru the whole process. Its also quiet time in my shop... I like teaching others how to reload...grandkids, etc...
Old February 8, 2018, 03:04 PM   #19
fredvon4

SkunkApe60

Back at beginnig ov Obama admin I had just got serious with 9mm, 45 Colt and 45 ACP shooting a lot weekly

Ammo drought for what ever reason drove me to reload as cost per shot was between 50 cent to over a buck when I could find factory loads

MY initial cost out lay with Lee stuff from the factory outlet was under $400 to augment a RCBS rock crusher I already had

with scrounged brass from friends and range pick up and some new starline that I interned to reload many times I got per shot down under 30 cents... Bulk lead and jacketed bullets are easy in the check book if shopped for locally

Research for good powders and primers and try hard to get locally also to avoid haz mat fees

I actually shoot more today than back then and holding my reloading off as I can currently get most of my store bought ammo in bulk cheaper than I can make it

I think reloading is a good skill and can certainly get past the various droughts and price fluctuation that are IMO inevitable as we continue to have the insane political atmosphere we all created by stupids voting

I am glad I did not jump right in with a good to better progressive...baby steps for me

Hell I was safety nervous enough doing it in batches on three presses....now that the process and check points are eye hand brain trained I would love a ammo factory but right now it is not that cost effective...for me
Old February 8, 2018, 03:37 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Quote:
My apologies if my original comment came off as terse. Although it certainly wasn't meant to be, there was indeed a good amount of emotion behind it. The thought of a range telling me I can't collect my brass really chafes my hide.

I've never done the math. I suppose there are savings to be had by loading your own - even if you can't re-use your brass.

Component costs aside, here's something to consider: your time. This is actually the make or break part of loading your own in terms of economics. If you enjoy loading your own - it's something you truly enjoy doing - brass prep, cleaning, loading, testing, record keeping, the whole thing - then loading your own is worth your time. If you don't enjoy it, that is known as a chore, and it won't be worth your time. It's really that simple.

A lot of people start handloading to save money. Only the ones who enjoy the process continue doing it. For those people, it is a hobby and craft they enjoy on its own merit. For those who don't, their equipment ends up in the corner of their garage, collecting dust. I've seen it many times.
Old February 8, 2018, 03:43 PM   #21
locknloader

If you are mechanically inclined and enjoy building/tinkering, you will love reloading!

To echo what others have already said, i find myself shooting a lot more now and i enjoy reloading as much, if not more than shooting itself!
Old February 8, 2018, 04:27 PM   #22
higgite

Quote:
My problem is the only place in my area that I can shoot, won't let you pick up your brass once it hits the floor.
I suppose they would want to keep your wallet if you dropped it and it hit the floor, too?
Old February 8, 2018, 05:12 PM   #23
Wendyj

Go to Realguns.com. They have a factory verses reloading calculater to plug all your numbers in and hit calculate. I’ve not seen any rounds that I couldn’t reload cheaper after dies. It will tell how many rounds before you break even. I’ve never left my brass anywhere though.
Old February 8, 2018, 09:53 PM   #24
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Look up AmmoSeek. There's deals for 1000 rounds for $140 out there.
I'm an avid reloader, but I don't bother to reload ANY pistol cartridges. It's just not worth the time (to me) to reload them due to the really low prices of remanufactured pistol ammo these days. Cheaper and easier and faster to just buy them.
Old February 9, 2018, 11:26 AM   #25
mikld

My solution to a "questionable" range policy on brass was I swept behind, and around the stall before I started shooting. After shooting I swept up the brass in the area which was only my brass. I definitely was not "mining" brass from other shooters, just mine. RO never said a word...