The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2018, 10:38 PM   #26
Troy800

I store alot of stuff in mylar bags with silica gel (VCI paper if corrosion is a consern) I have a smalll toaster oven in the garage to recharge. I mostly buy them from the big A site but check any preper site qnd you will find them to fit ammo cans and 5gl buckets.
Old February 16, 2018, 02:50 AM   #27
Metal god

Quote:
I am thinking *plastic* ammo cans that has a rubber gasket and put some silica gel packets in each of them? (color change kind so i can check and re-charge them as needed).
That's what I do for the ones stored . I keep 2 or 3k of each type in the loading room just on shelves . The rest are stored in plastic ammo cans in the basement . I did vacuum seal them for a small time but I burn through them fast enough for that not to be really needed if it ever was needed at all .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 20, 2018, 09:54 AM   #28
jamaica

Here in high dry Utah I just put them on a shelf in the cupboard. We never get humidity levels that will hurt them.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:30 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

Late to the party again

It's the "usual three": Cool; Dry; Dark.

Primers are pretty stable though.

Dark is easy. Dry is easy here in California. Cool is a challenge. I keep them indoors. I buy them by the case (5000ct) and leave them in their original packaging. I do take the precaution of not stacking all the cases together. They're spread out in various locations. And no; none are in a sealed container - for the reason mentioned. Same with propellant.
Old February 22, 2018, 02:44 PM   #30
fredvon4

I tend to keep many products in the Climate Controlled house

I do LONG term store some items....Bulk ammo, Model airplane engines, Primers, Powders, Glow fuel, in a variety of methods and all are absolute over kill for my 63 year old butt....just OCD

All storage include readily and cheap Descant packs

Rubber seal ammo cans
Vacuum bags
Just plain Zip lock

OK Texas can sing form 100% humidity to 13% in one day... but the in house swing is less dramatic... 23% to 45%

So truth is...IN a typical Air conditioned house, factory packaging is good for long shelf life

Hell I bought 2 hand guns way back just to pass on to my son....or later his

Years of annual cleaning.... wife got a cool high end Food Vaccum...
Both were factory fresh... one load of ammo by me... ultrasonic and total anal cleaning...CLP and suck bagged 7 years ago...annually at "clean all the danged guns" exercise I pull them out... no deterioration I can see...yes the bores got grease

I tend to believe if you reload out in some shed...you should still keep all the powders and primers in the better climate controlled house

I might be convinced that humidity is not as much a problem as extreme temp swing... not so much the powder but a primer is a chemical/mechanical item

Extreme cold and extreme hot simply has to cause a lot of cycling from shrink to grow tightening the anvil, cracking the mix...I dunno...seems to me keeping them stable is easy and good idea
Old February 23, 2018, 10:52 PM   #31
Machineguntony

When I got back into reloading in 2013, there was a sale somewhere on primers (I forget where), at $16 per/1000 shipped plus haz mat of $25/50k, so I ended buying their entire supply, which came out to several hundred thousand primers. It’s been almost five years since and the primers show no problem. Primers store really well and are relatively safe. Just keep them in their original packaging.

If you find a primer sale, stock up because you can never have enough primers.
Old February 24, 2018, 07:31 AM   #32
locknloader

Damn.... if they were that deeply discounted i would have bought them out too!!!!

I settled on vacuum bag with a desiccant pouch tossed in for good measure, maybe overkill but only took a second to bag them up, worth the peace of mind.
Old February 24, 2018, 09:14 PM   #33
Nick_C_S

Quote:
you can never have enough primers.
Like guns themselves: if you know how many you have; you don't have enough .
Old February 25, 2018, 01:20 AM   #34
Metal god

Quote:
Like guns themselves: if you know how many you have; you don't have enough
Yep , Do any of you remember the days when you took "all" your guns to the range to shoot . The thought of that now is ... well it's not a thought that's for sure .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 25, 2018, 01:31 PM   #35
mkl

Nick C S wrote:
Quote:
Like guns themselves: if you know how many you have; you don't have enough
Back when I started collecting firearms I came up with a simple rule:

One firearm for every year of your age.

Simple, and like a 401K it builds up to a really nice figure over time.