The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old October 9, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Smith & Wesson Customer Service

Has anybody had bad customer service from S&W lately?

I had never dealt with them before and I have been reading good reviews of S&W from members here.

I had sent them my .380 bodyguard as it was misfiring which they had received August 23, 2017 and have not heard from them until I called. I called two Fridays ago and they did confirmed they had it and the rep did see that it was just "sitting" there. He was going to see if he can speed the process and that was it for the conversation. No call for a few days and I called again. When I gave my rma #, the rep asked me what was it sent for. So I told him about the misfiring. I even asked the rep what is the time frame for reviewing and repairing firearms if needed. They said from 3-5 weeks. This worried me as it seemed to me they had no idea why it was there for when I sent what was asked of me with all details when I sent the firearm to S&W. He said he was going to check and call me again. Few days passed and nothing again. Will be calling again today.

As this is my first time dealing with S&W, I don't want to judge quickly and have a negative idea of S&W. The only thing that bothers is the fact they I don't know what is the reason for them asking me why it was there after 1 month and the fact they don't call to let me know what is going on. Makes it seem as there is something else wrong based on the second conversation with the rep last Wednesday.

Is this something I should be of concerned with? I just purchased a 9mm shield. If this is what I am to expect from S&W, then that sucks for me.

I understand that there are other people ahead of me.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Evan Thomas

Moved to the Retail Deals and Feedback forum.

Note that the rules for this forum are now in effect. Please read them before commenting, as well as the general Gun Show rules.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

I've had good CS with S&W and an experience similar to what you've described. I can't say whether it's a trend, as I've only dealt with their CS once in the recent past. But I've had similar experiences with another gun manufacturer (one good/one bad), so it may just be coincidence. At the end of the day, however, it's very likely that you'll get your Shield back in good working order, which is the most important part. I do wonder at what might be really going on behind closed doors, but since that's nothing but conjecture, I'll just say that they need to work on their consistency in that area. Hope everything works out.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Cloudfish

Smith and Wesson Great Service!

I own a Thompson Center ICON 308 rifle, which was like new when I bought it from the original owner. The only problem waht that it had a crack in the fore end of the stock. S & W now owns Thompson Center. As I was checking out their Website, I noticed this rife had a recall concerning the safety mechanism. I contacted S & W and they sent me a shipping label to send them the rifle. After two and half weeks, the rifle was returned to me. To my surprise, S & W replaced the safety, the trigger, and replaced the old stock with a beautiful walnut stock. Thank you Smith and Wesson. Their customer service was fast, efficient, and so generous. I own three S & W guns and I will certainly buy more of their products with this kind of service! A Loyal Customer
Old May 26, 2018, 01:00 AM   #5
Ledslnger

They sent me a note saying my SKU didn’t qualify for their last rebate. Contacted them regarding it, they “escalated” it. We will see what happens. Not holding my breath!
Old June 12, 2018, 06:50 PM   #6
GarandTd

I've had to contact S&W customer service a couple times now for my M&P22 Compact. The 1st time was to request a wrench for the thread protector. They obliged and a week later, I had received the wrench in the mail. The 2nd time was about an issue with the adjustable rear sight. I noticed the rear sight blade was loose and able to wiggle back and forth freely. Upon further inspection, I found that a tiny spring was missing from behind the windage adjustment screw on the rear sight assembly. I contacted S&W and explained the problem. A week later, I had an envelope in my mailbox with the missing spring, but also an additional adjustment screw and a rear sight blade. Both times, I corresponded via email. Both times I received a response the next day. Both times I had the needed parts within a week. So far, S&W has lived up to the hype.

For me, the customer service has been good, but.....not needing customer service would be better. I have cheaper firearms from less reputable companies that have never needed customer service.

Bittersweet would be a good description of S&W customer service. To have good customer service is asking for a backhanded compliment...imo.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Ledslnger

They haven’t got back to me at all. Looks like they are content to screw me out of $.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:00 AM   #8
riffraff

Recent experience of mine, not quite yet fully through it (since I haven't picked up the rifle to know)..

M&P 10, bought new in March - sent it back to them in April, basically not put together right, something I could've fixed but I wanted it done right without causing any warranty question later.

Was very easy getting the process started but an error was made where they sent the shipping label to the wrong email, so a 2nd call was needed, but they stayed on the phone the 2nd time to make sure I got it.

Within a few weeks of returning it I got confirmation the repair was in process, that I should see the rifle in 2 weeks, and additionally that they needed to replace the lower, so needed an FFL to ship it to. I quickly provided the FFL.

Waited a few days, got no confirmation they received the info or were preparing to ship, or what they were doing. Sent email to the person who requested the shipping info - no response. Called a day or two after that, transferred to her voicemail.. Waited a few days, no return call, called back and the rep said he talked to her and she would call me back "today" (and all I wanted was confirmation they were OK w/ the FFL and some ballpark of when they would ship - kinda silly to need to bug them over that)..

Still I got no call, no email, called again a few days after that and the rep confirmed everything was all set but was not sure on shipping ballpark just that it should not be long.

Then without any communication it arrived at my FFL about 2 weeks later. Has been there about a week, waiting on some other things I ordered to show up so I can do one background check and pickup.

Provided I have a good working rifle I guess it went OK, was fairly easy and of no cost to me, but their communication is very lacking - they should at least send an email to confirm/update customers - ie when rifle is repaired, when FFL info is received, to confirm shipping, return phone calls from customers.

Basically if I just stupidly shipped the rifle in, sent them the FFL when they asked, and never once thought about anything, the experience would be no stress I guess.. But most people are not quite that patient or trusting, so a very small amount of communication would go a long way.
Old June 22, 2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Ricklin

Providing great customer service is an art, and a science. A big part of great customer service are team members who interface well with or are former salespeople.

My point is sales understands the importance of excellent customer service.