The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2016, 08:56 PM   #26
Onward Allusion

Quote:
If Taurus guns were as bad as you hear on the Internet, they would have gone out of business 15 years ago!
I think Bill's hit it spot on.

I currently have 10 of their revolvers and at one time that number was probably close to 20. I never had problems with any of 'em. Caveat being revolvers. As for their semi's, I've heard good and bad. We all know how that goes...one bad experience and 100,000 folks will read it on the web.
Old December 6, 2016, 09:19 PM   #27
Ricklin

Yup and can't beat it

I have a blued model 94 .22 5" I think

Great little revolver. It's got a heavy double action trigger pull, but that's the nature of the beast considering the frame size.
The single action pull is quite good. My only issue thus far was getting the grips off. Apparently they used a little loc tite or overtightened the grip screw. Finally got the grips off without destroying them.

So far I am quite pleased for 200 bucks. It's more accurate than I am. I kinda like the little 9 shooter.
Old December 6, 2016, 11:18 PM   #28
franco45

I currently own 5 Taurus revolvers and a TCP. All the revolvers have been 100%. The TCP has also been very reliable but lost it's place in my front pocket to an RM380. I would still have my PT11 G2, which was a good little gun, if I hadn't traded it on a Beretta PX4 subcompact.
Old December 7, 2016, 01:11 AM   #29
BigMikey76

Love my PT 111 G2. It is my EDC. I have lost count on rounds fired, but it is in the "lots" category. Only 1 FTE, and it was definitely an ammo issue (cheap steel cased fmj that also caused FTE in other guns that were otherwise flawless).
I would not hesitate to suggest it, and the success i have had with it has landed a couple of other Taurus offerings on my wish list.
Old December 7, 2016, 02:02 AM   #30
shootniron

I have had too much trouble with the 3 revolvers that I have had...to ever buy another of their handguns.

I bought a new Rossi 92 in April...it has been superb.
Old December 7, 2016, 02:49 PM   #31
Bill DeShivs

You do know Rossis are made by Taurus, right?
Old December 7, 2016, 04:22 PM   #32
KMAX

I have/had nine Taurus handguns. I have/had three S&W handguns. I've had more problems with the three S&W than all the Taurii. You would think it would be fewer considering the number of guns and the fact that S&W cost more. Based on my experience, I would say your chances of getting a good one are pretty high. I put away my S&W Shield when my wife gave me a PT111 for Christmas last year.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 8, 2016, 07:56 AM   #33
Ibmikey

The back and forth experiences can go on forever--- with most brands, however I know of several shops that stopped selling the Taurus revolver except on special order and no guarantee by the shop it would work. Never heard that about Colt or S&W.
OP should physically inspect the intended purchase, compare it with others in a like category and make his own decision as this " I would--I would not" can go on forever ( and it does with a post like this every week or two).
Rememmber: You usually get what you pay for and selecting a life protecting device shhould not be done as a result of a forum post.
Old December 9, 2016, 01:33 PM   #34
firechicken

I've always turned my nose up at Taurus handguns. I thought they were low quality/cheap guns. I had a friend show me his new PT111 G2 and I have to say I was pretty impressed. Looked good and felt good. After I saw what he paid, I was really impressed! I have one of my own now with about 160 rounds through it. 1/2 of those with my novice wife shooting it. No issues at all. It's a keeper!
Old December 9, 2016, 07:03 PM   #35
Onward Allusion

Quote:
You do know Rossis are made by Taurus, right?
Ouch
Old December 9, 2016, 07:59 PM   #36
ritepath

I had a pt145 gen 4 that I wouldn't hit a goat in the ass with...pure junk.

After several years of being bitter at buying a lemon, my neighbor bought two G2's. After several hundred trouble free rounds, and dozens and dozens of threads like this one I ponied up the big bucks....189 for what may be the third best carry pistol I've ever owned.

As for sending guns back...don't just sell it. Unless it's a CZ. Cookie cutter guns aren't worth the time to send back.
Old December 10, 2016, 10:57 PM   #37
Bamashooter

The first gun I ever bought new was a PT-145 Pro. It was a damn fine pistol and I never had one single issue out of it. Not sure how many rounds went downrange while I owned it but it was thousands. Got nervous after the recall stuff came out and stopped carrying it. Sold it not to long ago to a guy who wouldnt stop bugging me to sell it to him. Brother in law has a PT-111 thats old, had it for a long time. The times I shot it it shot good and was extremely accurate. Dont know of any issues he has had with it. I have a M85 Ultralite and my wife has a M85 PolyProtector and I really like both of the Taurus revolvers. Taurus has been bashed relentlessly over the years and all I can say is my experience with them has been good. Would I buy another Taurus pistol? Yes I would.
Old December 10, 2016, 11:25 PM   #38
Buckeye!

Mine works and works well ...

I have several Taurus semi auto pistols PT111 G2, PT145 PRO , PT845, PT709 & a PT738 .... and two revolvers M605 , Heritage 22/22mag

Ritepath ,,They're no such pistol as a PT145 Gen 4

And my PT145 PRO is carried more than my Glock 30S

Last edited by Buckeye!; December 10, 2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old December 14, 2016, 10:58 AM   #39
jackstrawIII

You lost me at "Taurus".
Old December 14, 2016, 11:15 AM   #40
kmw1954

jackstrawIII then why did you even bother to post?
Old December 16, 2016, 10:21 AM   #41
P71pilot

I wouldnt,

I think there are better choices for around the same money, like an LCP9 or G43
Old December 17, 2016, 10:12 PM   #42
del1964

I have a Millinium 2. I really like it. I like it enough and have enough confidence in it that it is my daughters daily carry piece. She shoots it daily and well. Just my 2 cents
Old December 17, 2016, 11:33 PM   #43
Jim in San Antonio

I've had one for a year or two now. I mostly bought it because it was inexpensive, and I figured if nothing else, I could stash it as trading material. (This was pre-election.)

As it turned out, it's a good pistol. My only real complaint is, as many others have said, the trigger pull. It's long, and doesn't break until the trigger is nearly to the back of the trigger guard. It's more an irritant than a major problem for me, but someone with big hands might have a problem with it.
Old December 17, 2016, 11:37 PM   #44
tahunua001

I like the guy who says that this is a good gun and works well but has seen fit to wrap it with what appears to be an entire roll of electrical tape.
Old December 18, 2016, 12:00 AM   #45
RoughDivider

I'll bite and throw in my opinion based on what I've found scouring the Internet. It seems if you get a good Taurus it works great and is just as good as any other gun. The issue here is getting a good one since they seem to have more issues than other major manufacturers, I really didn't want to get into the hassle of dealing with them over issues the gun could develop so when I was strapped for cash and looking for something for my gf I got her a LCP, in muddygirl camo of course. And when I wasn't strapped for cash I got her a P229.
Old December 18, 2016, 09:09 AM   #46
bjw741

I have a G2 and really like it. Have not had any issues with it . . . goes bang every time and puts the hole where I'm pointing it. Great value gun.

The single action trigger does take a little getting used to though.

The second strike double action trigger pull is very nice. Too bad its not DAO. Anybody know if its possible to convert it to DAO?
Old December 18, 2016, 02:18 PM   #47
BigBL87

I had a PT111 G2, ended up selling it to my father-in-law because he wanted a "larger" caliber handgun (all he owned previously was a Ruger Mark II). He loves it, and I liked it well enough when I owned it. The reason I sold it was I just didn't like the amount of take up in the trigger. I'm sure with time I could have gotten used to it, but I decided to go with something else.

For the price, I think it's hard to beat for utility. It's a compact (arguably almost a subcompact) that, IMO, doesn't "feel" like a compact/subcompact shooting it but conceals like one while having a 12 round capacity. Taurus does not have the best reputation as far as reliability, but the PT111 G2 along with the PT-92 have been two notable exceptions to that reputation based on the general consensus online.

Bottom line for me, I would not be afraid to carry one. That said, I prefer my S&W Shield that I replaced mine with because the build quality just feels a bit better and I like the slimmer profile. If I got a good deal on another PT111 G2, though, I wouldn't pass it up.

Quote:
I like the guy who says that this is a good gun and works well but has seen fit to wrap it with what appears to be an entire roll of electrical tape.
So? People put Hogue (or one of the many other brands) grip sleeves on lots of different handguns all the time to make them more comfortable. Same concept. Not saying it's an amazing gun, but that's a pretty weak criticism.

Last edited by BigBL87; December 18, 2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:15 PM   #48
atrkr

look at the serial #

look at the last letter if its past D or preferably E, your good. previous models had some bugs i have heard.
i have one last letter E and have fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds not one problem. dirty or clean it works with whatever ammo i put in it. never tried aluminum case but they suck anyway. very accurate. the trigger first pull is a little long but smooth and get used to the reset and follow ups are like a glock. the feel of the slide when it fires is like snot on a door knob, very smooth and slick feeling. i love mine as you can tell.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:22 PM   #49
atrkr

tape on handle reply

the tape on the handle is because taurus got a little carried away with the grips. in attempt to give a better grip on the gun the made the grips ruff, but there are a lot of sharp feeling edges that will actually wear a hole in a shirt. i took a flat file to mine took about 20 seconds and it is still grippy but less stabby. it will make the grips a little white from filing the plastic at first but it goes away with handling. after that u are good and you dont look like an idiot with electrical tape on your handles.
they do make slip on grip things for a few $ instead of tape sir.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:23 PM   #50
atrkr

tape

thats not my taped up ghetto gun by the way