The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 13, 2001, 08:48 PM   #1
Cawdor

I am going to change the sights on my Glock 30. Brownells sells a front sight tool for the Glock. Do I need it?
Old February 13, 2001, 08:55 PM   #2
faiello5

No. A small pair of needle nose pliers will work just as well. Don't forget do degrease the threads and use a small drop of blue LocTite. Good luck.

Regards,
Frank

Old February 14, 2001, 10:47 AM   #3
skevlar

FWIW, all a Glock front sight tool is, is a 3/16" nut driver. The cheapest Dime-Store one to be found is more than adequate. On some Glocks you may find it desirable to file or grind down the outside diameter to fit. Be aware that the very thin headed flat screw can be easily snapped off. It needs only minimal snugging down, no more than 1/8 turn after all the slack is taken up. As Frank mentioned degreasing is important as any oil can markedly reduce the holding strength of Loctite.
Old February 14, 2001, 06:35 PM   #4
Cawdor

Thanks. You've confirmed what I suspected.
Old February 15, 2001, 05:14 PM   #5
7th Fleet

Front Sights

The standard Glock factory front sight is plastic and is held in place by a very small plastic pin that goes in from the underside into the bottom of the sight. Take a pair of fine needle nose pliars and pull it straight out and the sight will come right off. You might need to get it started out, by prying it up slightly with a sharp pick, then pull it out with the needle nose pliars. Nothing to it. The night sights are held on by a small hex head screw and it too is easily removed from the bottom of the slide.

7th... LEO Glock Armorer