The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 20, 2014, 12:31 AM   #1
EchoM70

Self-Proclaimed Ruger Fanatic

Now don't get me wrong I'm not what some would call a "loyalist." I own and enjoy firearms from Marlin, Glock, Remington, Savage, Winchester, Tikka, Colt and Sako just to name a few. However Ruger is the most prominent brand I own and spread across multiple platforms. Ruger always has a firearm to fit my needs perfectly, it's like they just know.

For example I've been looking for an AR10 platform rifle and today after going over my other choices I finally decided on the Ruger SR762.

When I was looking for a piston AR-15 I went with the SR556.

My home defense handgun is the Ruger SR1911.

My concealed carry is a Ruger SR9c

My main hunting rifle is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 30/06, and my "bigger game" rifle is a Ruger Magnum Hunter.

When I was looking for a compact rifle, I looked no further than the Ruger Hawkeye Compact in .308.

My favorite carbine is you guessed it a Ruger 77/44

I plink with a Ruger 10/22.

My varmint rifle is a Remington, However I just purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 creedmoor that will see varmints, big game, targets. guess you could call that one my general use rifle.

Even my wife's favorite rifle is her Ruger M77 Mark II in .308. Ruger runs deep in this family and for good reason. For the most part Ruger has been the best choice for my needs and wants. Every Ruger rifle I own after some load development have been sub-moa shooters, even the 77/44 at 100 yards will produce 1.25in groups with Hornady XTP ammo if I do my part. I did have to send a .243 Hawkeye Sporter back to Ruger cause of some stock issues, but turnaround was a about 10 days and I got a flawless rifle back.

Ruger just all around had exactly what I've wanted and meet/exceeded my expectations across the board. I'm truly a fan and loyal customer and will be for years to come as long as they keep it up!

Last edited by EchoM70; March 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old March 20, 2014, 03:32 AM   #2
bamaranger

numbers

A glance around the safe, even discounting handguns, shows more Rugers in my armory too. If you count handguns, Ruger then wins by a landslide.

But.....all my Ruger stuff was bought either 20 years ago or more, or minimally, bought used and was manufactured in that era.

Bill Ruger was an interesting character, and had a knack for producing firearms that he knew shooters would buy. Oh....a few duds here and there, but some resounding successes that still sell well. And, some one of a kind designs that were snapped up gladly by certain folks who were looking for just such a niche item.

Consider:
-Ruger brought the first affordable, box fed .223 to the market way back in the 1980-s with the Mini-14. They sold like hotcakes for a long time, though now the AR family has taken the limelight.
-Ruger sold the only semi .44 carbine ever made, in fact they sold 2 models
-Ruger sold the finest percussion revolver ever made, the Old Army
-Ruger snatched the SA revolver market right out from under Colts nose
-Ruger went head to head with its DA "Six" series with the big boys and held their own
-Ruger went head to head with the "77" series " " " ''
-Ruger brought the Mini-30 to the market long before the AK family was so readily available, or popular
-Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 was one of the first quality x39 sporters on the market
-Rugers 77/22 was a quality .22 in market full of bargain bolts at the time
-Ruger Scout is now extremely popular
-Ruger produced the International/Mannlicher stocked rifles when no other domestic manufacturer would consider it.
-Ruger made the darling No. 3 carbine in a wide array of cals. .22 Hornet to 45-70.....wow
-Ruger made the No1, in a world of repeaters, and they still sell ( I bet not for long)

I might go on, but the points made. Ruger produced products that were unique, innovative, durable and affordable. Unfortunately, speaking for myself, not much they've made recently is attractive to me, excluding the Scout.

The Old Army, the Six series, the .44's, the No. 3's are gone forever. So is the "we make it cause I say so" mentality of the old man that made Ruger what it is....or regrettably, was.
Old March 20, 2014, 06:32 AM   #3
dgludwig

Curiously, there is really only one major category of firearms that Ruger has never addressed: repeating shotguns. I still look forward to the day when Ruger introduces their version of a pump and/or semi-auto shotgun. And I'm not getting any younger so they better darn well get cracking.
Old March 20, 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Bart B.

Ruger's attempt to build extremely accurate .308 Win match rifles in 1991 for the USA Palma Team may have been embarrassing for them. Single shot flimsy Model 77 receivers with vertical front stock screws, horrible triggers, poorly shaped stock, Green Mountain barrels with rough and irregular bore dimensions. The sights the put on them were the best made. They were called tub guns because their test groups at long range were the size of wash tubs.

Tiger does make pretty good hunting rifles.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 20, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old March 20, 2014, 08:39 AM   #5
AllenJ

Quote:
Single shot flimsy Model 77 receivers
That statement surprises me Bart, I've always been led to believe the M77 was one of the strongest actions?
Old March 20, 2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Bart B.

Allen, all the modern bolt actions made in the USA are plenty strong. Some don't have enough metal in all the right places to make them stiff.

Remington 700 long receivers are several ounces lighter in weight than Winchester 70 ones yet about 15% stronger. The Winchester is near 3 times stiffer.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Sierra280

I've been keeping my eye out for a ar10 style gun for a long time, I've read several reviews of the sr762, I agree that it looks pretty good. My only complaint is that they couldn't have floated to barrel? Even the remR25 has a full floated barrel!

As for ruger guns being the best, I'm afraid I have more Remington's in my collection than any other brand. However, I will say that the most beautiful gun in my collection, the gun I enjoy just looking at, displayed front and center in the rifle rack, is my Ruger No.1.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:06 AM   #8
madmo44mag

I’ve been shooting Rugers long before they were considered a top brand firearm.
I love Ruger revolvers.
IMHO the best revolvers made.
The majority of my revolvers are Rugers and half my semi autos are Rugers; so to say I am brand loyal would be a correct statement.
I have abused a couple of SBH 44mags to the point I wore the forcing cone out on one and Ruger replaced the barrel for free.
Great guns and good value IMHO.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:30 AM   #9
geetarman

I also have a fondness for Ruger. . .especially the M77s. Mine are all the old tang safety and were produced in the early 70's. Not a thing wrong with them.

I also have some Ruger handguns. My first handgun is an old Single Six Convertible that I bought in Key West when I was in the Navy. My son has that now and it still shoots just fine.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 20, 2014, 07:18 PM   #10
kilotanker22

i have recently bought my first ruger a 77 hawkeye in 270.

i am now getting ready to buy my second ruger
Old March 24, 2014, 09:37 PM   #11
imp

I'm not trying to be course or mean, but I did not own a Ruger product until after Bill Ruger died, and actually a few years after that, when the direction of the company had noticeably changed. Since then I have added three Ruger firearms, and I'm pretty pleased with the outcomes.
Old March 24, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Comancheseven

Ruger#1

This has always been my Dream Gun mine is in 375 H&H Mag. It shoots where you aim it, first shot at 100 yards on a standard B-27 was dead on center chest. My buddy got his in 458 Win. Mag. They are the best looking single shot on the market. Just like to look at it, and love to shoot it. One of my will never get rid of it guns in my collection.
Old March 25, 2014, 01:14 AM   #13
bamaranger

interesting

Hey Imp, no problem, ....tell me if you don't care, what "direction change" did you sense?
I know my take on it, what's yours? Would you mind stating what 3 Rugers you bought?

No scorch inbound, honest.....different strokes and all that. Curious though, to see your take and what buys you made resultant.

We seem on different sides of the fence for sure.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:01 AM   #14
imp

As inventive as the old man was, it was his support of the AWB and limited magazine capacities that burned me. However, with the introduction of the Ruger AR's, the bx-25 magazines, etc...it seems the company is again focused on what the customers want and not politics.

Funny, I suppose, that the three I own, a 10/22, a ruger american, and a sr22 pistol, only one has the ability to accept a magazine larger than 10 rds, and I dont own any of those magazines.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:39 AM   #15
Unlicensed Dremel

Ahhh, Sturm-Ruger

They make pretty good to very good guns, to be sure.

I think their rimfires are moderately overrated, though decent. The Mark 2/3 pistol is ugly as warm-over death and takes 4 hands to assemble (Buckmark much better), and the 10/22, while "OK" is pretty ugly in most configs to my eye and not as accurate as similar Marlin.

Their revolvers are the shiz-nizzle - all them except the butt-ugly SRH, which is a fantastic gun but well, butt-ugly.

Their semi-autos pistols are nice, economical pieces - good values.

Their 77 line rifles are most excellent. I have no experience with the American lines.

The No. 1s and No. 3s are outstanding.

Their AR15s are very good, though a bit overpriced.

I have no experience with their semi-auto centerfire revolver-round guns, nor the similar leverguns - but they seem solid.

I boycotted them as virulently anti-civil-rights (which they were), from 1994 until about 2007. The culmination of three things caused me to end boycott, in order of importance: coming out with an EBR, donating $1 mil to NRA museum, and changing of guard/management.

Due to the end of the boycott, I have enjoyed some of them thoroughly in recent years: The Redhawk, GP100, and 77 style rifles will put a smile on my face.... as will a pretty No. 1. Although I've never actually owned a No. 1 or No. 3. I did get my first 77 style turnbolt this year.

They have a knack for producing some of the ugliest guns in the history of the universe (the SRH, the "canoe-paddle-stock" 77s, older P89s / P90s, 10/22s, Mark 2/3s, Mini-14s, etc.), which is a shame because they're *usually* great guns - maybe it's just me on the aesthetics. As always, that's just eye of the beholder - either you like it or you don't. Some do, apparently.

About the only gun that just flat-out stinks is the Mini-14 / Mini-30. Great action/ function, but horrid accuracy (and fugly to boot).

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; March 25, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:21 PM   #16
Crankylove

I'm a fan of Rugers myself, about 40% of my firearms are Ruger.........

2 Blackhawks .41 Mag, .45/.45 convertible
22/45 MK III
SP101 .327 Federal
GP100 .357 Mag
77/22 Hornet
All weather Hawkeye .358 Winchester
10/22 Carbine

........with a few more on the "to get" list.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:54 AM   #17
bamaranger

what (some) customers want

Imp,
To each his own. I don't give a hoot if my 10/22 can take a 25 rd box, but I am glad they are making 20 rd Mini-30 mags. And oddly, I don't own an AR from anybody.

Seems like I read somewhere that the old man was trying to avert his Mini from being banned, more so than limiting our rifles capacities, despite his comments.

If you don't have a copy of "Ruger and his Guns" by R.L Wilson, you oughta get one. Great pics and good insight to the company, the old man and designs, with lots of commentary by staff who worked with Bill Ruger.

Old Ruger made what the Old Man wanted. Usually for a profit. And a good bit of that was a tad eccentric. New Ruger is making and selling product solely for profit. Solely. When the new bean counters realized just how much money could be made with box mags and AR's, they went their directly.

I liked the Old Ruger, a tad eccentric, but with a "heart" or feel for firearms. In the Wilson book, its discussed that Ol' Ruger liked the term elegant applied to his designs and firearms. I haven't seen much of that since he departed.