The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2014, 02:33 AM   #26
WardenWolf

Anything made by Norma is going to be severely overpriced and overrated.

Really it depends on what you want. If you want to spend $350 on top of the cost of the base rifle, you can make the 10/22 accurate. At that point you're $550 in the hole on a .22. The Savage is a good enough gun, and for most people it will be a better value. The Ruger is only "better" when just about the only thing left original is the receiver, and sometimes not even that.

Ultimately it's all about what's important to you: do you want a rifle that's truly yours, or a cheap plinker that's accurate out of the box? If you've already got a 10/22, upgrading it makes sense. Otherwise you might look at other options.

Note: the $350 I quoted includes the cost for a new stock (necessary for all the good barrels), plus other accessories you'll want to get on top of the barrel. I replaced my hammer and sear with aftermarket titanium parts, giving me a smooth pull to release instead of a jerky pull. You'll also probably want to get an improved barrel retainer bracket.

Last edited by WardenWolf; January 14, 2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:31 AM   #27
haliwa04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardenWolf View Post
Anything made by Norma is going to be severely overpriced and overrated.

Really it depends on what you want. If you want to spend $350 on top of the cost of the base rifle, you can make the 10/22 accurate. At that point you're $550 in the hole on a .22. The Savage is a good enough gun, and for most people it will be a better value. The Ruger is only "better" when just about the only thing left original is the receiver, and sometimes not even that.

Ultimately it's all about what's important to you: do you want a rifle that's truly yours, or a cheap plinker that's accurate out of the box? If you've already got a 10/22, upgrading it makes sense. Otherwise you might look at other options.

Note: the $350 I quoted includes the cost for a new stock (necessary for all the good barrels), plus other accessories you'll want to get on top of the barrel. I replaced my hammer and sear with aftermarket titanium parts, giving me a smooth pull to release instead of a jerky pull. You'll also probably want to get an improved barrel retainer bracket.
I'd have to partially disagree with you. I'm about $250 in to my 10/22, not including glass. With the gm barrel and the trigger work I've done myself, its accurate enough to justify the little money and labor that's gone into it. The factory birch stock is a good base to customize, if you're willing to put the time and effort into it. Looking at rfc, its hard to believe anyone would pay $400 for an aftermarket stock, when there's a wealth of knowledge and how to's available. The only people I could understand not modifying the gun themselves are the folks that have 0 time free.

I'm getting a friend to bead blast my receiver and trigger guard. While he's doing that, I'm going to get my stock ready to be properly bedded and the barrel channel carved out enough to free float the bull barrel. Then, its time to play battleship again. He's bested me in 3 out of 3. Now he's built a $1,000 custom, I'm going to do my best to spank him with $300 kitchen table custom.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:23 AM   #28
WardenWolf

I'm about $150 into mine right now, stock plus trigger group. I wanted a nice Boyd's Evolution stock. They're so comfy. Plus it will allow me to fit a bull barrel. I don't have the equipment to properly open up the factory stock. All I have is a Dremel and the end results of that would NOT be pretty.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:56 PM   #29
L_Killkenny

What a bunch of half truths to outright falsehoods. I'm a centerfire Savage fan, see lots of merit in their rimfire bolt actions and even feel that their rimfire semi's have some value. But they are no 10/22 in function or value. If one really believes that a Savage is "good enough" than one must also believe a bone stock 10/22 is. The Savage has little to none advantage on its best and falls flat in the durability, reliability and magazine departments. In reality they ARE BOTH good enough for the average Joe. But the Savage is no 10/22. If they were Savage would have to be morons for their selling price and millions of bone stock Ruger owners would have to be just as bad.

Accuracy is all relative but by most standards it doesn't take loads if money to have them shoot better than average to outright great. A $35 VQ hammer, $70 factory barrel tune up and a little free to cheap stock work will have you a very accurate rimfire. Better than average and still one of the most durable/reliable rimfire semi's on the market. ALL addition expenditures are gravy with gains coming in small increments. But all that is neither here nor there. Very few 10/22's will ever see one mod and the millions that don't will continue to serve their owners very well.