The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
David Bachelder

I cast a lot of bullets today

I did cast quite a few, maybe 600 or so? A really good day for me and I didn't start till 3PM. It was hot here today, I had the garage door open and the fan running and it didnt help much.

I also used the first mold I ever bought, Its a Lyman and it casts 150 grain SWC. Its a steel mold and I had forgotten how forgiving they can be. I'm used to LEE aluminum molds and from what I saw steel is a much better choice. The Lyman dropped good bullets from the get, no waiting or getting it to the right temp, it just drops good bullets ...... each and every time.

I'm not running LEE molds down, I have several of them and once you finish the learning curve they will drop great bullets too.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Your experience is typical. The Lyman, and other brands of steel moulds, are definitely superior to the aluminum Lee. Lee is popular because of price. One can buy five Lees for the price of one Lyman.
Pick yer pizzen.
Glad you had a good casting session.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #3
salvadore

Information only Dave, I once had a drop of sweat fall into my melting pot. As I remember when it happened I said AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Most of it ended up on the wall fortunately.
Old June 14, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
David Bachelder

A small drop of sweat or water that falls onto the surface of a pot is not likely to produce molten lead spewing everywhere, however it can happen as we see by your post. A drop of sweat or water that manages to get under the surface will produce molten lead spraying everywhere.

Somehow the sweat managed to get beneath the surface. It was a real attention getter wasn't it? I have seen this happen before, up close and personal. Once I was casting hollow points and a very small bit of water was trapped in the hollow point's cavity. When I stopped to do a little culling I tossed the wet hollow point back into the mix.

BOOM!!! Out it came and it came out fast, very fast. Fortunatly I was about three or four steps away whan it went off. The bulk of the spray missed me.

Taught me a lesson.
Old June 14, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
armoredman

I haven't had a visit from the tinsel fairy yet, but I always wear eye protection as well as Kevlar arm guards, apron and gloves when near molten lead - AND a sweat band over the brow.
Nice job, David, always cool when you look over the ranks of lead and realize...hey, I don't have to go to the store and buy bullets...
Old June 14, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Tuzo

Water dropped into hot oil or molten lead has the same reaction of rapid expansion resulting in an explosion of hot stuff. Water, as sweat or otherwise, flashes to steam at the volume ratio of 1:1600. Always be aware and careful in the kitchen or at the melting pot.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
David Bachelder

"Water dropped into hot oil or molten lead has the same reaction of rapid expansion resulting in an explosion of hot stuff. Water, as sweat or otherwise, flashes to steam at the volume ratio of 1:1600. Always be aware and careful in the kitchen or at the melting pot."

How true, I've seen it. I also worked as a plumber for many years, I have been around a lot of lead pots ..... many. I have seen a lot of crazy stuff because of it.

Something else, always preheat your ladle. A cold ladle dipped into hot lead will produce a similar reaction. Not near as violent, but similar.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Beagle333

^^^^^ This! Very true. I learned really fast, that a cold ladle, if plopped down into the soup relatively fast, will blow lead out that little pour hole.
'Got me on the arm with small dot of it.... enough to make a lasting memory.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I am cooling off after casting some 200 grain .452 SWC. Going to be going back out to cast a few more in a few minutes after I cool off, the mold warms up, and lead hits the right temp. Luckily I am working in the shade with a slight breeze that moves the hot sticky, humid central Texas air.