The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1
kuskye25

1858 pietta .44 questions "first BP gun ive owned"

Hi im very new to BP weapons but have always wanted one, i have many cartridge guns so im pretty experienced overall...

i bought a pietta 1858 .44 from cabelas, and bought it with the kit, also i bought locally no.11 caps, and fffg pyrodex P powder...

i have been watching alot of videos and reviewing alot of forum posts so im confident i could go out and shoot no prob, but i want to be doing it right to the last detail...

so i have a few questions? i have attached a picture with each thing i have a question on labeled, and so you can see what im working with....

1. i take it this is what i use to measure the powder, correct, and i have it set for 20 grains currently is this correct for my gun...

2. no idea what this is shed some light on it for me if you would

3. not sure what this is either, if its for loading caps it seems to be easier for me to put the caps on by hand

4. my bullets have a flat spot on them what way will that face when i load it, flat spot facing barrel or away from barrel

5. question? does pyrodex corrode if it hasnt been fired, meaning can the weapon be left loaded with out fear of corroding

and just so i understand the routine i will tell you what i "think" i know, please correct me if im wrong....
-hammer half cocked load one chamber with 20 grains of fffg
-put a wad on top and use the ram to push it down
-then put a bullet on it and ram that down
-then put some included grease around the outside of the bullet sealing it
-repeat for all cylinders
-pinch a cap and put it on each one
-then fire it off
-when im done take the gun apart and wash it out in a sink of soapy water and use a brush to clean it, when done let it dry and relube
Old September 12, 2012, 12:00 PM   #2
pghrich

Hello, you got yourself a fine cap and ball, to answer your questions i will do my best, others will probaly answer as well,
?#1- in my opinion 20 grains is a little light, i use 25grains of 3f goex in all my 44calibers and it works well.
?#2-that is a nipple wrench used to remove the 6 nipples, its recomended to remove them for at least the enitial cleaning and put anti seize on them before you put them back on.
?#3-thats a capper and probaly will not work for your remmie, just use your fingers carefully.
?#4-never really seen a flat spot but non the less flat spot up.
?#5-yes no problem
answer to last paragraph is correct, correct, hope this helps, pghrich
Old September 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
mykeal

The flat spot is called a sprue; it's the result of cutting off the residue from casting the ball. Load the ball so the sprue is facing up, or out, towards the chamber opening; that is, facing the direction of flight.

Anti-seize on the nipple threads....
Old September 12, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Pretty much what pgrich and mykeal has said. In addition:

I use 25 gr fffg in my .44s; but 20 works and may be more accurate in your pistol. Results vary.

If you use the wads between the powder and ball, the lube on the chamber mouth is redundant - and messy.

Sprue up or Sprue down is six of one, half dozen of the other. I always put them sprue down

You shouldn't have to pinch the caps to keep them on the nipples, if you do, they are the wrong size.

Some kind of antiseize dressing is necessary on the nipple threads. I just use Balistol on my nipples to keep them from seizing. Of course I take them out an clean them after every match too.

Oh yeah ................................... Welcome to the Darkside !!!!!!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; September 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5
kuskye25

ok thanks alot guys, ill use 25 grains, just wanted to be sure im doing it all right and that my gun lasts as long as any other gun ive ever owned...

going out to my inlaws to fire it tomorrow, cant wait....

i got no.11 caps after searching forums for what caps to get, the gun recommends no.10's and after having no.11s i think ill order up some no.10s

if i dont pinch the no.11s they can easily fall right off... will they be ok to use for now?
Old September 12, 2012, 02:24 PM   #6
pghrich

Yes; but you will find that tens work better; I use Remington; pghrich
Old September 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #7
kuskye25

ok thanks
Old September 12, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8
nikdfish

I've got the stainless 8" version of the Pietta 1858 Remington 44. For mine, the #10 caps just wouldn't stay on - they appeared to spread out some when put on a nipple, which made for a loose fit. The #11 caps stay on much better. It might be due to a flare from tip to base on the nipple. YMMV.

Nick
Old September 12, 2012, 08:53 PM   #9
North East Redneck

From what I have seen, caps from smallest ID to largest ID- #10 CCI, #11 CCI & #10 Rem. Ampco nipples are very nice. Purchase a set that fits your revolver. About $30. Worth every cent. If #11 CCI are loose try the #10. The above listed caps are the only ones I have experience with. I have had the best luck with #10 Rem. Enjoy, welcome to the world of BP.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:23 PM   #10
mykeal

Old September 12, 2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

I have owned seven '58 Remmies over the past 30 years (down to just four now) and all of them loved Remington No. 10 caps best.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:07 PM   #12
kuskye25

well i got some trigger time in today, pretty fun gun to fire, just did a full disassembly, cleaning, and relubing, shes all ready for next time....

the no.11 caps worked fine with a little pinch before putting them on, they will work for now till i get me some no. 10's

thanks for all the help guys...
Old September 14, 2012, 06:02 AM   #13
pghrich

Your welcome, what loads did you end up using? how many shots ? distance?group size if any?, pghrich
Old September 14, 2012, 06:36 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Some after thoughts

1. You chose a very good revolver to start your journey. Steel frame, good value, a tiny bit less finnicky than the Colt.

2. I generally recommend against the version which includes all of the stuff but I admit that it is a good way to get started.

3. I am an outlier on pinching caps. I am totally against it even though a good many folks on the forum with a whole lot more experience than me, do it all of the time and never have a problem. The only chain fire event I have experienced in many years of shooting occurred (I believe because you can never be certain of these things) because I pinched the caps on a sweet shooting Navy Sheriff. It ruined the pistol to the point where I actually had to make sure the serial number was NOT 666.

4. This is only a hope and not a prediction. I hope you get to enjoy the BP way oflife so much that casting your own bullets, cutting your own wads, making your own lube, and loading with a press (Not so terribly important) get to be included in tht way of life.

Shooting BP revolvers is like owning a sailboat. For every hour you spend sailing, you invest at least ten hours with the boat in the slip and your butt in the air fooling with the engine or the head, or something else. If you don't enjoy that time the boat gets sold cheap (or as I have witness too often, abandoned). Same with BP revolvers. I like washing my pistols as much as I enjoy shooting them. Most of us do and that is why it lasts.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Newton24b

when it comes to pinching cap, unless you spend 40 or more dollars on the capper, the capper is not going to be sized to properly seat the cap on the nipple. if you study the patents, the capper is supposed to squeeze cap onto nipple. just likewe do anyways by hand.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #16
DFrame

Eventually you'll find the caps which work best for your gun. I keep an old "Popcycle stick" in my shooting kit and use it to gently press the caps home after loading. 25 grains is just fine, so is 20 grains. Individual guns vary a bit in what charge they like. If you are NOT using the felt wads be absolutely certain you ARE using a non petroleum lube over the top of the ball. This prevents more than one chamber from firing simultaneously(chainfires can be very dangerous). Sprue up or sprue down? I've never been able to detect any difference. Congrtulations on your gun. It's an excellent replica.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton24b
when it comes to pinching cap, unless you spend 40 or more dollars on the capper, the capper is not going to be sized to properly seat the cap on the nipple. if you study the patents, the capper is supposed to squeeze cap onto nipple. just likewe do anyways by hand.
Ok, if you say so. I've used a Cash revolver capper on numerous Uberti, Pietta, and 2nd Gen Colt style revolvers and on a couple Remington repros with modified cylinders, and manage to get the caps seated with out any problem; and it didn't cost antwhere near $40.

The only capper that I know of for over $40.00 is the replica of the Paterson capper; and, I've never been able to get one to work without dropping caps all over the ground in the process.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; September 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Shotput79

kuskye looks like you got the right gun for the beginning and all the information you need to get you on your way. Oh did anybody tell you the black powder bug bites and you could end up with more than one bp pistol and then some. Just thought someone should let you know.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:34 PM   #19
wogpotter

Quote:
I dispute this. I have 2 cappers that together didn't cost 1/2 that much & they work perfectly.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 19, 2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Noz

5 minutes with a Dremel tool and the Remington will accept any capper including the snail type. Invisible.
#10 Remington caps will solve 90% of your cap problems.
PM me if you wish instructions.

Sprue up or down? What's a sprue. I never look.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:51 AM   #21
wogpotter

Working on the thoery that you always modify the cheapest part my revolver is unmodified.

The cappers are slightly worked on, but it was only 4 minutes & I didn't use a dremel because by the time I'd unpacked & tooled up the thing I was done with an emery board!

All you need to do is slightly taper the ends of the brass so it fits into the existing cylinder cutouts.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”