The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2012, 06:38 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

.30 carbine without checks?

Ok I put down a repro .30 carbine yesterday. I will be casting for it. I am looking at the Lee .309 120 grain GC mold.

Note the manager slugged it for me. It slugged at .308
Can I run them without the gas checks without leading up the barrel?

If not then what do I need to tell the machinist if I want the mold to be made plain base? The machinist is good at what he does, though he is not a shooter, and I would need to tell him what I want done. Afterwards he could do the work.

Better yet a recommended mold that is under $40 that will not need gas checks that I would not have to wait forever to get.

I would prefer to be able to do it myself. Though I do not want to ruin the mold, and I realy do not want to mess with sizing bullets. All of my other Lee molds I can shoot them as cast. Besides gas checks kinda take out the economy of casting as far as my budget for reloading goes.(I live on a janitor's pay, and also have to help Mrs M&P with her car payments from time to time. So money can get tight.)

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; May 28, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:37 AM   #2
GP100man

For plinking no , but as handloaders we tend to experiment & want to shoot different loads & with the 30 carbine you`ll need checks as with anyother rifle approching 2k fps .

I`m sur there`s rifles & handloaders that ca & do reach 2k without checks but as ya said you`ll increase the cost of alloys to get there, in short to go fast ya gotta pay , kinda like drag racing ??
Old May 29, 2012, 06:48 AM   #3
HiBC

Something you might want to think about,pull the bbl and receiver out of the stock,and look at the arrangement of your short stroke gas system.Think about those lead bullets at the upper end of lead bullet velocity wiping by the gas port.Think about how you would de-lead the gas port.

Then,just for fun,poke around and see if you can find bulk fmj's pretty cheap.

Undoubtedly,someone will reply he has fired 784,000 lead bullets through a carbine with no trouble.Thats OK.

I hesitate shooting lead past a gas port I cannot easily clean.

PS,I work for the same pay!!I prefer to call myself a facilties hygenist!!
Old May 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Thanks for the responses. I plan on most of the loads probably being loaded with Trail Boss so high velocity is not the deal. I know the deal of fit is king. I cast for .41 Mag, .38spcl./.357 Mag, .45 acp, and 9mm. I have no problems with lead in any of them. In fact the gunsmith asked what I shot in my Mod. 67-1 S&W .38 spcl. after worked on it. He did not believe that I shot 800 rounds though it without cleaning.

I was asking just to find out if they would obturate the barrel without the checks.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
HiBC

OK,

Its your outfit,you have fun any way you choose.I'm on your side!

An M-1 carbine needs a certain pressure curve to work right.It runs on the gas pressure.The little tappet in the gas cylinder spanks the slide about 1/4 in and thats what starts the cycle.That spank has to be right.

I would not load more than 10 Trail Boss to try.Then see what you think.I do not think they will run semi-auto.

I used to use H-110 and 2400 in my carbine.H-110 is not good for light loads.You have to run full power.

My concern about the lead and gas port :They drill that hole from the outside,into the bore.All drilled holes push a burr of some kind as they break through,even a very small one.You can't go back and de-burr that hole

It breaks in as its shot over,and essentially the burr disappears,but it is a sharp edge.Think cheeze grater as lead bullets are obturating by.Just me,do it your way,I never liked the thought of the heat and lead flakes building up in my gas system.

An M-1 carbine is a lot of fun,Good for you.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
GP100man

I knew I was forgettin summtin ,CARBINE, not a 30carbine revolver, I would`nt
Old May 30, 2012, 11:30 PM   #7
chris in va

My AK's gas system was similar to the M1's. The piston block formed a lead ring that jammed up the action after 50 rounds, even with gas checks.