The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 01:01 AM   #1
DavidB2

Taurus PT 809 compact 9 mm?

Noticed the PT809 compact 9mm today at the local Gun Store. The price and the features of this gun looked impressive. I like hammer fired pistols. However, Taurus does not have the best reputation. Anyone have any experience with that pistol?
Old January 30, 2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Chinny33

keep shopping

I shot my friend's PT809 and grouped the pistol @ 15yds. It was shooting 5" low left.

Simple fix with adjustable sights. Do you really want to invest $100 in adjustable sights to fix a problem that doesnt exist in other brands?

You like hammers DA/SA?

Sig Sauer, H&K, CZ, EAA, Ruger, Beretta

You need to look at this pistol from a different perspective. I would look at it like this..."wow, that pistol is cheap and NO ONE is buying it? HMMMmmmm"
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 30, 2013, 03:26 AM   #3
shootniron

Quote:
You need to look at this pistol from a different perspective. I would look at it like this..."wow, that pistol is cheap and NO ONE is buying it? HMMMmmmm"
What he said.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:50 AM   #4
tristar viper

If you like it, and decide you want to spend money on it, then buy it. Be best to shoot it first, but sometimes that's not possible.
If I listened to everyone who suggested to me I should NOT buy a Taurus, then right now I would not have two of the best guns I have ever had; a Taurus TCP and a recently acquired PT709 Slim. The TCP proved over an almost two year period to be every bit as reliable and dependable as my Glock 19....no joke. Because of that, I bought this 709, and in 2 trips to the range this gun has been super. No failures, more than reasonable accuracy, and a great carry gun. So don't let them scare you about Taurus. Personally I think their quality has come a LONG way in the recent past, and if this 709 continues to be the good gun I expect it to be, then there is a PT740 Slim in my future.
Sorry I didn't speak specifically about that pistol, but I wanted to share my overall Taurus experience so far.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:56 AM   #5
tristar viper

And if a gun shoots low and left in someone other than the owner's hands, then it's not necessarily the guns fault. My wife shoots my Glock low and left...she's a 380 person, and the 9mm makes her flinch in anticipation of the gun going off. It's not the Glocks fault.....
Old January 30, 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
lapetrarca53

Here's a second on the Taurus TCP. Mine's been great through 300 rounds so far. Not one FTF, FTE, FTB.........nothing but an accurate, reliable little gun!
Old January 30, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
SoilworK777

I hear good things about the Sig SP2022. It's roughly the same price as the Taurus you're looking at and it has similar features.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:00 AM   #8
reaganmarine84

As you can clearly tell by my signature line, I own ALOT of Taurus handguns. I own a 809 full size and a 809 compact. I have hundreds of rounds through the 809C with no stoppages or failures of any kind. I recommend you make the purchase, you won't be disappointed. I like the design,natural pointability,aggressive backstrap,de-cocker,accuracy and price point. I know alot of people have had bad experiences with Taurus,fair enough;But, not everyone has had bad experiences with Taurus. ANY,and I mean ANY,company can sometimes produce a pooper. Including Kimber,Wilson,Glock,Sig,Smith&Wesson,FNH,H&K whoever. Go for it.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.