The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 8, 2011, 12:10 PM   #1
LadyLuck

Background check for CCW permit holder?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but wanted to double check. Does a dealer (or FFL) still have to do a background check for a buyer who has a CCW? Not a problem if they do, but I thought I read somewhere that if you already have the license the instacheck is moot.

Thanks in advance!
Old November 8, 2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Pahoo

You'd have to check your state but in our state, as long as the permit is current, that is the background check and you are good to go. ....

In Iowa, you have two kind of permits. One is called a Permit to Purchase. The other, is the CCW permit or carry permit. I should add that you can purchase with both types. Some folks have one or the other and some have both. ..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Depends on your state but should be good to go !!
Old November 8, 2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Don P

It depends on the issuing authority. If law enforcement issued the CCW permit the NICS check can/is waved. Here in FLA our CCW permit is issued by the Dept. of Agriculture ( non-law enforcement agency ) so we have to have the NICS check every time we purchase from a FFL.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4
LadyLuck

Dept of Agriculture, huh?

I'm in Colorado, my CCW was issued by my county SO. We don't have separate purchasing permits.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Don P

Quote:
Dept of Agriculture, huh?
Strange isn't it. Better than it was before the state got involved. Local sheriffs or chief of police would issue and if A was all mad at B then that county would not honor the others permits. made it real tough on the permit holders as to who was urinating on who as to whether you were legal or not plus the state realized the money that could be made issuing CCW permits.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Ronbert

Not it Colorado. Should be - but it's not.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Idahoser

They're considering in TN a law waiving the BGC for licensees. It's a state thing.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Rj1972

In Texas if you have a CCW permit (CHL), then no NCIS background check is required.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:02 PM   #9
divil

Based on this letter, I believe the ATF needs to decide if a particular state's concealed carry laws are sufficient to stand in place of a NICS check. So it's probably not safe to assume it, even if the concealed carry law in your state involves a NICS check (most do).

Kansas and North Dakota are 2 I know of where FFLs can waive the background check for concealed carry license holders.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:03 PM   #10
jimbob86

In Nebraska, we got our Legislature to enact a law that alows our CHP to work as our Firearm Purchase Certificate, essentially doing the NICS check in advance...... and making the NICS unnessessary. It makes gun pruchases simpler..... I've never heard "The system is down...." .....just fill out the form, show my CHP and driver's license, pay, and take my gun home.

IDK what Colorado does..... but these folks could probably help you:

http://www.rmgo.org/
Old November 8, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Niner4Tango

Quote:
I'm in Colorado
Yep, here ya go:

http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/CHP_FAQ.html
Old November 8, 2011, 03:35 PM   #12
glenncal1

Colorado tried to pass that a while ago, if I remember correctly (always a big if) it passed the legislature but was vetoed by the governor.

Many K and N Frames
Old November 8, 2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Dragline45

In Massachusetts everytime I buy a gun before I fill out the paperwork they call into the FBI to do a background check even though I have a CCW that was just renewed less than two years ago. Really not that much of a hassle it has never taken more than 5 minutes.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:37 PM   #14
MonsterB

NH= fill the paperwork out, they call it in, and in 10 to 20 minutes you have your gun. Not sure if that's a background check, they do call the state police I think to get the ok. I don't think they did much of a background check when I got my ccw license, nobody I put as references wete contacted and I had it 21 hours after submitting the aplication. Probably doesn't hurt that I have no police record, never been in trouble for anything. NH is a great state to live in!
Old November 8, 2011, 05:13 PM   #15
brickeyee

Quote:
Does a dealer (or FFL) still have to do a background check for a buyer who has a CCW?
Depends on if BATFE has approved the states CCW process as adequate.

Some have, others not.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:14 PM   #16
pendennis

In Michigan, the CPL license is supposed to be "the background check". However, some dealers do it anyway, as a matter of course.
Old November 9, 2011, 08:09 AM   #17
Don P

This what is written in the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide,
on page 193,
Firearm transfers are exempt from the requirement for a NICS check in 3 situations. These include transfers:
(1) too buyers having a State permit that has been recognized by the ATF as an alternative to a NICS check; (2) of National Firearms Act weapons approved by ATF; and (3) certified by ATF as exempt because compliance with the NICS check requirement is impractical.
[18 U.S.C. 922(t),27 CFR 478.102(d)]
The above reference guide can be ordered from the ATF's web sight FOR FREE. The ATF also has other publications available FOR FREE and all can be found here at www.atf.gov just go to publications and place you order. One of the publications that is good to have is the Personal Firearms record publication # 3312.8
Old November 9, 2011, 08:30 AM   #18
KC Rob

I used to live in VA, they had a limit on the number of handguns you could buy in a month (pretty sure it was one) but if you had a CCW that was waived and you could buy handguns by the box load if you wanted, but I think they still ran the background check despite the CCW license.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:28 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

A background check isn't waived in Kentucky if you are a CCW holder to my knowledge.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:01 PM   #20
22-rimfire

You will have to check the state statutes. Since you don't list a state, nobody here can do that for you or someone from your own state could tell you.

In my state, a NICs check is required for the purchase of a firearm from a FFL dealer. You can buy multiple guns with the same check (same day), but still a check is done.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:39 PM   #21
allenomics

In Florida, you get checked, regardless.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:56 PM   #22
kealil

As previously stated, it depends on your state but in Florida you still get the background check even with a CCW .
Old November 10, 2011, 12:08 AM   #23
divil

Since a few people (including me) seem to have missed this, the OP did say she was in Colorado.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:03 AM   #24
Don P

Quote:
Since a few people (including me) seem to have missed this, the OP did say she was in Colorado.
I was wondering when someone would catch on. As I wrote and quoted from in post #17 the ATF's guide its up to the ATF to deside which states can bypass the NICS and CCW holders.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:17 AM   #25
ammo.crafter

ccw

Anyone have room for a NJ resident and his lab so he can relocate to a gun-friendly state?