The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 31, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
JustThisGuy

Frustrated Sheriff Tells Citizens to Get Conealed Weapons

Well, this is an interesting change...

Quote:
"Sheriff Chuck Wright opened his news conference by saying, "Our form of justice is not making it," and he said, "I'm really aggravated."

He said, "Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."
http://www.wyff4.com/r/29638219/detail.html

Quote:
"Wright said, "It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it." He said people are tired of doing the right thing and criminals getting away with their actions." ...

"Wright said in his view gun control is, "How fast can you can get the barrel of your gun back on the target?" ...

"He encouraged women to walk in groups, and he ended by saying again, "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. Don't get Mace. Get a firearm."
I'll bet he gets eviscerated for this by the mainstream press.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:40 PM   #2
armoredman

Hell yes! My kind of sheriff!
Old October 31, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Stressfire

Quote:
I'll bet he gets eviscerated for this by the mainstream press
Likely, but I'll also bet he gets reelected. I'd vote for him
Old October 31, 2011, 01:44 PM   #4
gnarSKYLER

Best. Sheriff. Ever.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Chaz88

Bad part is if someone rightfully defends themselves he will probably be tried for inciting violence or an accessory or something.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 31, 2011, 02:22 PM   #6
oneounceload

Unfortunately, he will get crucified in the press

but he IS correct - this system stopped working when we started calling them "Correctional Institutions" instead of prison (Go relisten to George Carlin about words)
Old October 31, 2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Seventhsword

Nice!!
Old October 31, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Unfortunately, he will get crucified in the press
Then again I bet he has more credibility with the majority of voters than the average journalist who can barely tell the difference between a handgun, (pistol or cowboy gun), Assault rifle, (any rifle that can fire more than one round without having to reload), or a shogun, (any gun with a very large hole in the end of that long tube thing). I bet the letters to the editor are very entertaining if they print a representative sampling. Very strong pro sheriff and the let us crucify him, hang him and drag him behind a car for a few hundred miles before we vote him out of office crowd.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 31, 2011, 04:17 PM   #9
C0untZer0

He is a sheriff - he should just arrest the bad guys and not pontificate about society and the justice system.

He may have screwed this case beyond rescue with his comments.

One of the things that I noticed is that previously, Walter Lance was convicted of possession of a firearm by a felon.

I've said time and time again that the punishment for that crime is too lenient. I think the NRA should get behind laws that put convicted felons away for 10 years if they are in possesion of a friearm - no plea bargaining, no early release - a straight 10 years, period.

And I think like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the NRA should have people in court watching when judges are lenient on criminals who use firearms to commit crimes.
Old October 31, 2011, 04:21 PM   #10
BGutzman

Quote:
He is a sheriff - he should just arrest the bad guys and not pontificate about society and the justice system.
It seems to me that the Sheriff is doing exactly what he gets paid to do. He is looking to the best interest of his citizens if not the best interest of lawyers who in many cases seem to think court is the only place one can mount a defense.

Hard to mount a defense in court if your dead by a criminals hand.....
Old October 31, 2011, 04:34 PM   #11
KyJim

Quote:

It is a function of his office to warn citizens of potential danger and to advocate practices and/or laws to help keep the streets and parks safe. This is not a patrol officer spouting off, it's an elected official.

His comments did not screw up the case. A judge might impose a gag order but the worst that will happen at the end of the day is the trial might have to be moved to another county. The guy could plead guilty or, by the time of trial, the judge could find enough jurors who haven't heard the comments or don't remember them.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Patriot86

WHY isint this guy running for president? He would have my vote....

We need more no BS people like this in our society, everyone one is so afraid of offending groups of people because they believe in X, are Y race or Z sexual orientation. We have lost our non nonsense get it done American attitude, we have lost our ability as a society to say what is true about the world and address situations as such.

He is 100% right though, no amount of cops is going to stop something like this 99% of the time unless you get lucky and the cop is right there. Even that is not enough, I am reminded of the story of a woman who was raped while on 911. It took 4+ officers to PULL the guy off of her as the perp wouldn't stop at the first sight of the cops. More CC holders and gun owners in general WILL stop this, it discourages the criminals and "punishes" them for victimize law abiding citizens, often permanently something most states now refuse to do even for capital crimes.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:23 PM   #13
CWKahrFan

Like many posters on this forum, that Sherrif is just a little ahead of the curve... This is the way things are going... He's just being realistic. We get it. We got it. It's 2011. This is the world we live in now.

“Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

- (Clint Eastwood as) Gunnery Sgt. Highway in HEARTBREAK RIDGE.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; October 31, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:54 PM   #14
MLeake

I thought it was "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

I agree that the sheriff, as an elected official, has a lot more latitude in what he can say than would a political appointee. I suspect his electorate probably have no problem with his outspokenness.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:14 PM   #15
CWKahrFan

You're right MLeake... I changed it... Didn't seem quite right when I found it in another (faulty) source.

Thanks... Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCYv40Ur1g
Old October 31, 2011, 07:26 PM   #16
secret_agent_man

I hope he ran that by the local DA first. Otherwise, great idea.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This is a first for me. I have never heard any top LE, in a news conference, advocate getting a CWP, because the system is broke and they (LE) simply can't be everywhere.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:03 PM   #18
Romeo 33 Delta

Well, Al ... the pigs are flying, the fat lady sang, and the Devil's bitchin' about the ice forming around his ankles. May we live in interesting times
Old October 31, 2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Chaz88

Quote:
May we live in interesting times
I did not think cursing was allowed on TFL.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Like most things in America today ... Only if it's Chinese!
Old October 31, 2011, 11:31 PM   #21
kilimanjaro

The mainstream press won't cover it, unless they can work it against him.
Old November 1, 2011, 01:21 AM   #22
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:

Are you serious? He isn't advocating illegal actions, he isn't advocating vigilante justice, he is advising people how to defend themselves because as the Sheriff he has an obligation to advise people on the best way to protect themselves. As Sheriff he knows about his limited budget, he knows about his limited manpower and he knows how much territory he has to cover. He did exactly what he should do and more law enforcement supervisors should be doing the same thing instead of playing politics and mouthing platitudes that their liberal political bosses like to hear.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 1, 2011, 01:43 AM   #23
PPKman

Re-elect that honest man

Truth tellers in public service catch hell but get respect. This man deserves a lot.
Old November 1, 2011, 01:54 AM   #24
youngunz4life

what's the old saying

"Give that man a cigar!"
Old November 1, 2011, 03:26 AM   #25
JustThisGuy

Quote:
"He is a sheriff - he should just arrest the bad guys and not pontificate about society and the justice system.

He may have screwed this case beyond rescue with his comments."
Couldn't agree less.

Quote:
"I've said time and time again that the punishment for that crime is too lenient. I think the NRA should get behind laws that put convicted felons away for 10 years if they are in possesion of a friearm - no plea bargaining, no early release - a straight 10 years, period.

And I think like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the NRA should have people in court watching when judges are lenient on criminals who use firearms to commit crimes."
Couldn't agree more.

I've always wondered why the NRA somehow seems to perfect the art of getting on the wrong side of issues related to the use of guns in crimes. If the NRA was totally pro-active against the criminal use of firearms using tactics such as is suggested above, lawful gun owners would get a LOT less flack from the gun-control crowd. Heck, they might even go away (OK sorry wrong universe).

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.