The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 21, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Samueul

Ruger Single Six .22/.22Mag

Just bought a beautiful new single six. Hope to teach my daughter to shoot with it, and maybe pop a few squirrels on the way.

Anyone have any tips or general things to watch for with this new pistol? From all accounts it's a great pistol that we should get a lifetime out of.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

It is pretty basic, no special instructions needed other than usual safety precautions.
It is a great firearm. I bought mine in 1976 and it is still as good as new. Have shot many-many times. But, do understand the barrel is bored for the larger mag. round and the gun is not a tack driver with standard .22 LR ammo. Not intended to be, it is a field gun.
Enjoy.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3
CajunBass

Not unless you bought a used "old model" that needs to be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer.

If on other hand it's a "new model" just read the instruction booklet that comes with it, and have fun. Shoot it enough to see if you can wear it out. I don't think anybody ever has, but you can try.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 21, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
SCDeac82

Love my stainless SS-bought in around 1985.

Would suggest taking it out to get the sights adjusted before you take your daughter out.

More fun to hit what your'e aiming at, of coures for all of us.

One thing you may notice is the need to swab out the cylinders pretty frequently.

Have fun!
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 21, 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Venom1956

Quote:
Would suggest taking it out to get the sights adjusted before you take your daughter out.
BE CAREFUL! The more time you spend with it the harder it is to give it to someone... trust me. Lets just say this Christmas will be painful for me.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 21, 2010, 04:41 PM   #6
DocWard

I've been wanting to get one or two of them to go along with my Winchester 9422M for ages. I think it is just about time I break down and make that happen!

Let us know how you like it!
Old December 21, 2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Alden

The mag cartridges may fit very tightly, so that they are hard to extract after a tiny bit of carbon fouling has built up in the cylinders. That's normal for this gun. It's very accurate with the .22 magnums. That's all I shoot in it.

The .22 magnum is an underrated round. I once dispatched a 30 lb. possum with one shot at close range. A friend of mine claims to have killed a black bear with a .22 magnum by shooting it in the eye. Another friend killed a wild turkey with one shot from 100 yards with this round fired through a rifle. Open sights, too.

It's my wife's chosen gun for self defense. In the dark it looks like a .357 magnum!
Old December 21, 2010, 04:59 PM   #8
batmann

Hey Doc Ward, I have that combo--Winchester M94M and the Single Six and I keep the Mag cyl in the Single Six, GREAT combo. Get the Ruger and you will love it. I find the .22M to be more accurate than the LR.
OP--You will find that to be a nice 'starter' pistol, but one you will regret giving away----
Old December 21, 2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Bones

22LR Barrel too Big?

Has anyone ever try-ed using the "Paco Acu'rzr" to "bump" the 22LR bullet up to a larger size, (for tighter better fit)? Some of the new ones are cut to .222, .223, .224, and .225.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:32 PM   #10
bamaranger

Single 6

I'd start the daughter out w/ the .22 lr cylinder for all the obvious reasons.

But my Single 6 wears its mag cylinder. It is a noted step up from .22 lr power. It is one of my favorite "light" woods pistols.

I have for some time wanted to pair my Six w/ a 9422M or a Henry but as yet have not.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Alden

The .22 magnum has about the same velocity as the .357 magnum, just weighs a lot less. Some people don't know that.

I sure wouldn't want to get shot in the chest with one. It would be like an ice pick going through me.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:37 PM   #12
dalegribble

i bought one for my son about 15 years ago. i recently traded him a 9mm ruger for the single six. he liked the gun but never used it much. i grew up with cowboys on tv, he grew up with rambo. i need to pair it up with a 22 mag lever, maybe a henry golden.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:44 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I have had one for about 20 years...

And haven't had the magnum cylinder in it more than a couple of times, and not at all in over a decade. I find it quite acctuate enough with the regular .22LR, and for my shooting the extra cost of the .22 WMR is not justified.

When I need more than a .22LR from a pistol, I go to a larger caliber centerfire round.

They are great guns, and a good value for the price.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Samueul

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I shot yesterday (just .22lr) and it was just perfect. Only shot out to 25 yards, but shot groupings were good enough that I feel I could small game hunt with it. Only minor adjustments on the sights. I can't wait to get my daughter shooting this piece. I think it will be a perfect introduction for her.

Thanks again.
Old December 22, 2010, 01:57 PM   #15
jhog1

Quote:
30 lb. possum
And you don't even live in TX

Opossum Fast Facts
Type: Mammal
Diet: Omnivore
Size: Length from nose to tail, 2.5 ft (76 cm)
Weight: 8.8 to 12.2 lb (4 to 6 kg)
Old December 22, 2010, 07:46 PM   #16
ronnyvous1

I have a 1965 vintage S-6 Convertible that my Dad bought new. It never went in for the upgrade, so it never has more than 5 rounds in the wheel, but it is my all time favorite woods companion.

As far as the .22WMR goes, they are a hot little round, especially some of the newer varmint loads. I have a High Standard Sentinel MkIV in WMR, 3" bbl., that is the best "kit" gun I have even owned, and my wife used to rely on it as her carry gun. 9 hits with a mag is better than a near miss with a .380 PPKs. Loud little bugger, but very manageable.
Old December 22, 2010, 10:35 PM   #17
shooter1911

1. Bought new in 1967 while in College
2. My Father in Laws SS with a serial # of 60,XXX
3. Mother in Laws Bearcat

These Rugers are all 40-60 years old and are still as tight as new guns. My advice is shoot them, clean then, and enjoy them. The biggest issue people have with these guns is rust from neglect. Note the middle gun, which is very old, and has almost no blue left, but not a bit of rust. All it takes is a light coat of oil now and then.