The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 15, 2009, 08:03 PM   #1
jmfc606

7.62x25 Roamanian Tokarev or CZ-52?

What are the pros and cons of each. I will probably get both but I wanted some input before I ordered. If one is a "Don't buy" I'll pass. S.O.G. has both in stock the CZ-52 just went up in price this month to $159 and the Tokarev is $219 but comes with a holster and extra mag. Opinions and experiences please. Thanks
Old January 15, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
fastshotivy

I am a cz52 and love shooting it. Just don't dry fire it..... You better get it real soon prices will keep going up....
Old January 15, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
FALPhil

+1 on the Cz-52. While it looks strange, it has natural pointability. About the only complaint I have is I wish the sights were a little bigger.
Old January 15, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

I say buy both. I have one of each and I enjoy shooting both. Just buy lots of 7.62x25 ammo as they are very addictive.

TK
Old January 15, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
fastshotivy

I am think about buying a cz52, cz82 and a Pa 63
Old January 16, 2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Milspec

I've got all three... Can't beat the CZ-82...a new .380 commercial version goes for over $400. It makes a great carry gun loaded with Hornady JHP. I like the CZ-52 because it's weird. Who'd else but the Czech's would think of putting a roller lock in a pistol? My PA-63's strange too...has an OD green anodized frame. Most military ones are bare alloy. Wonder who used it? One more gun you might consider is the P-64 Polish...a PPK look-alike. It's a great carry gun too...once you replace the hammer spring with one from Wolff. I really like collecting Cold War guns. After all the time we spent staring at those folks in their border towers it gives me a great feeling to be able to buy their guns...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old January 16, 2009, 09:10 PM   #7
troy_mclure

please post a link! i need one!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 16, 2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Tom2

Toks are collectable but IMO the ergonomics are not that great. But then the grip frame was a bit too small for my hand and the angle was not right for me. Some people just love them and say they want to CCW them etc. but I can't see that. As a plinker they may be alright. But I cannot see myself taking one to the range very often. Now the Mak is what my adversaries had and I like those alot better. Same goes for the Cz 52 but at least I think the handling qualities are much better than the sorta archaic Tok. I bet if you buy both you will shoot the Cz more, assuming no problems with it.
Old January 17, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
FALPhil

Quote:
Who'd else but the Czech's would think of putting a roller lock in a pistol?
The Germans.
Old January 17, 2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Chipperman

Yep.
Heard of the HK P9?
http://hkpro.com/p9.htm
Began being produced in 1969.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:26 PM   #11
Ricklin

Commie Pistols ROCK

I've had a PA-63 for about 20 years give or take, bought one when they first started coming in. Handy little accurate pistol. Had to put a medium Wolff spring kit in it recently, good as new. Picked up 2 CZ 82s and a CZ52 as well. I really like the 82, great ergos, smooth DA trigger, only thing I don't like about it is the oversize trigger guard, what's up with that, cold weather / gloves? It's not a problem, just ugly.
The cz52 is in a whole other league power wise, fun pistol. I look forward to trying the 52 at long range, I've only shot it at up to about 25 yards. Loud son of a gun, kinda a commie .357 mag.
Been thinkin about adding a TOK to the mix. Glad I got the others b4 the price increase, they really bumped up the 52s. The Tokarev sounds good for the price.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:18 AM   #12
jsmaye

Disregard - you said Tokarev, I was thinking Makarov....

Last edited by jsmaye; January 20, 2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: It's early....
Old January 22, 2009, 11:00 PM   #13
woad_yurt

Can you afford both? If so, do that. They're both great guns. I severely recommend Wolff-springing both and installing a Harrington HD hammer & trigger kit in the CZ. You'll have some great shooters.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Webleymkv

While both are good guns, I lean a bit more towards the CZ-52. Something about that ugly, afterthought safety on the Romanian Toks just doesn't sit well with me.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:31 PM   #15
woad_yurt

Remove the safety. The 1/2 cock is the safety.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

No, the half-cock is not the safety, at least not in any conventional sense.

Communist troops may have used it as a form of safety, but anyone should think twice about doing so today.

The half-cock is only there to intercept the hammer in case the gun attempts to go full auto.
Old January 23, 2009, 05:18 PM   #17
woad_yurt

It also holds the hammer off the firing pin when carrying with one in the chamber.

Instead of swiping a safety and pulling a trigger a la 1911, one cocks the hammer and pulls the trigger.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
votto

I bought 2 Toks from J&G Sales for $199 each. I LOVE these guns. You will not be dissapionted. Buy LOTS of ammo!
Old January 24, 2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Which it was never designed to do, Woad.

Relying on a half-cock notch to provide a safe mode of carry is not a good idea. It's not recommended for 1911s or any type of single action semi-auto. Even the US military was adverse to it in any but exceptional circumstances.

I'm not 100% certain how Romanian Toks are put together, but more than a few over the years (primarily Chinese and some Soviet) had firing pins that protruded through the face of the slide when the hammer was down.

Factor into that the more than occasionally questionable nature of Soviet-era metallurgy, and you've got a potential recipe for a negligent discharge, especially if the gun were to somehow drop free and land on the hammer, shearing the half cock notch or the sear, or both.

The Tokarev design had some pretty advanced design features, but safety didn't even rise to the level of an afterthought.

I would never attempt what you're advising with any Eastern-bloc gun from this period.
Old January 26, 2009, 04:38 PM   #20
rotorhead41486

Refin'd CZ

I recently purchased a CZ-52 for $160 (extra mag and holster included). I enjoyed shooting it so much that I purchased about $130 in enhanced parts for it (including a machined competition firing pin, trigger springs, enhanced roller bearings, and even a slide release.) The gun went off to CCR refinishing in Tennessee to have to parts installed and to be refinished. I was also able to pick up some Walnut grips for it off ebay. Its an amazingly powerful pistol, ammo is cheaper than dirt ($0.07-0.09/rd). I am very eager to get it back from the shop and I will be sure to post pics of it when I do. I would highly recommend going for one. Also, if you want to do some work to it, Harrington Products sells the drop-in parts for it. You can also do a google search for the slide release.

- jb -
Old January 26, 2009, 07:18 PM   #21
fastshotivy

Whats the going price right now for the Tokarev?
Old January 26, 2009, 09:37 PM   #22
rotorhead41486

under $250 with a 800rd spam can of 7.62 tokarev going at about $79
Old January 26, 2009, 09:46 PM   #23
fastshotivy

Where can you get it for $79.00?
Old January 27, 2009, 09:39 AM   #24
woad_yurt

Mike Irwin:
That ½ cock on those TT33s is one strong, deep, wide notch. If I didn’t mind dinging up my gun, I’d beat on it with a hammer and I’d bet a good chunk of cash that it wouldn’t discharge. 1911s and TT33s are two very different guns, as are their operating characteristics..

A while back, someone posted that the Russians tested the ½ cock by dropping it off the roof of a three story building. I PMed him to find out his source of info. Being very familiar with the particular gun, I have no reason to doubt it. On mine, one can’t rack the slide unless the hammer is fully down or fully cocked. If the ½ cock isn’t for carrying with one in the chamber, what is it there for, seeing as it makes the slide unrackable?

Last edited by woad_yurt; January 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old January 27, 2009, 04:42 PM   #25
Milspec

Milspec
Quote:
Who'd else but the Czech's would think of putting a roller lock in a pistol?
----
FALPhil
Quote:
The Germans.
----
Chipperman
Quote:
Yep.
Heard of the HK P9?
http://hkpro.com/p9.htm

Began being produced in 1969.

-----
Me again...

Yeah...but the Czech Vz./CZ52 was fielded in 1952 compared to 1969 for the H&K P9. The Czechs thought of it first (MG-42 doesn't count)...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan