The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 16, 1999, 02:06 AM   #1
JJR

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't get my preferences to "stick." I need to set them every time I visit TFL. Now, it does remember my name and password, but it does not remember the "show topics last xx days" part nor does it do the targets vs. bullet holes thing (unless I reset it every time I visit.

I'm using Internet Explorer and Windows 98 (not my fault, I swear) and I have my browser set to accept cookies.

Does any of this make sense? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old August 16, 1999, 09:34 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

JJR-
Spark may be able to provide more info than I. However, I suggest that you go into "preferences" and use the poption that deletes all cookie refernces to TFL.

Reboot.

Resubmit your prefs.

Report back on how it went.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited August 16, 1999).]
Old August 16, 1999, 09:53 PM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Click on the preferences link, delete your cookies, leave TFL and go to another site, shut down your browser, restart, and return to TFL.

If that doesn't work, delete your cookies again, leave TFL and go to another site. Shut down your browser. Do a search on your PC for cookies.txt and delete every instance. Shut down your PC. Reboot, and come back to TFL, and reset your preferences.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old August 17, 1999, 12:05 AM   #4
JJR

Thanks guys. I tried the suggestions above but to no avail. It's strange.

Say I'm on the main page and it shows all "bullet holes," then I go to another site. If I hit "back", I will return to the TFL site with the bullet holes (or a few targets if something has changed). However, if I go from another site to TFL via my "favorites", I will get to the main page with all targets as if I've never visited before (and they never change to bullet holes unless I set my preferences again). This is what happens when I first log on so I need to reset my preferences every computer session.

I do not have this problem with AR15.com which I understand uses the same software. I dunno. Not a big deal, just a minor nuisance. Thanks again.
Old August 18, 1999, 05:34 PM   #5
[email protected]
Wise Guy

How are you entering TFL? Did you bookmark the forums, or did you come in through the front page to the site?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com

Old August 19, 1999, 02:13 AM   #6
JJR

Ahhh!

I've been entering through a bookmark direct to the forums main page. If I come in through the main TFL page everything is just dandy!

Thanks!
Old August 19, 1999, 04:07 AM   #7
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Amazing how that works.

That's why we prefer that people don't bookmark the forums pages, to prevent that sort of thing, and it screws up the stats programs.

You never know when the forums may move as well, leavin you SOL if you bookmarked them instead of the front page.

I could alter the forums cgi files so that you were cookied on the front page of the site, and if you hadn't come through it, you don't get to read them, but that's just a bit to Clintonesque for me.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com

Old August 19, 1999, 05:02 PM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Spark,

Thank You! I've been having this same problem for a couple of months,and attempts to figure out what was wrong didn't pan out. I,too,was bookmarked directly to the forums. At one time,that wasn't a problem,but after TFL moved,I began to have troubles. Coming in through the front door solved my difficulties.

Thanks again,

Bill