The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 1999, 03:40 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

So how did everyone do??

Did draw for antelope this year OR black powder deer so i was left but with ONE big game hunt this year.

Lack of snow in the high country made for tougher ELK tracking but someone in camp saw animals EVERY day. Really wished i had a cow tag when i was watching 2 cows graze peacefully 25 yards away with an open shot... no way i could have missed.. when they finally spooked i found that a bull had been lurking nearby and ripping up an aspen. Never saw him but he left big prints. Chased them all week.

Saw moose and bear and all manner of wild critters while hiking an average 10 miles a day at 8500 feet. God i love it here in Colorado.

No elk killed this year but Dad killed a NICE 4x5 Muledeer with a 30 foot shot from a 30-06. We dined on our first venison last night and it was excellent. Of course we werent the FIRST to ejoy the tasty deer as a mountain lion had helped itself to the gut pile the day after dad shot it. (here kitty kitty).

Overall a great hunt and a fun time.

looking forward to next year already and secretly thinking about winter pheasents and coyotes in winter coats.

Dr.Rob
Old November 15, 1999, 06:09 PM   #2
Mendocino

[gloat on]
I leave on Thursday for a late season elk hunt on a private ranch north of Maybell Colorado.
[/gloat off]

My wife shot a nice buck pronghorn, and we have had a great pheasant season. Duck hunting is just getting going. My deer hunting season was uneventful.
Old November 16, 1999, 12:58 AM   #3
Long Path

Plenty of season left yet for me, but after watching some yearlings and a spike run around at very close-but-just-out-of-pistol-range, I hit a little whitetail doe at 67 yards with a reduced load .257 Rbts 100 grain Ballistic Tip just behind the shoulder. Through and through, both lungs and the very top of the heart, exit hole the size of a nickel. She managed to run into thick brush nearby before expiring about 30 feet away. I was looking for the bullet before I bothered going into the brush to find her; you just don't have to worry when you hit them right, and the blood trail looks like a man with a watering can full of blood was walking away with the spout straight down.

Got up on a high hill the next day and saw no deer, but watched a couple of Tom turkeys making fools of themselves over a big hen 600 yards away. Watched them work their way to within 150 yards of our property, and then break off. Our property line was 350 yards away, and we'd be eating turkey now if they'd just crossed that line below us; I had a good rest and a great sling... Let that be a lesson; remember your call!! (Mine was in the truck, darn it!)

Headed back early; had a test this morning. Plenty of time, plenty of time.

Texas can be a fine place, too, Dr. Rob! Just wish I could find me a hunt here for pronghorn, and that we still had elk hunting...
Old November 16, 1999, 09:26 PM   #4
Ankeny

Got my deer, antelope, and elk. Now I am chasing the geese. Man are they thick this year, the limit is five dark and five light per day. I'll kill geese until the end of December, then start riding my 700 RMK (snowmobile) through waist deep powder until May. Of course, then the Lund Pro-V will come out and I'll fish for walleyes until archery season in September, then it all starts over. Living in Wyoming is sure hard on the wallet though. My gasoline bill for boat gas in August and truck fuel for hunting in September and October came to $495.40. I guess that is cheaper than commuting to work like some of you guys. Am I gloating here?
Old November 18, 1999, 12:11 PM   #5
bergie

Yeah, my season is over too. I ended it just after 12:30 on the opening day. It is nice to have the venison at the locker plant that quick, but damn, I wish I could still be huntin. Record high temps have been makin it pretty tough for the guys around here, the deer are keeping in the shade and thick cover during the day. I got lucky, some other guys were pushing a big grove off to the south of where I was and this buck kind of doubled-back, came out behind them, going full throttle across about 1/2 of a mile of absolutely flat wide open hay meadow. It had to cross a fence and about another 1/4 mile to get to the next shelterbelt when I popped it with my .270 Savage110 quartering away at about a hundred yards down the fenceline. One shot rolled it, and it stayed down. I don't really like to shoot at a deer that is running all out, but I have shot a few coyotes on the move, so I waited until I had what I felt was the best possible chance at the shortest range and took it. Anyway, I got a nice 2 1/2 year old nontypical 5x6 whitetail.
Now I wait for cold weather and blackpowder season.
Bergie
Old November 18, 1999, 12:56 PM   #6
2tapcm

Deer: 1
Me: 0

Had an excellent shot at a doe but I still have a problem with hesitating. Never got off a shot.

But the season is not over yet! Still have until November 30, then blackpowder, then the extended antlerless season until January 2.
Old November 23, 1999, 08:18 PM   #7
DOCSpanky

Just hunt like I do. Stray cat season in never over

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal