The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2017, 04:10 PM   #51
DanPop

It's too bad the Taurus bashers won't give this one a break. I love my PT111, so much so I was banned from another forum for sticking up for it against the Glockette lovers. Mine is my truck gun, I have about 3,000 rnds through it with out a hiccup. I own 2 of what I think are the best gun to price ratio there is, my PT111 at about $250 and my Sarsilmaz K2P at $280.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old February 4, 2017, 08:35 PM   #52
SocialAnarchist

My wife has a Taurus PT111 G2 that is her every day home defense pistol. It has performed flawlessly and she shoots it very well.

I like it enough that I may buy one for myself.
Old February 4, 2017, 09:20 PM   #53
GarandTd

I want a pistol and love a bargain. The Millennium G2 is at the top of my list.
Old February 5, 2017, 12:42 AM   #54
tahunua001

there's a reason that the bashers won't give it a break, it's because low price tag does not completely absolve a gun's shortcomings.

for the record, I don't bash taurus because I hear bad things about them, I bash them due to personal observations: my hands on the grips, my finger on the triggers, my brain processing input. I love a good bargain, I've owned a lot of ~$300 guns, some were good, some were mediocre, I've never handled a $250 gun that would convince me to purchase using the price tag as justification. the quality is just not there. if I can't hit what I'm shooting it because the trigger is 10 pounds and has a 1 inch travel, then I'm not going to buy it. if I have to hold it differently and use a different part of my finger than 95% of the other guns on the market, I'm not going to buy it. if I absolutely could not afford more than $250, then I would go with a SCCY CPX, they appear to have the best of the shoddy $250 triggers, and the best overall fit/finish, plus why not get that safety orange incase I'm constantly misplacing it? by increasing the budget by just $50, a person can start looking at Ruger SR and LC series, Caniks, EAAs, tristar, Arcus, and a dozen other imports that have better brand reputations, and who have several individual models with good reputations.
Old February 5, 2017, 04:57 AM   #55
hemiram

I have a collection of "value" guns, including a Canik, 2 SARs, a K2P and a K2 45, two Taurus PT111's, 3 Surplus Tanfoglios, and quite a few others that all cost less than $400. A friend of mine and I went to the range with the Canik TP9v2, one of the PT111's, one of the Tanfoglio TA/90s, a Dan Wesson 15-2, the Sar K2 45, and his new Taurus 66. It wasn't even close, the Tanfoglio TA/90 was the star of the bunch, even with a weak recoil spring that made the slide slam the slide stop when shooting it. Second place was the PT111, it shot very well, it's sole negative was it's size compared to any of the others. It has a great grip, and hit where we pointed it. It had a single jam on the third round, it might have been my fault due to my fingers riding the slide, and then it went through nearly 200 rounds without a hitch. It's now been close to 1000 rounds and there is no excessive wear or anything else. I upgraded the recoil spring to the Lakeline LLC stainless recoil assembly, and added a Truglo fiber optic sight to the front of it. I've owned a Taurus "lemon", and the PT111, at least most of them, don't seem to be one. A steal at less than $250, and an almost insane bargain at the $199 I paid for my second one. The Taurus 66 my friend brought shot fine, no problems and seemed to be finished inside and out much better than my old garbage Model 83 was.
Old February 5, 2017, 08:38 AM   #56
tallball

Just yesterday I picked up the used EAA Witness (Tanfoglio) 45acp that I won for a $250 bid on Gunbroker. It is an excellent pistol with nothing shoddy about it. It is every bit as nice as my $150 S&W Model 10, my $125 Ruger Single Six, my $225 Beretta Model 96, etc etc. My Russian Makarov cost $89 brand-new and has never malfunctioned once in the 30 or so years that I've owned it.

Just because you got a good deal, that doesn't mean it's a bad gun.
Old February 5, 2017, 10:41 AM   #57
GarandTd

The PT111 is not the only pistol near the top of my list. But it's on topic. Everything on my list is at the bargain level because that's what I like. I obsessively research things I want and form my own opinions. When I buy a pistol it will be between 2 and 300. It is a want, not a need in my situation.
Old February 5, 2017, 02:12 PM   #58
O4L

If a bargain is what you're looking for, I've seen the Shield for sale online for $299 at a couple of places lately.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:41 PM   #59
f2shooter

What's the consensus on this gun

My brother has a Taurus 1911 and frankly its excellent. Accurate, reliable and beautifully made it has not given any trouble at all. I wish he would shoot it more. I am a big fan of the EAA Witness line, not the most expensive but they run very well and make good carry guns. I kept one close at hand when I once moonlighted at a liquor store. These days I rely on the SW9. I've had one for many years, it never fails and is easy to carry. Found it in a classified ad. I don't look for the cheapest gun I can find but I want value and reliability. I get that from these guns.

Rick H.
Old February 7, 2017, 02:28 PM   #60
alaskabushman

I've been wanting to switch my CCW over from my LCR to a semi-auto for a while now. My wife purchased the PT111 for me as a present this last Christmas. I've shot a little over 100 rounds through the pistol and have had 0 malfunctions. I like pretty much everything about the gun, the grip stippling, the sights are good for such a pistol, 12+1 capacity (in a gun that is dimensionally similar to the 5 shot LCR), fits my hand very well and has a reversible mag release (great for me as a lefty).

This little gun is a sleeper in the industry IMHO. I can understand some of the Taurus hate that is so prevalent on this forum, but I think if people opened their minds a bit they would be pretty impressed with this pistol. It has features of guns costing 2 or 3 times as much.
Old February 9, 2017, 03:17 AM   #61
hemiram

Yesterday, I used my "Bright Sights" kit and painted the two rear white (Well, sort of white, they looked light tan to me) orange, and it looks great. With the fiber optic front sight I added, the sights really "POP" now.
Old February 9, 2017, 02:05 PM   #62
fl_rich

I bought my daughter a PT111, in 45 and it had a few teething problems. After about 500 rounds it functions 100%. Would definitely trust my life with it and would be more secure with it on my side than my buddies Ruger LCP.380

Personally I dont see where the negativity comes from. Ruger must have really burned some people badly.
Old February 9, 2017, 03:04 PM   #63
Dewey68

I purchased one from Kentucky Gun Company last week. I have no previous experience with Taurus but for $209 shipped, I was willing to dip my toe in and test the waters.

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet but it seems like a well-made gun. I did end up taking a small hobby file to knock down the stippling a bit. The trigger doesn't bother me. The initial pull is long, but it's got a nice short reset.

I currently don't have my CCL since IL's law still is so limited, but if the gun is accurate and reliable I think it would be a good gun to carry. I've been wanting a polymer 9 mm for a while. My only other 9 mm is a S&W 5906 and there would be no way I'd carry that concealed.