The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #26
BuckRub

Funny I use to shoot deer from close to 300 yards. The older I get now I shoot them about 30 yards behind the house then take the riding mower and lay them across the hood and drive back to the house. Might be Redneck but it works.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:55 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
He told me that he shot a doe last year at approx 900 yards.
"Approximately."

With ranges that long, and any weapon with a trajectory that is more curved than that of a laser, then "approximately" is not near precise enough. A range estimation error of 25 yards = a miss. Misjudging the wind vector(s) will likewise = a miss (or worse, a bad hit).
Old June 26, 2013, 04:52 PM   #28
markj

Longest shot I ever made on deer was like 50 yards. Why shoot waaaay over there when a deer is right here, less walking....
Old June 26, 2013, 08:37 PM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Way-over-yonder deer? Well, when you're in rugged desert mountain country that has a sparse deer population and a sixteen-day one-buck-only season, and your odds are such that a 400- or 500- yard shot is not at all improbable, developing gear and skill becomes somewhat important.

If you want to eat deer meat, anyhow.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:08 PM   #30
ZeroJunk

I wouldn't bet that I could hit a pick up truck at 900 yards.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #31
BuckRub

Maybe not you or me but there's a lot of people on here who can hit a fly at 900 yards. Every shot and with any gun. Even with a snub nose pistol or a .22 rifle. Lol just ask em they'll tell ya.
Old June 27, 2013, 02:51 PM   #32
markj

Quote:
Well, when you're in rugged desert mountain country that has a sparse deer population and a sixteen-day one-buck-only season
Ha, come to Iowa, pay the 275 and Iwill put you on as many deer as you want They come into my garden and eat away. They jumped on my wifes car and dented the trunk lid. agent didnt really want to go for that repair...

No reason to use a 100 yard gun here a slingshot and a rock will do just fine.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:08 AM   #33
doofus47

art eatman
Quote:
Back in the early years of the 7mm RemMag, I'd hear gunstore-commando hunters yap about 600-yard shots across a valley on elk. This was before laser range-finders, and these guys were just slinging lead until they got a hit somewhere on the animal. Several more shots for a finishing.
Yeah, there's a bit of that in any story. I was reading a wolf-protection web site and someone was quoting a rancher somewhere who was "'bragging' that he sometimes just gut-shot wolves so they'd suffer more before they died.'" I was thinking that writer has lost perspective on the human psyche in his righteous indignation: Basically some ranch hand saw a coyote across a field; he whipped out his truck gun and hit it. There was a blood trail and no find. Rather than just admit he made a poor hit, he put a little lipstick on the pig. If he were good enough to pick his shot, he'd probably rather hit it in the head and brag about how good of a shot he is.

I saw a long range hunting show once. 2 questions came to mind:
1. Wouldn't it be more exciting to see if you were a good enough hunter to get closer?
2. If you're 800 yards out across a canyon and have no intention of getting to the zip code of your game, what's with the camo?

Never watched a second one. I will admit that the people on that show are far and away (pun?, yes) better shots than I am or will ever be.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Last buck I killed, I was halfway-ashamed to have used a rifle. Walked up on a nice mulie while he was napping. About 25 yards, maybe. Easy pistol shot.

Then there was the wet day I trailed a fat little 4x4 whitetail and eased up to about ten feet away. Hit him in the rump with a small rock. It's amazing how raucous laughter will seriously upset a deer.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:51 PM   #35
markj

Quote:
1. Wouldn't it be more exciting to see if you were a good enough hunter to get closer?
Yeah, we play sneak up a lot growing up. Helps me stalk game. Love to see the look on their face when I show myself turkeys are the funniest, their eyes open real wide, beaks open like OH No.
Old June 29, 2013, 06:18 PM   #36
math teacher

I have a couple of gripes with the long range hunting shows. There seems to be a preponderance of them lately. It tends to make people who have never practiced at over a hundred yards or from field conditions think that it is OK to take extreme long shots. I am not criticizing those who have put in their time to learn the art.

Secondly the theme of some of those shows is just long range shots at animals. They never try to get closer, nor do they show them taking an animal they happen on at 50 yards. It is the current emphasis on long range hunting that I object to.