The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
barnettamb

Remington 870 problem

Hey guys I'm new to this forum.

I have had a 20 gauge 870 for about 5 or 6 years now and have put thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. It is my favorite gun still today.

I got an 870 12 gauge a year or o ago and have shot probably 500 rounds through it. most of the time it works fine, but sometimes after i shoot the for end gets locked up and i can't eject the shell. it normally takes like a minute to get it out after i pull on it aout as hard as i can....

Does anyone know what i could do to fix this? thanks
Old February 13, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Chief Brody

Some of the newer 870s are having trouble with some cheap target loads, especially the low brass Winchesters. You might want to try polishing the chamber. Plenty of YouTube videos about it, threads too, and it usually does the trick.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:02 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

If you are using the cheapest steel-based ammo and your 870 is one of the Express models which are known for rough chamber finishes - that explains your issue.

Try your gun with some top end target loads like Win AA or Rem STS and see if it continues. Also, get a large brush, wrap with 0000 steel wool and a little oil, chuck it into a cordless drill and polish the chamber. THAT should definitely solve the issue
Old February 13, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
barnettamb

thank you for the answers im going to smooth the chamber....ill let you know how it goes.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5
barnettamb

i shined a light in the chamber and saw that it was in fact very rough. i used the drill and steel wool trick and now its as smooth as my 20 gauge....havent shot it yet but im sure it fixed the problem.

thanks for the help.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
mehavey

See the whole "I-hate-the-Express" thread here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=express

Two big things to note are that...

1. Smoothing the rear (especially) of the chamber with oil-soaked steel wool on a cordless drill mandrel worked

2. Steel-base shotgun shells do not contract from the chamber walls after firing like brass does.
(Try rechambering a fired hull and see.)