The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 3, 2009, 07:07 PM   #1
woodpd

hawkins rebuild help

my brother found a conneticate valley arms hawkins 50 in a scrap yard. it was there a long time. i have cleaned it up and besides missing a rear sight and a ram rod guard its all there. i did make a ram rod the other was missing. the problem is there is a flat spring that goes between the trigger block and the hammer block that i cant figure out how to put in. any help or pictures would be great. its going to be a wall hanger but i would like it to work.
Old April 3, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Yup!

Woodpd,

Try "thehawkenshop.com" In the images they use to try to sell their stuff, there is a good photo of the back of the lock.

Two questions:

1. How is the bore on the rifle?
2. Have you tried to get the breach block out?
Old April 3, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3
woodpd

the breach plug would not come out. the barrel seems clear and i cleaned everything the best i could.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
madcratebuilder

Didn't some of the CVA's get recalled because of bad barrels. It may have been in a scrap pile for a reason.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
mykeal

Yes. They had serial numbers ending in -95 or -96. None were sidelock barrels.
Old April 4, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

To remove the breech plug first take out the drum on the side of the barrel. The drum is cross drilled and threaded in to the barrel and the breech plug.
Use plenty of PB Blaster and soak it a while before trying to remove it.
Old April 4, 2009, 01:11 PM   #7
FrontierGander

why the heck would you want to remove the breech plug? If you fudge it up, you'll have to buy a new barrel. They run $85+ S/H from deer creek.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Curiosity if nothing else

You find a barrel on a trash heap and you wouldn't remove the breach plug to make sure you know what is inside?

I think before I did anything with the piece, I would dismantle it to the point where no two pieces were still together.
Old April 4, 2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
You find a barrel on a trash heap and you wouldn't remove the breach plug to make sure you know what is inside?
I wouldn't, it's just more trouble than it's worth. I'd just make sure it was unloaded, clean it up and fire it.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:09 PM   #10
woodpd

i pulled the valve of the side that the cap goes on and cleaned it with boiling water. like i said my brother just wants to hang it on the wall. i got it because weapons are not his thing. i still cant figure the location of the metal tab. it is shaped about 1 inch long with a loop at one end and a bend at the other. i took apart my hawkins but it is different. another thing this one has really nice brass and seams like it was higher end rifle any idea of what it would have cost. does some one have pictures of the assemply the one on the web sight did not show the flat spring. and thanks for all the advise
Old April 5, 2009, 04:54 AM   #11
l.cutler

CVA was pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes, they were pretty cheap. Your terminology has me confused, hammer block? trigger block? Did you take the lock apart? is that where the spring came from? If not it may be a ramrod retainer spring, some guns have these. If so the front lock bolt may go through the looped end of the spring, with the leaf down to put pressure on the ramrod.
Old April 5, 2009, 07:44 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

Post pictures of what you have. It will be easyer for people to help you that way.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
CVA was pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes, they were pretty cheap
Inexpensive not cheap. CVA's will shoot right up there with all the other production guns. I had my .50 Investarms rebarreled with a .54 CVA barrel and it shoots just as good as it did with the original barrel.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:54 AM   #14
l.cutler

Cheap, meaning inexpensive. I have a couple CVA's ,a mountain rifle and an older Frontier rifle both flintlocks. The barrels were ok, but I never cared for the locks.
Old April 5, 2009, 01:01 PM   #15
FrontierGander

no reason at all to pull the breech plug. If you can pump water through it, its clear and obviously not loaded.

If its for a wall hanger i'd just oil the heck out of the parts and then hang it up. Its a shame to let such a good hunting tool like a cva hawken not do its job though! I just traded for a .54cal cva hawken and love the rifle!
Old April 5, 2009, 08:32 PM   #16
woodpd

it make sence that it the spring for the ram rod..i know i might not call it the curect parts sorry. i would use it to target shoot if i forget to give it to my brother..if he forgets about it i might not say anything. i have a hawkins that was a kit from cabelas and i like to put them together and shooting is more fun then my sniper rifle. (yes it is a real sniper rifle not a targey rifle) you gentlemen have alot of information thank you.