The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2020, 06:16 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL
I'm in DC (where ironically I can and do get ammo shipped to me). But LOTS of pro gun websites that list various state laws incorrectly state otherwise. Moreover there is "chilling effect" where if the jurisdiction looks unfriendly, despite the laws allowing something, companies will just decide not to.
This is very true.

A good number of years ago, The Sportsmans Guide company had in their catalog an 1898 Mauser rifle. It's an antique, so it can be sold without going through an FFL. I didn't want the rifle, but I did want one of the bayonets, for my small collection of pointy things that go on the front ends of rifles. They wouldn't sell it to me because of what state I live in. It is NOT illegal for me to buy knives from out of state and have them shipped to me, but that company thought it pmight be illegal, so they just said "No."

My conversation with a customer service rep was surrealistic. I had her open up the catalog to the page with the rifle on it. She acknowledged that she had found the listing.

Me: So can you sell me one of those rifles?

SGC: Oh, yes Sir!

Me: But you can't sell me the bayonet that's right under it on that page?

SGC: No, Sir.

Me: So let me get this straight. You'll sell me a military battle rifle, which can kill a person from a half a mile away, but you can't sell me a bayonet, which is only dangerous if I'm within an arm's length of another person?

SGC: Umm ... I'm sorry, it really doesn't make much sense, does it?

I live in a state with a magazine capacity limit. More recently than the SGC incident, I tried to buy some 10-round magazines from CDNN. Nope. I tried to buy some 7-round 1911 magazines from CDNN. Nope. Both are completely legal in my state, but CDNN will not ship any magazines to my state -- not even to an FFL.

So, yes ... the "chilling effect" is very real.
Jeepaholic
Old November 27, 2020, 01:11 PM   #27
Grant 14

I believe that it is illegal to go out of state and buy ammo for import to California (even for your own use). Many people were going to Reno Nevada which is only about 4 hours from San Francisco and driving back with huge amounts of ammo. I was told (maybe true, maybe not) that for a while officials at the border check point were asking if you had ammo. I have not heard anything about it for a while now, so maybe people have calmed down. Grant.
Old November 27, 2020, 03:31 PM   #28
JERRYS.

people getting the government they allow.
Old November 27, 2020, 07:17 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

CA residents, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it not "exactly" illegal to buy ammo out of state but it has to go to an instate FFL, from whom you can pick it up after the state grants permission??

I do think they frown on you buying it in AZ or NV and taking it straight home to your residence in CA.
Old November 27, 2020, 09:36 PM   #30
langenc

Regarding post #5--"taking weeks longer to get a permit" if that is the case everyone should be in.

Just because govt dont follow the law shouldnt be the citizens problem.
As noted they want to make it so hard/expensive to buy everyone just quits....
Old November 27, 2020, 11:50 PM   #31
BJung

I live in CA and came across and article stating that you cannot bring ammo from out-of-state. I just did a search and found this to be true.

CA once had a 55mph limit for years. No one listened to it and drove 65mph and up. If the police or highway patrol was seen, everyone would slow down and a traffic jam resulted. Eventually, the politicians gave in, changed the law and raised the speed limit.
Old November 27, 2020, 11:53 PM   #32
BJung

Jerry. No matter how I vote, I'm outnumbered like 3:1. If you study the trend, Liberals take over the cities and convert those people to support them. Just look at the States around the Country like Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and soon Montana and Idaho.
Old November 27, 2020, 11:58 PM   #33
BJung

TDL. I'm sorry to see Virginia go the way of California. My Liberal neighbors are a real pain. They know that I like shooting and tell me that want guns banned. Maybe I should be better prepared and argue back but I think they are self-righteous and facts wont work.
Old November 28, 2020, 12:58 AM   #34
Stiofan

Quote:
Just look at the States around the Country like Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and soon Montana and Idaho.
I doubt Montana and certainly Idaho will be following the coastal states soon. Montana just passed a law outlawing municipalities from enacting their own gun laws, Idaho just strengthened their constitutional carry law to include all lawful US citizens instead of the previous residents only rule. In addition, Idaho's state constitution has the following in it:

Section 11. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

We get a little touchy being lumped in with the left coast.
Old November 28, 2020, 01:38 AM   #35
BJung

Californians wish the best for you. A lot of Californians are moving to Idaho. I've read on the CastBullet Forum that there is talk of banning lead bullets in Montana like in California. To me, Californians moving to other States is like a cancer. Look at the last election with Arizona. My HS friend moved there years ago because it was a gun friendly State. But, with the recent election, I texted him and asked, "what happened?!". He replied, "Californians!". Ask the Eastern Oregonians and Washingtonians. Please be careful and safe friend.
Old November 28, 2020, 01:54 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

We're off topic, and I'd advise some posters to review the rules specific to L&CR.
Closed Thread