The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 20, 2020, 01:12 PM   #1
cslinger

HK P2000 - A Range Report 14 Years In The Making. Second Chances At First Love

So here we are October of 2020. The world has become a giant amusement park. We have plague world, riot town, the hall of politics and eleventy billion new gun owners and all the souvenirs are sold out. Really kids when you read this ten years from now assuming you are not killed by an asteroid or the sound in the distance isn’t thunder but Godzilla keep in mind 2020 has brought forth a wee bit of unpleasantness. Seriously I saw three guys on horses asking if anybody had seen their buddy on riding the white one. Sigh, so instead of waiting for Stalin to give me a prostate exam next I figured I would burn a little steam by writing another entirely too long “review” of one of my guns. Don’t all clap at once. I am not making you read it, it’s my catharsis dammit you are just along for the ride.

So let’s go back to idyllic time 14 Octobers past. I time where nobody had ever used the words Murder Hornet in a sentence. As young….ish gun nut I was on a mission to collect the whole set and as part of that mission to experience everything there was to offer enter Heckler and Koch. What gun nut doesn’t want to own an HK at least once in their lives? So as I perused the local gun mongers wares I spied a fairly newish offering from HK called the P2000 in the golden caliber of the age .40 S&W, read a book kids it happened. I picked up and it melded to my hand. It was like being gifted a weapon from a long forgotten teutonic God. It also had a magnificent trigger mechanism known as LEM. The LEM was a marvel. A very light trigger, with a long take up for safety and fairly good break. Certainly better than the more pedestrian HK triggers. A pouch of gold later she would be mine. Literally I mean these damn things were EXPENSIVE back in the day, but I mean who REALLY needs TWO testicles.

I brought my new pride and joy home. I cleaned, oiled and marveled at the precision and basked in the awe that comes from owning an HK pistol. I too would soon be that kind of delta bravo. Alas twas not to be. The LEM trigger and I never would see eye to eye. I will link you to my original observations so many years back and leave you with one of my parting thoughts.

“So in my dissapointment I asked myself, "Self, what would John Wayne Do?. That is when I head the voice say...."Pilgrim, get rid of that Kraut Piece of Plastic and get yourself a good ole' American made piece of Walnut and Steel." Well when the duke talks to me I do two things.

1)Refill my prescription of Paxil
2)Listen to what he says.”

https://www.thehighroad.org/in...-a-contender.226513/

The gun that had fit so well and check so many boxes wasn’t to be. On to collecting the rest of the set.

Some 9 years later I was seeing prices drop on the P2000 and I remembered just how good that gun felt and just how many boxes it checked for me and how much I STILL hated the LEM trigger. I was at a bit of transitional point in my defensive firearms and was moving away from striker fired gun and back to DA/SA hammer fired guns like the troglodyte that I am. We are a simple people with simple needs. I figured what the hell, let’s give the old P2000 another go only this time in V3 or DA/SA guise.

Lack of impulse control…..check
Financial Sense of a Democratic Senator….check
Credit card with a limit no one in their right might should have approved for me……check
All systems GO.

So I ordered a .40 caliber V3 P2000 and you know what…………..sometimes you do get a second chance at a first love. Everything I hated about the LEM in the first pistol was gone with the DA/SA of the new pistol. It literally was the “one pistol” so to speak that I was looking for. I mean sure it certainly has an HK trigger and all the baggage that goes with that but for me that is not so much a hurdle and frankly a heavy DA first pull is desirable for me personally. So here we are 14 years later several P2000’s in two calibers and I am doing a review that is frankly 14 years too late.

So this brings me to my observations. HEY I SAID YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO READ THIS! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR "FINALLY!!!"

As always all of my observations are through the lens of this moment in time. They are my personal observations and in no way should they be construed as fact or “right” for everybody or frankly anybody but myself. I am not a gunfighter, I am not a cop, I am not a soldier, I have never been part of any secret squirrel, meat eating outfit, although if I had would I say so……but I digress. I am just a gun geek who has been lucky enough to experience a wide range of firearms and has been blessed to only use them in joy and not anger, may it ever be so. So what I am saying is I am NO subject matter expert. I am just some random idjit on the interwebz and my knowledge and skill is questionable at best. You have been warned. Go to your safe space if need be. All rating will be out of 5, so as Jerry Miculek would say……”HERE WE GO.”

VALUE - 5
In 2006 I gave this a 2 out of 10. It was an $800 plastic pistol. Let’s be honest HK or not. Blessed by Tibetan monks on the backs of naked virgins or not…….that’s just crazy talk. Today however this is a $550-$600ish dollar pistol with a great corporate pedigree, fantastic machining, all steel parts, real sights out of the box and in many cases 3 magazines. In today’s world this is truly a Glock 19 competitor and I believe does a great many things better and if you are one of those troglodytes who prefers a hammer fired pistol then this is an excellent Glock 19/23 alternative.

TRIGGER – 3/4
It’s is an HK double/single action trigger. It is what it is, a combat trigger designed as much for firing the gun when called upon as it is for NOT FIRING the gun when not called upon. It works great with gloved hands and frankly is fairly smooth and not as heavy as you would think. Reset is meh, single action break is meh, but at the end of the day it works for me and isn’t as bad as many folks would have you believe. I know, I know TWO WHOLE TRIGGER PULLS TO LEARN!!!!! I mean TWO!!!!!! There has to be app for that am I right???? I am going to rate this a 3 or a 4, a 3 for the masses and a 4 for me. Crappy triggers speak to me and it is FAR better than the LEM for ME PERSONALLY.
Let me just state for the record the LEM trigger system is not inherently flawed or bad or dangerous or broken in any way. It is a perfectly viable product. It just tends to be a love hate affair and I hate it. So plain old, just ok DA/SA is right in my wheel house.

ERGOS - 4
The P2000 is sort of the forgotten red headed step child of the HK line. It is basically a USP Compact with the trigger and overall functionality of the P30. It only has replaceable back straps and has neither the super aggressive checkering of the USP or modularity of the P30. It is however perfect for me. Many folks complain about the slick sides. I personally find them to a huge benefit in carrying and the stippling for an aft provides me plenty of grip. The grip itself is made for actual human hands not life sized Lego MINIFIG hands like a certain competitor who’s name rhymes with a large bird who wakes you up in the morning. I KEED IKEED.
The control are large and fully ambidextrous. I personally like this. The minimalistic controls on a Glock are certainly not a bad thing but I like to have a fairly useable slide lock and release. The controls do not get in my way at all.

The magazine release is a ……… well it’s a come to Jesus type thing. You either love it or you hate. I happen to love paddle style magazine releases for a variety of reasons. Just a hint for those who might not think to do so, use your trigger or middle finger of your shooting hand to drop mags, its blazing fast and doesn’t require a grip change. That said if you hate paddle magazine releases…….well yeah then ERGOS gets a 1 for you.
The overall size of the P2000 is damn near identical to a Glock 19/23 yet FEELS smaller. The melting and rounded edges make it carry far better in my opinion and the grip, as I said actually fits human hands.

RELIABILITY - 5
I have a lots of rounds through 4 P2000’s in 9mm and .40 caliber and don’t think I can remember a stoppage to this point. Everything from powder puff stuff to HOT defensive stuff. That said I always caution those who are buying HK pistols to run a box or three of hotter and or heavier for caliber ammo through them to break them it. They are very tight, sprung heavily and usually have some plastic flashing that will wear off the frame rails. The 9mms especially may not like crappy 115 grain stuff at first, they will break in quickly and may very well not need any break in. Just a little forewarning and experience I have gleaned over the years.
HK magazines, in my experience, are excellent and USPc mags are not that expensive all things considered. No you will not get 144 of them for six bucks and a 12 pack of beer at the local Pep Boys like Glock magazines but they are not stupid money either.

DURABILITY – 5
ANY modern piece of tactical Tupperware is going to be a durable affair. They ride on steel rails, they soak up the recoil impulse in the polymer and most of the gun is fairly impervious to the elements. HK’s rate pretty much all their guns for 20,000 rounds. That isn’t to destruction, that is what they rate the recoil spring assemblies for and that’s pretty fantastic. The barrels are hell for stout and there are plenty of articles of various HKS running eleventy billion rounds through them just like Glocks and M&Ps and and and. The point is a modern polymer pistol is going to last through quite a lot of use.

RECOIL - 4
I think most HK’s tend to handle recoil better then competitive models. Now don’t go into this thinking this a night and day statement and they all feel like .22 magnums, that is not the case. I will say that the P2000 in both 9mm and especially .40 soak up recoil extremely well. You do have to contend with the higher bore axis so you will pay the piper a bit on muzzle flip but it’s nothing to write home about.

ACCURACY - 4
The P2000 is a fairly small, polymer pistol and with that comes a certain skill level needed to shoot them well. Mechanically they are VERY accurate with extremely nice barrels. In practical shooting accuracy for me personally I am more than happy as I can shoot them fairly fast and they point so naturally to me. That said I have neither the skill or knowledge to give any real world feedback accuracy as I may not be at the bottom of the class but I get them soda’s during detention. If anything lets down the practical accuracy it’s the lack of crispness in the trigger. Here are just some random range trips from the years.

CARRY-ABILITY - 5
I am going give this a 5. After many years of carrying and learning what works and what doesn’t I am going to say the P2000 makes a marvelous carry gun and I would go so far to say it does better than its smaller sibling the SK. The gun is melted where it needs to be and has curves that sort of nestle in perfectly, at least for me. The grip offers a full hold while still being unobtrusive with a flat floor plate and comfortable against bare skin. I have said it before but the P2000 FEELS smaller than a comparable Glock 19/23

EFFICIENCY - 2
HK has never been known for their efficiency or size to capacity. The P2000 in stock form gives up 1 round in .40 caliber and 2 rounds in 9mm to a comparable Glock 19/23. It will readily take 13, 15 or 17 round magazines from the P30, however and those do not add a huge amount of bulk. That said stock for stock the P2000 is not as efficient as its rivals. Now does 13 rounds vs 15 rounds make a practical difference? Well more ammo is only bad if you are swimming or on fire, but in my opinion I don’t feel the capacity difference makes for a statistically significant difference. If you find me dead at with my gun at slide stop……..you have my permission to chisel that statistical comment on my stone along with Nelson saying HA HA.

SIGHTS - 3
Today, we have FANTASTIC sight options. Bright colored large front sights, u notches, fiber optics, dots, radar guided heat seeking…..ok I am getting ahead of myself. Out of the box the sights on the P2000 are very good in either stock or night sight guise. They are REAL steel three dot sights. There are aftermarket options of course, but bone stock the sights on a P2000 are perfectly good sights and far better than the dovetail protectors that come on a Glock 19/23. Ok to be fair the GEN 5 Ameriglos are GREAT sights and better then the P2000’s.

FIT AND FINISH – 5+
HK’s make a fantastic product. The metal work, the polymer work, the barrels, the attention to detail, assembly, the magazines, everything has an air of precision and craftsmanship about it. Does any of that matter in the real world????? Not really, but I appreciate it.

TAKE DOWN - 4
Slide slide back a tick, push out slide lock lever, remove slide from frame. No muss, no fuss, no trigger pull, no issues if the trigger is fowled and cannot be pulled for some reason. I very much like this style of take down. I personally prefer it to the NUBS on most striker pistols and like not having to pull the trigger. None of that makes the average striker pistol take down BAD or HARD and in fact for a great many folks they would likely prefer the average striker take down and they are not wrong. At any rate I will give this a 4 only because you have an extra part laying around (The slide lock).

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
As I have said numerous times above the P2000 FEELS smaller than it is. The P30 and VP9 are similar in this regard. For being a fighting sized pistol that is equally at home on the night stand as it is IWB it is a remarkable comfortable pistol to both shoot and carry and those two attributes rarely come together.

I never thought I would associate HK pistols with value but with the current HK pricing model I would argue they are a better value than some competitors.

They are HK and they used to hate you. The reality is I have never had to use HK customer service but I have interacted with them with a few questions on several occasions and they were fast to reply, accurate in their information and a pleasure to deal with. Other folks have had great customer experiences over the last several years. So they might still hate you but at least they are gritting their teeth and hiding it now.

Why the hell would you want a hammer fired DA/SA pistol in 2020? Well because I am a troglodyte, I thought we addressed that. Seriously though for myself personally I find that administrative gun handling is far more likely then gun fighting and I prefer a heavy DA first pull. I also very much prefer the control scheme on most HK pistols. Strikers are easier and cheaper to make, easier to train on, are a more closed system and really the way forward for most folks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I do, however, still feel there is a place for a good old, hammer fired DA/SA gun even in 2020 and although my reasons may not match yours, they are right for me.

Oddly enough I bought a second .40 caliber P2000 some time after the first and I got sequential serial numbers. I found that kind of cool.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The P2000 is my go to handgun for self defense, be it for carry, home defense, repelling boarders riding all the rides in the amusement park we call life right now. Although to most it is the red headed step child of the HK line for me personally, it is more akin to the Goldilocks in the line. Not too big, not too small, not hard to shoot, not hard to carry and will do anything I ask of it safely and reliably all while fitting me like a glove and frankly I can’t ask for more. I am glad I gave first love a second chance.

As always, take care and shoot safe,
Chris

And quit your ‘bitchin…..I told you didn’t have to read it!!

Last edited by cslinger; October 20, 2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old October 20, 2020, 01:17 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

Accusing a democrat of financial idiocies while living in a republican controlled Senate/Presidency with highest debt in US history, check.

But the German P2000 is great. Agreed.
Old October 20, 2020, 01:54 PM   #3
cslinger

Everybody's a critic.

Sorry about the pic size on desktop. Looked fine on mobile devices. This should be a better.
Old October 21, 2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Destructo6

I carried them for a dozen years. Broke 5 of them. I won't miss it.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 22, 2020, 01:14 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

Broke???

Hum. not saying true, just first time I've heard of any issue on the P2000
Old October 22, 2020, 02:05 PM   #6
cslinger

Quote:
. Hum. not saying true, just first time I've heard of any issue on the P2000
The CBP loaded HOT 155 grain .40. I have shot some of it and it is as close to “+P .40” that I have ever felt. I know that they saw some wear and breaks on their guns. The TRS, especially in the LEM guns can be an issue too.

I can’t speak for the poster above but those are the weak points I know of.
Old October 22, 2020, 05:43 PM   #7
TunnelRat

I never had any issue with mine, but they were all 9mm except for one and the 40SW didn’t stay around long (although it was pretty comfortable in that cartridge).

I really enjoyed the pistol. I put a few thousands rounds through a few of them without any parts breakages. It’s really an excellent size. My only gripe really was the trigger. I had a number of times where I outran the reset. This was back before Bruce Gray had his reduced reset kit. I’ve debated getting another and trying that kit out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 23, 2020, 01:34 AM   #8
JDBerg

cslinger, you posted this on THR forum and I’m posting my response from that forum to this one. I enjoyed your article about one of my very personal favorite, most versatile pistols that I own & enjoy. My 9mm v3 P2000 works for me for whatever I want to use it for, be it at the range or for carry purposes.

As good as this gun has been for me in the @3 yrs. I’ve owned it, when I recently put the large backstrap on it, it seemed to really help point the gun to the target, and it also helped with felt recoil. I think it is worthwhile to experiment with the backstraps that come in the box with the gun, you might surprise yourself!
Old October 23, 2020, 10:53 AM   #9
zoo

I think cslinger put more effort into that post then I did my masters thesis.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:32 AM   #10
cslinger

Nahhh you probably edited your masters thesis and bothered to spell and grammar check occasionally

Writing is a catharsis for me and I have often over the years on various forums thrown my observations of some of the guns I have experience with on the net.

Beyond the catharsis I am fairly agnostic in my firearms and have a fairly wide range of experience with them so my hope is that if somebody new is researching they might be able to glean some intangibles from me, maybe get a chuckle and avoid simply reading “Get a Glock 19” or “Get a .357 revolver” 10, 000 times. (FOR THE RECORD NEITHER OF THOSE ARE LIKELY A BAD CHOICE AND I FULLY ENDORSE BOTH).

Besides......catharsis. Beats the hookers and heroin......although those would be cheaper.

Take care, shoot safe
Chris
Old October 23, 2020, 11:40 AM   #11
cslinger

JDBerg,

I have run all the backstraps and the stock medium is PERFECT for me.

In a P30 I have found the small blackstrap and large side panels work great for me.

In a Glock 19 I have found other people’s hands work best for me. . I kid actually I run my Glocks just fine just not as intuitively, and the Gen 5 Glock 19 legitimately feels good.
Old October 23, 2020, 04:13 PM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger:
I have run all the backstraps and the stock medium is PERFECT for me.

In a P30 I have found the small blackstrap and large side panels work great for me.
Like I said it’s worth it to experiment with the backstraps on the P2000. On my own P30 I have the largest backstrap & sidepanels and that is what works for me & my big hands. Doesn’t look real pretty but it shoots better that way so that’s what counts for me.

That’s what I like about the HK models that let you modify the grip to fit your shooting hand. I’d like to go with the VP9 2020 model with the modular grip like the P30, and which comes with 17 rd mags that work with the P30 and increase the capacity by 2 rounds. That is, if I can move out of the state that won’t let me have it in the first place.
Old October 23, 2020, 07:44 PM   #13
Forte S+W

Unfortunately, I cannot fully appreciate this review because the otherwise excellent writing is detracted from by the clashing style of whatever character or persona it is you're trying to do.

Seriously, it cheapens it, reducing it to something that feels less like a legitimate review and more like a transcript from some sort of bizarre infomercial or e-critic review which was written by an adult, but with a younger demographic whom the writer is no longer in touch with in mind.

Suddenly I'm stricken with an odd sense of dejavu... Oh well, might as well complete it by finishing my thought... You should drop the character you're doing, or at least adapt the writing style to suit the character better so that it doesn't clash with it so much.
Old October 23, 2020, 07:51 PM   #14
cslinger

You do realize that I’m not doing this for a living right? You do realize I am just doing this as a catharsis for me right? I mean, thanks for the feedback but frankly I would be more appalled at the horrific spelling and grammar long before getting into the content.

At any rate should I decide to pursue this in any professional regard I will take your criticism under advisement.

Look at the bright side at least I don’t need to send you a refund. .
Old October 24, 2020, 02:24 AM   #15
JDBerg

cslinger, I like your writing, if you went to work at any of the gunrags that I read, you’d be extremely overqualified. I know the gun you write about is terrific, and your targets attest to the fact that you know how to use it. It’s all good!
Old October 24, 2020, 01:28 PM   #16
zoo

I was just kidding with you, cslinger. I think you did a good job and expressed your enthusiasm well. Keep up the good work!
Old November 5, 2020, 12:07 AM   #17
HistoryJunky

Cslinger, I for one enjoyed your storytelling moment. And the P2000 review as well.

As a owner of a P30, I think my review would be pretty much the same as yours.

As a lefty I love HK pistols.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 5, 2020, 01:44 PM   #18
stinkeypete

@cslinger- I would grade that A++
“It’s ver accurate” is the usual baloney you avoided. You said “Here are my targets, 50 shot groups.” I’m going to compare your work to some of the old Jeff Quinn articles. Jeff had a ransom rest and showed actual targets. Jeff was a nicer man than you who could always seem to find the good in something while still giving his honest opinion. You have an edgy sarcastic wit that isn’t for everyone but for those of us who enjoy that sort of thing, it’s a treat. Your observation about murder hornets is one I will certainly steal for my own use.

I suppose I am possibly in the market for a G19 once everyone settles down and gun prices plunge as the market floods. I am too contrary to buy a G19, so it’s nice to keep a mental list of the competition in that category. I had always wondered about that HK.

Criticism of your writing style-

I was a returning adult student in the teacher education program of an elite university. Even us math teachers had to take a writing class. At this point, I was about 14 years older than all the other kids. We were assigned to write a few pages about one of our hobbies.

It just so happened I had been writing a review of a radio controlled sailplane. The stuff my friends and I were doing and using was about as close to a toy as a Ruger Blackhawk is to a water pistol... so this was a very specialized hobby. With a little work I had it ready to turn in for peer review.

The other kids didn’t like it. There were lots of things they didn’t understand, vocabulary, inside jokes. They made some excellent comments on other stuff, too.

I took the good advice and ignored a bunch too... and got on to my final draft. Class continued with another project as our TA got around to grading 30 articles. Time passes, then it’s time to conference with the TA for a one-on-one.

“The photos are excellent, much of the writing is vibrant, but as the group discussed- we don’t understand a lot of what you are saying. You really need to know your audience, and write for them!”

“I agree” I said. “I was not writing for the class...” and then I slide over a copy of my RC Digest magazine, opened to the page where my assignment had been published.

“Your article was published.”
“Yep.”
“What changes did the editors make?”
“None. The class really helped smooth out my earlier draft.”
“Well okay. That’s never happened in this class before. A+. Get outa here” she said with a smile.

Sometime we write for the money, sometime we write for others, sometime we write for ourselves.
Old December 3, 2020, 06:10 PM   #19
IAhunter

I carried a LEM P2000 in .40 on duty for roughly ten years or so (can't remember when issued it) before retirement. Great pistol, but I wasn't crazy about the mag release or trigger. It was an extremely durable and reliable gun. I fired many thousands of rounds through it and do not remember ever having a single malfunction. When I pulled the trigger, it went bang every time.

Although I will own one at some point, I will continue to carry Glocks as I prefer their ergos. Now if we can just get through this Covid nonsense so I can shop for one at a reasonable price. The USPc is a great gun too.
Old December 5, 2020, 11:31 PM   #20
Brian48

I have the HK P2000sk (non-LEM). It's been a very reliable gun and very comfortable to carry due to its light weight, but to be honest, I'm just not as fond of it as I am my other 9mm sub-compacts. The DA pull is ridiculously heavy and using the mag with the pinky extension pinches the hell out of my finger. Switching to the flat mag plate makes the grip difficult to grip with my medium size hands. Also, there's practically zero aftermarket parts to remedy these issues.

Needless to say, it's not my EDC.
Old December 6, 2020, 10:08 AM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
I have the HK P2000sk (non-LEM). It's been a very reliable gun and very comfortable to carry due to its light weight, but to be honest, I'm just not as fond of it as I am my other 9mm sub-compacts. The DA pull is ridiculously heavy and using the mag with the pinky extension pinches the hell out of my finger. Switching to the flat mag plate makes the grip difficult to grip with my medium size hands. Also, there's practically zero aftermarket parts to remedy these issues.

Needless to say, it's not my EDC.

Actually you can adjust the trigger pull. You can get USP hammer springs from Wolff gun springs of various weights. You can then trim them to match the length of the stock P2000sk spring. I used to do this when I had a P2000sk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 7, 2020, 08:28 AM   #22
Destructo6

[quote[The CBP loaded HOT 155 grain .40. I have shot some of it and it is as close to “+P .40” that I have ever felt. I know that they saw some wear and breaks on their guns. The TRS, especially in the LEM guns can be an issue too.[/quote]
Broke 3 or more trigger rebound springs, a trigger bar (finger), and cracked the front of a slide (guide rod hole). The 155 grain stuff was brutal and probably responsible for most of the damage, certainly the cracked slides, but the switch to 180 grain still saw lots of TRS break along with a fair number of trigger bars.

Odd that none of the few USPc we had ever suffered breaks, though they are similar.

Keep all of them clean.
Old December 26, 2020, 03:04 PM   #23
Ignition Override

cslinger:

I hope that none of your family or friends suffered from the direct or indirect effects of the massive explosion.

Very cool HK you have.
Old December 26, 2020, 04:18 PM   #24
cslinger

Thanks much. I am actually no longer in middle TN, but none of my friends were effected beyond phone service issues.
Old December 26, 2020, 05:25 PM   #25
mrt949

Had A P200SK 40 SW With LEM Sold it .My MP 40C Was Better For me