The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2020, 02:36 AM   #1
458winshooter

358432 mould

I got one of these off of GB some time ago a two cavity 160 gr but haven't found any load data for it. Does anyone have any idea where I can find any?
Old August 31, 2020, 07:51 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I don't spot any data for it. You could call Lyman and ask if they have any. QuickLOAD suggests, assuming you load it near flush with the case mouth like you would a 148-grain wadcutter, that the bullet would be about 0.05" longer and that you will want to reduce the powder charge about 12% from one used with a 148-grain wadcutter.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 31, 2020, 08:12 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

Page 141 of the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook.
First edition!
Old August 31, 2020, 11:38 AM   #4
gwpercle

My 38 specials and 357 magnums fell in love with this bullet and target and mid-range loads . used 1 cavity mould (160 gr.) on E-bay no one wanted ...after testing bought a 4 cavity NOE mould of this design ... it's about the only 38/357 bullet I cast anymore .

I had to take Target and Midrange loading data from two different manuals :

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Edition #3 , data for #358446 - 162 grain SWC

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Edition #4, data for #358311 - 160 grain RN

This bullet isn't deep seated but seated out more like a conventional SWC or RN bullet but with a WC nose . I looked at the data for both comparing powder and charge to velocity listed to get a place to start...start low and work up slowly .

Seat the bullet so you can roll crimp into the bullets crimp groove ... this will set OAL perfectly ...no need to measure , I seat and crimp in two separate steps for better accuracy .

With several powders this bullet design is easy to get accurate loads with .

For target paper punching and tin can killing : in 38 special - Lyman #358432 over
2.7 grains to 3.0 grains of Bullseye is an accuracy Champ ... find your revolver "sweet spot" and one ragged hole groups are the order of the day ...
Try it ...I think You'll like it ... I do .
Gary