The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
bt380

Freedom of Speech

When you research freedom of speech and freedom of expression, they are seriously tied together. Seems the guns people buy are a form of personal expression as well. People that buy guns like to modify them, carry them different, buy different guns, etc. Again, all forms of expression. So why isn't the banning of our guns another form of taking away our freedom of expression (freedom of speech)? Not to worry, the ACLU will now be all over this...trust me comrad....
Old January 24, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
iraiam

Since when has the ACLU even lifted a finger in support of the Second Amendment?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 24, 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving...
Old January 24, 2013, 11:34 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The principle does apply, in philosophical discussions, but in the real world, things are look at quite differently in some particulars.

Freedom of speech, freedom of expression are things who's legal limits are interpreted by our courts, and while many things that once were taboo are now much more permissable, it seems the opposite holds sway with firearms.

Because so many people confuse a statement with an act.

Once upon a time, burning our flag was considered an act, and one rather frowned upon. Today it is considered an expression of free speech, and therefore protected from govt interference under the First Amendment.

An atristic display of firearms would clearly be an expression, but today it seems like the ordinary folks can only see ownership, or enthusiasm for firearms as "dangerous nut with a GUN!!!!!!!!" After all, that's what they are being told they should see, virtually 24/7 by our entertainment/news media.

I do believe that ownership of a firearm (any firearm) is as least as valid an expression of free speech as any dung smeared religious icon in a tax payer funded art exhibition. Probably a bit more so...

But the public perception of guns is not as art, but of brutal killing machines. Again, just what they are being told...

As arms enthusiasts, we see the art in design, and execution, not merely the result of use and misuse. People don't seem to have any problem understanding the appreciation of the style and engineering of automobiles, even if they don't have it themselves. Not so with guns, not for the majority, at any rate.

So eventhough you or I might see something as art, or an expression of free speech, many others see only a threat to their safety. And with the media "teaching" them in one way or another that this is what they should see, its not likely to change soon.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Since when has the ACLU even lifted a finger in support of the Second Amendment?
Texas in 2007.

Nevada in 2008.

Florida in 2010.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
iraiam

Tom Servo; Intersting articles, for as long as I can remember the ACLU has taken the stand that Second Amendment was a collective right and would generally steer clear of gun control laws.

I Also see on their national website that they specifically state their disagreement with D.C. vs Miller, but...

"The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. However, particular federal or state laws on licensing, registration, prohibition, or other regulation of the manufacture, shipment, sale, purchase or possession of guns may raise civil liberties questions."

This is good to know, I had written off the ACLU years ago.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason