The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Gdawgs

Added the 327 to the corral

I picked up a Ruger SP101 in 327 Mag today. I've been wanting to get a 327 for several years but hadn't jumped in yet. I was really hoping that Ruger was going to make their new version of the SP101 (like the 22 LR version) in 327. But it sounds like they are dropping the 327 altogether, so I figurerd it was time.

So now I have to round up some components. Looks like all my usual online suppliers are out of brass. The reloading store I go to near the Twin Cities has some, so I may be taking a little road trip this weekend. It sounds like a great round to reload, so I'm excited.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

If you're interested in jacketed bullets, be sure to buy any Sierras that you want, when you see them. Sierra doesn't like running the uncommon handgun bullets, and they can be unavailable for long periods of time. Since the little .32 is their least popular handgun bullet... it has the lowest priority.
Hornady is better about running their XTPs, but the 85s and 100s still disappear fairly quickly during any 'shortage'.
Speer Gold Dots are decent, but I rarely see them. I'd be surprised if anyone still has any in stock right now.

Brass is harder to get. Starline shows that they'll be running some in February, if you wish to get on the backorder list.
Otherwise, you just have to hunt and peck your way through retailers and websites, until you find some. (Or buy factory ammo.)

For alternate cartridges...
The SP101 will not set off .32 ACP and .32 S&W as reliably as the other Ruger .327s. I would avoid them, altogether. But, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R will be just fine, should you wish to shoot them.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Gdawgs

Thanks for the info. Are you using small rifle primers? I keep seeing mixed reports whether to use small rifle or small pistol.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I use MagTech (CBC) SR primers for most .327 loads (even moderate loads), but SPs in everything else.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
Are you using small rifle primers? I keep seeing mixed reports whether to use small rifle or small pistol.
While I have seen some load posted in the occasional gun magazine with loads worked up with small pistol primers, there's only on REAL source for the cartridge, and that source is Federal/Speer. Techs at ATK ensure that this round is only ever factory loaded with small rifle primers.

With a max chamber pressure of 45,000 PSI, small rifle primers are a must, and pass the word to anyone handloading it that it's spec'd for small rifle primers.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:28 PM   #6
chiefr

I like the 327, I would like to see some manufacturer come out with a heavier jacketed bullet.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Jbotto

Quote:
So now I have to round up some components. Looks like all my usual online suppliers are out of brass. The reloading store I go to near the Twin Cities has some, so I may be taking a little road trip this weekend. It sounds like a great round to reload, so I'm excited.
Good luck with your search and your new round to load! Too bad that Little Crow or B & J can't have something like that on hand for you. I would bet Little Crow could order it for you, but I don't know if that's the route I would go or not. I can't remember seeing .32's in their bullet inventory last time I was in. You could always bulk order cast bullets, and check out Starline for .327 brass. Might find some somewhere!
Old January 17, 2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Gdawgs

Ahh, you are familiar with the area. The Gunstop has brass, so I ordered 300from them. Dies are also on order. I talked with Mike at Mastercast bullets. He said he hasn't tried his .32 cal bullets in .327 yet, so wasn't sure how they'll work. So he's sending me some of the 78 and 100 grain to try out. I suspect that they will work just fine. I always enjoy talking to him. I also dad my dad pick up some 100 gr XTPs back in ND. I should be good once it all gets here.

Thanks for the info.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Colorado Redneck

The SP101 in 327 Fed Mag is a really nice piece. You will really enjoy your new gun. Loading components will be aavailable again, if you find some things hard to obtain now.

I got some Berrys double ended wad cutters from Powder Valley. They shoot really nice for the range and just plinking around. Load them fairly mild. Full house loads are fairly loud and harsh on the old ears.

Congrats on your new gun!
Old January 17, 2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Jbotto

Yes sir, I'm very familiar with the area! My home is about 16 miles east of Hutch. But I'm in the NW MN for college. You could always try Habisch Outdoors too... He has told me he can order pretty much any reloading components I need. Good luck with those bullets!