The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2010, 01:29 AM   #1
shawler

stock needed

I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have or know where I can buy a used stock for a Stevens Browning model 621 12 gauge? This gun was made between years 1927 thru 1953 and was a "utility" pump. I got one at the last gun show that is in very good condition but missing the rear stock - I should say most of it, It was cut very short so I have the option of making a pistol gripped shortie out of it but the 32 inch barrel would be a shame to cut!
Any help will be appreciated!
Old June 8, 2010, 07:03 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Try Boyd's stocks they make many different models of stocks and many for the older guns.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Steven Mace

It Boyd's doesn't have one try the link below:

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagestocks/

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old June 9, 2010, 11:45 PM   #4
shawler

gun stock wanted

Thanks for the references...I have already checked most of the suppliers of old gunstocks to no avail. What I am now thinking is splicing a piece of old walnut stock to the 10 inch stub I have left on the original wood. I dont care too much what it will look like (seam) but I need to keep it whole and have a shooter. Even a A5 Browning stock would work, or any old shotgun stock that does not have a hole in the center for the mounting. Anyone have anything like that to send to me? "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"!!
Thanks, Paul
Old June 10, 2010, 06:17 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

short stock

Had the same problem with an old Italian made Charles Daley double.
You can add a piece of walnut on to the existing stock but I would suggest placing two dowels between the existing wood and the add on wood. Glue and hold the stock together with a binding strap.

Mine looks a bit odd but it's a shooter.
Old June 11, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6
shawler

stevens browning 621 stock

Thanks Ammo.Crafter. I have seen repairs that were not only functional but with good matching grain in the wood the seam was almost invisable. I certainly will attempt this if I can only find someone with a old stock that they will part with, Come on you guys, check your parts bins and see if you got something that will work for me. All help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old June 11, 2010, 06:10 PM   #7
zippy13

Since you have the section of the stock that fits into the receiver, that's the key to making a stock. You can put together a pattern stock that's mostly Bondo and then have it duplicated in wood.

At one time Lee Davis was offering free stocks just to test out a new carver/duplicator. Check out his thread Send me a butt stock?