The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 11, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
SMITTY70

CZ 527 Scope Ring Issues

I have a CZ 527 carbine that I've wanted to scope. HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD A PROBLEM GETTING A CZ 527 SCOPED OUT? By the way, my scope is a Vari X-III Leupold 1.5-5X20.

I went to Cabela's for rings and picked up Leupold Medium CZ 527 rings. They didn't work, two rear rings were in the package (and the other one didn't even sit rite on the rear base). Second trip, go back to Cabela's and get exchanged for the remaining package of Leupold CZ 527 rings and they didn't work either. The ring for the rear base fit better, but the ring for the front base is too wide by like and 1/8 of an inch and just slides off. What junk! I am not happy with Leupold over this.
What to do?
I guess I should have just called CZ-USA and got the factory rings (only sold in high).
SMITTY70
Old May 11, 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
sholling

That's one of the few things that I don't like about CZs. Scoping them is a PIA! And the excessively long bolt throw forces you to mount the scope way too high.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
pilothunter

Midway has rings for CZs and will ship today, if in stock. These rings are FAR better than the CZ supplied ones in both 527 and 550

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=272969
Old May 11, 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
stubbicatt

Is yours a 1" scope? I have 1" medium Warne rings which I am not using since I mounted a 30mm scope. They worked really well for me for several years.

If you PM me with an address, I'll pack 'em up and ship 'em to you. Just send me back whatever the shipping amount is.

Send me your particulars via PM.

Oh. BTW, you will want to have your bolt handle recontoured so that the ocular lens bell will clear the bolt handle. It cost me $25 at Hickman Rifles. It is better than finding high rings, which make shooting your rifle much less enjoyable.

Old May 11, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
PetahW

I've always put Burris/CZ rings on my CZ's (527,550, & 611) w/o any issues whatsoever.

Besides which, they're about half the price of the CZ issue rings.

I buy online, from a discount optics dealer: www.swfa.com

Old May 16, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
speedsixman

Burris Rings

Question for PetahW -

Was there any bolt interference with the Burris rings?
Any other clearance problems?

I just bought a 527 carbine but haven't ordered the scope and rings yet.

Thanks,

Myron
Old May 16, 2009, 11:09 PM   #7
chris in va

Here you go, this will cure the issue of proprietary CZ rings.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=619
Old May 17, 2009, 12:13 AM   #8
MAWLER

I'm interested to hear the answers to these questions too and how the situation can be comfortably fixed.

Also, in reference to clearing the bolt handle - how much higher than standard are we saying the scope needs to be to clear? Or does the milling of the bolt handle cure the need for a higher than optimal mounting?

Cheers,
Old May 17, 2009, 03:17 AM   #9
EAJ702

I'm not familiar with the carbine, but do own a CZ 527 .223 Cal. Varmint Kevlar rifle, and use the following configuration.

Receiver dovetail: 16mm
Weaver 6-20x40mm AO Grand Slam Riflescope w/ Butler Creek FO Covers
CZ Rings, Medium (.555"). (CZ only carries one size ring.)

Some CZ owners purchase James Calhoun's modified bolt for addtional clearance however I didn't find it was necessary with my set up.

Old May 17, 2009, 07:51 AM   #10
thallub

I own two CZ 527 rifles and have scoped several for other guys. Have always used the CZ rings that come with the rifle and have never had a problem. I do use the scope alignment bars and the honing bar.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:31 AM   #11
PetahW

[Was there any bolt interference with the Burris rings?]
[Any other clearance problems?]

As posted, no issues. ( CZ-527Lux Hornet, Leupy Compact 2-7x28mm )

Old May 17, 2009, 03:30 PM   #12
SMITTY70

Still having issues with the 527 rings.

A guy on here, stubbicatt sent me some Warne medium rings. Thanks for the effort, but they didn't work out for me. Thanks for the effort, I'll get them back in the mail to you before this week is over.

My rifle is a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 (with iron sites) and my scope is a Leupold Vari X-III 1.5-5X20. The Warne rings did fit much better than the two sets of Leupold 527 rings that I tried out.

Two issues with the Warne rings:
First the rings still were short enough that on a lower power setting on my glass (like 1.5 to nearly 3 power) I could still see the outline of the front site hood in the optic. I'm going to have to use Warne high rings or factory CZ rings.
Secondly there is the bolt handle issue, it needs to be bent if a guy is going to use a medium set of rings. The blolt handle will smack right up against the rear bell (rear objective) of the scope. I guess there is a reason that CZ only produces high 527 rings, as low's would never work and medium rings would require a mod. to the bolt handle.
I do think the 527 Carbine in 7.62X39 is a great little rifle and would keep it even if I couldn't scope it out.
Thanks for everybodies help.
SMITTY70
Old May 17, 2009, 06:21 PM   #13
PetahW

It's quite common, with ANY rings, to see the front sight at the lower end of a scope's power range - because that's where it remains in focus.
It cannot be seen at the higher end because it's then out of focus.

Most shooters simply get used to it being there, as it's only a distraction when first encountered.
A big help would be to remove the front sight hood - something I've done with every rifle I've owned since 1963.

Old June 15, 2017, 05:21 PM   #14
Husqvarna

I know the thread is necrotic at this stage

but I just got my cz527 (now I know how you americans feel with ATF waiting times, I had to wait for a license in TWO countries!) ordered it back in January so been waiting a long time

if possible I want to retain the ironsights and have QR rings

what to chose?

either a 8x56 zeiss

or a vortex crssfire 6-18x44

what rings should I use?
Old June 16, 2017, 06:42 AM   #15
precision_shooter

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585

I used this base on my CZ 527, then you can use any rings you want and retain the iron sights. I would not reccomend using the "see through" style rings. Use some quick detach rings so you can pull the scope easily if you want to switch to irons.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 17, 2017, 08:18 AM   #16
surveyor

I have two 527's, both have the dip bases, one has a leupold 6x target dot, and the other has a 8x32x56 sightron, the dip bases and low bolt handles are your friends. The older 527's had bolt handles that would give interference with eyepieces if mounted low, I think the newer ones may have the redisigned bolt handles.
Low bolt handle on this one

This one is in burris signature rings.

Last edited by surveyor; June 17, 2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:18 AM   #17
RC20

Warne has a ring ap, you should always use that.

You put in your rifle, the objective size and it tells you what ones work.

CZ rings are very costly.

Warne are very reasonable and Sportsman's is the most reasonable on them.
Old June 24, 2017, 04:30 PM   #18
Husqvarna

yeah I knew about the warne but figured that there was a cheaper option

there wasn't

be sure to check the length of your scope to if you plan to keep the iron sights

gotta pick one not much over 30cms

great rifle thou, I was hitting clay pidgeons out to 140m with the irons today (from a bench)
Old June 30, 2017, 12:49 PM   #19
wachtelhund1

I have two CZ 527s and the easiest way two scope them is with a DIP extended scope base http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1133585 . I have them on both of my CZ 527s. Once installed it allows you to use any Weaver or tactical type ring, also provides clearance for scope and bolt handles.

CZ 527 6.5 SPC

Last edited by wachtelhund1; June 30, 2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added picture
Old July 1, 2017, 09:44 AM   #20
jackstrawIII

Sorry you're having problems. My CZ brand rings fit with no issues whatsoever.
Old July 17, 2017, 06:41 AM   #21
claiborne

Conetrol Rings

Years ago I had a CZ - 527 American, 19 badger. I mounted a Leupold M8 6x42 using Conetrol Daptar bases and Custom medium rings. Along with a modified bolt handle from James Calhoon, this was as slick a setup as any. It was not the cheapest solution by far.
Old July 17, 2017, 04:26 PM   #22
Hilltop Shooter

I have 3 CZ 527's, a 550, 452, 513, and a 512 and i used the supplied CZ rings with all of them and have had no issues. I dont mind the scope sitting up a bit. Matter of fact each one has shot so good and been so fun that i keep adding more CZ's to my collection. If the rifle was bought used or shipped without the CZ rings, thats another story.