The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Any practical defensive value to the coach gun ?

Just curious to you thoughts …
I picked up a Stoger 12ga side by side Coach gun the other day. Single trigger, 20” barrel. I had nothing in particular in mind when I purchased it other than I’ve just always wanted one. I am, however; pleasantly surprised; this thing points and shoots like a dream. Went through 100 rounds of #7 shot and 15 rounds of 3” 00 buck… it’s fast.
Is there anyone out there teaching a tactical manipulation for this weapon? Is there any reason to reach for this instead of my Benelli super 90?

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old February 11, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Doyle

Unfortunately, Stoeger makes their coach guns without external hammers. One of the great things about a typical coach gun is that you can leave it loaded and totally safe with the hammers down.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

I only wish their nickle plated coach guns had just ONE TRIGGER.

See I don't plan on firing both barrels at once so a single trigger that works by recoil would do.

And ejectors instead of extractors. H&R make cheap shotguns with ejectors and they work perfect, so why not on a double?

To keep it loaded just open the action and place to rounds in it or on a butt cuff. Don't close the action. Just leave it like that. When needed just snap the action shut as you grab it.

Deaf
Old February 12, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Doubles and singles are shorter than pumps and autos. Many times they handle better. Much better than a pump with extended mag, side saddle, ammo sling, bidet, flashlight, etc. Simplicity is good. Doubles are sort, fast, simple guns.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:36 AM   #5
dos0711

00 buckshot is still 00 buckshot even in a coach gun.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Dwight55

I had one similar once that I bought to defend my sign shop I operated then.

At 30 feet, . . . both triggers pulled, . . . the "pattern" of 2 3/4 inch 00 buck was something in the neighborhood of 14 inches wide and about 9 inches tall.

I am very much thankful that I never had to uncork that thing, . . . but at the same time, . . . maybe the word got around not to mess with that long haired Vietnam vet that runs the sign shop, . . . however it worked out, . . . I was in a pretty seedy part of town but never had any trouble.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Quote:
Is there anyone out there teaching a tactical manipulation for this weapon?
Clint Smith does. You can see a bit of it at about 2:27 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw
Old February 12, 2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Thanks Webleymkv

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old February 12, 2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

At the NTI, we did a mystery gun run with one in a shoot house. It was a hoot as you were wearing a long nightshirt to simulate getting out of bed. You had to carry extra ammo in your hands or in a box and tote it around the shoot house. We didn't have practice with the gun before hand. We had slugs and birdshot as a mix - confusion reigns.

As far as Joe Biden and two shots, I came across two targets - BOOM, BOOM and surprise there was another - so I butt stroke it with the empty gun as it was very close (OOOPS - ).

Sure, it's a gun and you can run it. Joe could stop an armored division with one.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Glenn Dee

I actually have been trained to use a side by side short shotgun in practical situations. Like any other gun it is just a tool. My issue gun was, and is still my preference a Stevens-311 with 18" barrels. I used the gun to do room clearing during dynamic entries, and search for perps.

These are modern guns with no external hammers. They are used for anti personell, breaching, and in a pinch they make a great club. Spare rounds are carried in a pocket or a pouch. The issue ammo is 00 Buck, and 12ga Slugs.

I still keep one for home defense.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:22 PM   #11
g.willikers

Just check out all those cowboy action match videos for examples of side by side shooting technique.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Erno86

John Wayne...gave a few tactical moves, with his coach shotgun, in a few of his cowboy movies.

Roy Lee Emery...has a segment on the coach shotgun, on one of his taped video's about the evolution of the shotgun --- past and present --- on the Discovery Channel

Last edited by Erno86; February 17, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:44 PM   #13
SIGSHR

I would trust my 1973 vintage Rossi Overland 12 gauge Coach gun any day.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #14
egor20

Quote:
As far as Joe Biden and two shots, I came across two targets - BOOM, BOOM and surprise there was another - so I butt stroke it with the empty gun as it was very close (OOOPS - ).
Should have had one of these Glenn.

Chiappa is developing two new classy-looking three-barrel shotguns called the Triple Threat and the Triple Crown. Both are break-action 12-gauge shotguns with the barrels in a triangular arrangement.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 13, 2013, 11:46 PM   #15
locnload

I have a Stoeger Coach Gun that I bought several years ago with the intention of getting active in Cowboy Action shooting someday. I have not done that yet but I keep it handy for uninvited guest. So far all of those have been in the form of bears trying to get into my "bear proof trash can", apparently they don't know what the picture of a bear with a circle and slash means. Or being bears, maybe they just don't care. Anyway my Coach Gun is fitted with one of those elastic shell holders on the stock. I have two rubber buckshot loads for the furry fellers just to put the "fear of God" in em and get them out of my yard without really hurting them, and three real buckshot loads as backup in case they get nippy, or the visitors are in the form of nasty thugs. Its easy to handle, doesn't weigh much, and it gives me the ability to drop in the right load for the task at hand, and easily unload for safe storage when the problem goes away. And, its just plain fun, everybody should have one.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:20 AM   #16
KC9LDB

I have the same gun, just had it out at the range today blasting some old shells. That gun is a tank, I bought mine used with a messed up stock for $200 painted it the same color at my car (GM silver mist), It looks ridiculous. but skeet shooting, trap shooting, slug/00 fun, This gun does it all. I wouldn't recommend it for HD due to the auto safety, I modified mine but it still poses an issue occasionally. Other reason is it only is two rounds, that Benelli is far superior. But for a truck/trunk gun(where mine lives) just a great all around shotgun!
Old February 14, 2013, 12:43 AM   #17
Doc Intrepid

I have a Stoeger double bbl coach gun in 20 ga.

It's a lightweight classic that's short enough and handy to use for home defense. While I'm not a cowboy match shooter, I've seen some amazing performances from cowboy match shooters using shotguns just like mine.

I can't recall reading about a shootout inside a home in our town in the last 20 years, or a home defense scenario anywhere, really, that went further than 4 rounds of 00 Buck. But if that should occur, there are several handguns nearby that would offer additional options.

I think a coach gun would work fine in a home defense or truck gun role. The idea is that you're not going to war or taking on the Crips, but you're facing one or two assailants who aren't going to be happy looking down the barrels of a coach gun. It's as likely as any other shotgun to remind them of urgent business they suddenly remembered they have elsewhere...
Old February 14, 2013, 10:41 AM   #18
jackpine

doubles are great for those fights that you know beforehand that you will need two or less rounds to finish the fight.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:21 PM   #19
FireForged

I think a coach would deal with "most" home defense issues very well. It is rather limiting (2 shot) and I would not be my first choice in a shotgun.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:52 PM   #20
Newton24b

practical? yes, defensive? yes

why you ask?

two barrels is better then one. how many times have you been out target shooting with your pump or auto, and it jams on ya, and you know yourself. those jams take minutes to clear.

so with that double, ideally not a " recoil resetting the trigger for a follow up shot" you still have a functioning weapon. not very fast but still a weapon.

besides how many times in korea did those short little guys named charlie kick our semi and full auto armed butts while armed with bolt action rifles?
Old February 16, 2013, 03:19 PM   #21
bbqbob51

While only 2 shots, I think the Coach Gun is a very acceptable choice for self defense. It is extremely simple to use, probably no other firearm is simpler. Semi-auto pistols are all the rage with most everyone but I wonder just how much these people go out and practice with them. There is a lot to think about, safeties, racking the slide, jamming, clearing the jam, etc.
In the case of the Double barreled Coach Gun, you can have it loaded and when you need to use it, you just take the safety off, point and shoot. It's great for the close quarter of a home, has great knock down power and is forgiving as to how you aim it. I think a Coach Gun along with a good double action revolver chamber in .357mag/.38spl is a terrific combo to defend your home.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:31 PM   #22
wnycollector

The only shotgun my wife will use is an old central arms 16ga, that I cut down to 18.5" years ago. She loves the simplicity of the side by side and simple manual of arms. In her words it's "idiot proof ". That's also the reason she carries a revolver
Old February 17, 2013, 07:18 PM   #23
SIGSHR

Hasn't Ye Olde Double Barrel pretty much been the standby for years, AFAIK pumps and semiautos only really gained in popularity starting in the 1960s (?). The coach gun simply has shorter barrels.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Deaf Smith

Whoa guys...

The twin barreled shotguns have some value but they are limited to specific scenarios and not good general purpose defensive shotguns for you can most certainly miss with a shotgun.

If I had to pick just one shotgun it would be a 18 inch barreled semi-auto like a 11-87 and a 4 shot side saddle.

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; February 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:42 PM   #25
Glenn Dee

LOL Sig..

you gave me the best laugh of the week.. "Ye Olde Double Barrel" FUNNY!