The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2022, 12:24 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Replacing RCBS Decapping Rod

Using RCBS 6.5 Creedmor die sets and I managed to bend the decapping rod. Not paying attention, now I have to replace the rod. Can one buy just the rod? If so, where can I get it or better off buying the die or set depending on cost? Thank you in advanced for the help.
Old July 28, 2022, 05:04 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

Just call RCBS, I’m sure they’ll send you a replacement at no cost.
Old July 28, 2022, 06:32 AM   #3
mehavey

You bent the actual rod (not just the pin)?
Old July 28, 2022, 06:03 PM   #4
ballardw

Yes. https://www.rcbs.com/spare-parts-and...-pin/2079.html

The above web site offers the pins in packages of 5, 10 and 50 but you need to know your size.
Old July 28, 2022, 06:49 PM   #5
smith627

I broke a RCBS pistol primer decap pin years ago and called customer service about purchasing one or two pins. They said they would send me a few at no charge. I tried to at least pay for the shipping but they said no. They sent me a package of four decap pins.
Old July 29, 2022, 11:01 AM   #6
dewcrew8

rcbs's web page should have them plus midwayusa should to. If you call and rcbs sends you one then great, I would get extra's rods and pins so you don't have the down time next time it happens , I have them for lc brass. some things are made to wear out.
Old July 29, 2022, 12:02 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
some things are made to wear out.
the pin, ok. The shaft, not so much....

If you've bent the decapping stem in your die, you need to STOP, and figure out A) just how that happened, and even more importantly,

B) is there anything ELSE in your reloading process that you've screwed up?? and, how badly?
Old July 29, 2022, 02:41 PM   #8
mehavey

If the shaft was actually bent, `betcha the OP has small-flash-hole brass.

(Probable ditto for pin bent as well.)
Old July 29, 2022, 08:11 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

If the decapping stem (shaft) is contacting the web of the case (which it would have to be in order to get bent) your die stem is seriously out of adjustment.

A too small or off center flash hole can bend or break the PIN, (which is why they are replaceable) the shaft should never touch the case web.
Old July 30, 2022, 10:48 AM   #10
hammie

@ ninosdemente: As everyone else has said, midway sells the stem, expander and pin assembly for a little over 6 $.

For a long time, I've been doing the decapping and re-sizing in two steps. RCBS, Lyman, and Redding, all make universal decapping dies. I have a set of the redding's, but the one I use the most is the Lee universal decapping die. It's almost indestructible and costs about 12 $ now, from midway. When decapping in a separate step, you're not applying the same pressure you would from re-sizing, and you can easily feel if the pin is off center or hitting something it shouldn't. By decapping separately, you can run the expander rod higher in the re-sizing die so that there is little chance of hitting something.

And if I were replacing the decapping/expander rod, I would also get a tungsten carbide expander. Redding offers them for their dies, and I think the Lyman carbide expanders come with an adapter which allows them to fit RCBS dies. Carbide expanders are a bit pricey, but they will make your life a lot easier. No squawking, no need to lubricate, no neck stretching, and little effort. Although I've found that with light lubrication, the little effort reduces to no effort.
Old July 30, 2022, 01:31 PM   #11
lll Otto lll

If you bent the pin, find a drill bit that closely matches the diameter and Dremel off the shank.
Old August 10, 2022, 12:10 AM   #12
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes I bent the rod as I took it out of the die. Don't ask how... just that I should know better than to have that happened. Was not paying attention when it happened. The pin is fine. I will call RCBS and thanks for the link ballardw.

Hammie, I do decap separate. I have a Lyman universal decapping die. I was working on a dummy round when this happened. Would be able to provide a link to the Lyman carbide expanders? Thanks.
Old August 10, 2022, 01:08 AM   #13
hammie

@ninosdemente: Midwayusa.com shows the decapping rod and tungsten carbide expander to be in stock. Midway's item number for the 6.5 version is 245335. If you type that number in their search box, your screen should go directly to the rod and expander assembly. It doesn't say so, but the lyman rod assembly has always included an adapter for RCBS dies. They're currently priced at 35.49 $.

Last edited by hammie; August 10, 2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old August 10, 2022, 03:06 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you bent the pin, find a drill bit that closely matches the diameter and Dremel off the shank.
as a makeshift temporary pin, ok, but drill bits are notoriously hard/brittle, and unlike a proper decapping pin, they tend to break, not bend.

Quote:
Midwayusa.com shows the decapping rod and tungsten carbide expander to be in stock.
I would contact RCBS before I spent any money with Midway, or anyone else. RCBS has a long history of good customer support and often supplying replacement parts at little or no charge.

They might have ended that practice, I don't know, but I think it's well worth finding out before you buy from a retailer.
Old August 10, 2022, 07:07 PM   #15
Unkl Chuck

If you're already using a decapping die setup, remove the pin from the expander. You don't need it and it only gets in the way and can lead to problems. The expander only needs to clear the case neck slightly to do it's job, you should make that adjustment early in the initial setup of your die.
If you have bent the stem, definitely contact RCBS first, they are good folks and stand behind their products.
Good luck.
Old August 16, 2022, 09:31 PM   #16
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the reply.

Unkl Chuck.... sure was thinking of doing what you mentioned but was not sure if I should do so or not. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old August 19, 2022, 12:09 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Another vote for separating Decapping and Sizing.
The Lee Universal Decapper is inexpensive and works great, never touching the brass (just the spent primer).
I also have the Frankfort Arsenal hand decapper, which is very handy when decapping a 1000 or more range brass. This also makes them easier to clean after depriving. Then, only clean brass goes into the resizing die.
Old August 25, 2022, 08:42 PM   #18
ninosdemente

I did end up calling RCBS, first time calling and customer service was excellent. No hassle, questions, just how can we help and they sure did. They are sending the stem plus two pins. I was expecting to pay, so I asked what the fee was. They said no fee and enjoy reloading. Just waiting for the package to arrive. Thanks everyone for suggestion to call RCBS.
Old August 26, 2022, 11:15 AM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

RCBS has been doing business that way since I started reloading in the 70s, and probably has been since the company's Day One decades before that. Good to hear they still are.
Old September 1, 2022, 07:31 PM   #20
langenc

Might take several days for delivery of replacement parts but it will come..