The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 6, 2022, 11:15 AM   #1
wmw

Taurus Model 80

I have been checking in on a few forums to find some details about my Model 80 Taurus. The serial number is 1338018 and according to the tips on how to determine possible years it was made given by a gentleman who worked for Taurus it looks like it was made between 1978 and before May 1980. It has the Taurus word in big letters and Brasil in small letters for the logo produced between 1973-1981, non-grooved flutes for 1978 forward, and hammer-mounted firing pin used on the .38 Special up to May 1980. I don't think there is a serial number chart on these older models we can get the exact date per everything I read?

Gun has 38 Special on one side of barrel, FORJAS Taurus S.A.-Palegre-RS-BRASIL on the other side of the 4" barrel. It has W 185 on the crane (which I don't know what that means) and W 80 on the frame. On same side as serial number 1338018 below the cylinder is INT. DIST. INC. MIAMI FLA.

I have some winchester 38 spl. +P 125gr JHP ammo but I was told not to shoot +P in this gun. Any comment on this and the exact date of make on this gun and what that W 185 means will be appreciated. Thanks
Old February 6, 2022, 03:02 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Why not just trade your Plus P ammunition for regular .38 Special?
Plus P offers no great advantage over regular ammunition.
Old February 6, 2022, 10:18 PM   #3
wmw

Thanks. My son said he could use the +P in his new model 38 Special. I also found out the person we were getting so much good info from on these Taurus did not actually work for Taurus but was given some valuable information through the mail from the company that has helped in tracking down what years of manufacture some of the serial numbers matched. Thanks again for the reply.
Old February 7, 2022, 09:22 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

Those are manufacturing part numbers. I just picked up a S&W 686 made in January of this year. Same kinda deal.

Your Taurus logo is their third logo.

You have a hammer block instead of a transfer bar given the date? If you do not see the hammer block, your particular model (which is likely), there is a Taurus created warning about this 80 being able to fire at a drop of 3 feet.

Defiantly not +P rated.

I think you are right, in that time period, there is no way to find a "bible" on what you have.