The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 2, 2022, 03:12 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Scope For AR 10

SO, I am working on an AR 10 build. I do not need help with that. However, I am having trouble deciding what direction to go for optics. Generally speaking, for my AR style rifles I prefer to keep low magnification or no magnification optics on board. The idea is that if I ever have to shoot and move in a bad situation, I do not want to have to manipulate a complicated and heavy optic. Lightweight, durability and target acquisition are my top priorities.

This build is a bit different. With a 5.56, I am not concerned with engaging human sized targets past 300 meters. It seems the AR 10 would be wasted if relegated to those distances. The increased weight of the platform, has me less concerned with the weight of the optic, while still concerned with optical clarity and reliability. To be honest, I am considering another Leupold VX5 HD, as it has great glass, great dependability, and Leupold is a great company. It is also lightweight for what you get. I have several 3-15 power ones now and they are excellent for the price.

I am here to get ideas for optics in the upper midrange, that would be appropriate for a dual duty optic. Capable of precise long range shooting, low enough magnification to be used in relatively close quarters, A reticle I can use for wind, and an exposed dial for elevation with zero lock. Budget is in the $700-$1,000 range. ANother thing that is important to me is eye relief. I do not need long eye relief, but I cannot stand scopes with a significant difference in eye relief from the bottom to the top of the magnification range. One example of this is my Leupold Mark 3HD, 4-12x. From the 4x-12x there is almost a full inch difference between the length of the eye relief. When compared to the VX5 HD, there is no noticeable difference in eye relief when properly mounted.

What are your favorites for this type of use? All input is appreciated.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 2, 2022, 04:30 PM   #2
MarkCO

I have had a Burris XTRII 1-8 on my .308 pattern ARs since they came out.

While I can't match my group size shooting with a 3-15 past 600 yards, it is pretty sporty from 1-600 yards. I have set my zero at 200 yards, so top of plate at 300 yards is a hit on a 10 to 12 inch plate. Past 300, I typically dial. I have timed both, and in a 3Gun match shooting heavy, I can get hits on 3 MOA targets at a clip of about 1 every 4 seconds. Holding, I can shoot a little faster, but my miss rate goes up.

Mil/Mil, mil reticle, durable and repeatable. I think it is probably the best bet for a .308 AR out to about 600 yards or so. It spars well with the Leupold Mark 8, which is $3K+ for about 1/3rd the price.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...lescope-1-8x24
Old August 2, 2022, 07:07 PM   #3
stagpanther

I have a dozen or so AR10 builds and I started out with the same dilemma with them all. However, reality eventually reared its ugly head and I realized that while I get very good results with them--none of them were benchrest match grade. So after a few years of going through ring contortions to accommodate high power scopes on the limited real estate of the upper's rail; I've settled on fixed power prism scopes as my choice for most AR applications. I can shoot well with Burris's 3x RT3 out to 400 yds +/-; and it is wonderfully light weight and quick. I suspect a high quality fixed mag optic of around 7 to 10x would be more than enough to cover you from 50 yds to 800+.
Old August 2, 2022, 07:42 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I can shoot well with Burris's 3x RT3 out to 400 yds +/-; and it is wonderfully light weight and quick.
I recently discovered the joys of a decent prism on on ARs. I have the same RT3 3x, and also have experience with Primary arms prisms too. They are an excellent choice for me.
Old August 3, 2022, 09:24 AM   #5
ocharry

i have a straight 6x on my AR10..seems to do everything i ask it to out to 400 0r so...i could probably push that out a few if needed

looks kinda dinky on the 10 platform but it works well for me

ocharry
Old August 3, 2022, 10:32 AM   #6
zeke

I have a 1x6 SWFA on a 16 in Rock River. Would prefer a 1x8, especially if first focal plane, mil/mil and lighted. While i like the SWFA, the vertical turret adj is to fine/close for my ham handed quick adj. The glass is average, but like the reticle for up close to my ranges limit (600 yds) An 8x would encourage greater accuracy at 600 yds.
Old August 3, 2022, 01:19 PM   #7
kilotanker22

I have also considered a Trijicon Acog. I used one for a year or so in the Army and found it to be an excellent optic.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old August 3, 2022, 10:53 PM   #8
Piranha451

I have a TRACT Optics Response 4-16x42 on my PTR91 and am very happy with it. The cost is $474.00. It is a solid scope.

https://tractoptics.com/all-products...ar-rifle-scope
Old August 4, 2022, 12:25 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
I have also considered a Trijicon Acog. I used one for a year or so in the Army and found it to be an excellent optic.
I've used several Trijicon accupoint scopes and they are superb--forgot about that.
Old August 4, 2022, 10:06 AM   #10
kilotanker22

Interesting, thanks. I am not sure there is enough internal adjustment for me on that scope. They list internal adjustment of 44 MOA. By the time I sight that in on top of the AR 10 rifle, I won't have the available adjustment to dial for elevation adjustments. I would likely have to rely on the reticle for for that. Since it is a BDC reticle, I would have to figure out what their sub tensions are. Although, that looks to be nearly what I am looking for.
– St. Augustine
Old August 4, 2022, 11:13 AM   #11
veprdude

A 5x ACOG is bolt on. BDC for 308 already in there. I bought one planning an AR-10 build but then the rifles got stupid expensive.
Old August 4, 2022, 04:53 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

I second the suggestion for the 5X ACOG.
Old August 4, 2022, 05:47 PM   #13
MarkCO

Quote:
I am here to get ideas for optics in the upper midrange, that would be appropriate for a dual duty optic. Capable of precise long range shooting, low enough magnification to be used in relatively close quarters,
Apparently several failed to read the above phrase or have never used 5x close up. Even 3x is a handicap close in. A true 1x at the bottom is the best bet. Yes, one can shoot the dot on the ACOG and or Occluded/Bindon/Overlay, but you lose so much, especially in an HD/SD situation, as opposed to an offensive military engagement, that target ID becomes a problem.
Old August 5, 2022, 08:36 AM   #14
GeauxTide

I have 1x4 Leupold on a 450 Bushmaster and a 300 HAM'R. I have a 1x6 Vortex on a 308.
Old August 5, 2022, 03:10 PM   #15
bamaranger

..wasted .308 & shoot and move

I'm thinking that the circumstances for needing 12-15x worth of magnification on some type of fighting or patrol rifle are extremely limited, and a 1-6x or 1-8x is about all one needs for such a thing. Most all AR10/7.62mm rifles I've handled have been too dang heavy to suit and big glass just adds to the problem. But, .......your rifle, .........put on it what you want.
Old August 8, 2022, 10:45 AM   #16
kilotanker22

I agree with pretty much all of that.
– St. Augustine
Old August 8, 2022, 02:11 PM   #17
kilotanker22

I will have to do some looking. I have owned the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6, and 1-8x optics. They were ok, but it seemed as though the quality of glass was not great. The issue was that it seemed almost like tunnel vision when looking through it. I was able to shoot well with them, but really did not like them that much. Of course, both of them were the first generation. I am not sure if the newer generations are better or not.

A LPVO is really what I am looking for. 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x, 1-10x. Maybe I will look at Athlon. I have heard pretty good things about some of their higher end lines.
– St. Augustine
Old August 8, 2022, 08:49 PM   #18
MarkCO

Strike Eagles are bargain basement optics. They replace a lot of them.

Athlon, Burris are both much better choices in a LPVO in the price range you are looking at. Or bump up to a higher price level in the Vortex.
Old August 9, 2022, 12:10 PM   #19
Metal god

I just put a 3x micro prism scope on my 308 . I like it so far but haven’t shot it a lot .

Primary arms , light and compact .

Rex review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSSBjSmVAo

Out of stock right now but should be in soon .
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...8-reticle-yard

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 9, 2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 9, 2022, 12:30 PM   #20
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I just put a 3x micro prism scope on my 308 . I like it so far but haven’t shot it a lot .

Primary arms , light and compact .

Rex review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlSSBjSmVAo

Out of stock right now but should be in soon .
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...8-reticle-yard
I will watch that review, I like Rex.
– St. Augustine
Old August 10, 2022, 10:10 AM   #21
veprdude

Dot and magnifier?
Old August 17, 2022, 04:32 PM   #22
kilotanker22

The AThlon Ares ETR 1-10x looks like it might fit the bill I am looking for
– St. Augustine
Old August 19, 2022, 06:07 AM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
The AThlon Ares ETR 1-10x looks like it might fit the bill I am looking for
Looks like an upper-tier optic, look forward to your report.
Old August 20, 2022, 04:12 PM   #24
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Looks like an upper-tier optic, look forward to your report.
have not decided for sure yet. I am planning to order something this week though. I will report back
– St. Augustine
Old August 26, 2022, 10:14 AM   #25
kilotanker22

Since I have a Leupold VX5HD without a rifle to call home, I decided to mount that scope for now.
– St. Augustine