The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 5, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1
BlindMansBluff

Introduction and report on my "new" to me Taurus M85

Hi let me first start off by telling you that my screen name suits me well. I am in fact a totally blind gun owner/target shooter. I just bought a 80's era Taurus M85 .38 snub which operates beautifully! at my blog I posted a pic on there in full view if you wanted to see it.

I would just like to take a moment to introduce myself and say hey.

I attend a local range for the most part where I get allot of welcoming and respect as I should. but I don't get that everywhere due to the leetest opinions I get from some people in the gun sport, as well as my own field Information Technology. I am a Technology Consultant.

I think I am now rambling on but feel free to browse my profile and to pm me or IM me to ask any questions. I'll be posting more thoughts, opinions and experiences at the range and some pics of the targets I have shot up.

BTW at the range I have a spotter, a awsome dude that can't be thanked enough for his time and patients when working with me. and incase you are wondering he doesn't point it for me or anything like that, he gives me an idea where I am aiming and once I get my first successful hit in a good spot in the center mass my following four shots are usually near by.

Thanks for reading.

Gabe Vega

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 6, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
AA080

Welcome, it is pretty inspiring to read how you still get out to shoot while being blind. Have you ever thought of using laser sights to help your spotter with aiming? I don't know how you do it currently, if he looks over your shoulder or not? I would think a laser would be an excellent option.

Out of curiosity, being in IT myself, do you use a text to speech program on your computer?
Old May 6, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
BlindMansBluff

question: Do they make laser sighting devices for revolvers? (excuse my spelling please)

and two: yes depending on whether I am using Windows or my Macbook, on Windows I use JAWS (Job Access with Speech) or the Mac I use its Builtin screen reader called Voiceover.

Both products read the screen, and no I "Don't" talk to my computer.

I also have a little Davis D22LR darrenger Over/Under but I need a righht side grip plate for it, when I bought it for some reason the grip was missing. but beyond that the unit seems to be working well.

also yes, about my spotter and his tracking of my aim actually I am not sure how he does it, I guess he just watches my stance and the barrel of my tarus. I thought they only made lasers for Cemi's.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 6, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Daryl

Hi Gabe,

As a note, they do make lazer grips for revolvers. My daily carry revolver (a j-frame Smith & Wesson) is equipped with them.

On the derringer grip panel, I have a little .22 mag Davis derringer somewhere around here that's broken. I don't know if they're the same grips as your's, but I'd be happy to send them to you. If you want them, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail to you. They're in great shape, with no wear on the finish.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Daryl
Old May 27, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I found another post by you. You have inspired me with your desire to shoot that I'm looking up your threads to see what you are up to.
Good luck to you, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Tags
blind , blog , range , taurus