The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2021, 01:40 AM   #26
ftttu

We purchased our own pistols, and out of the 9 total duty pistols I carried most have been compacts. A compact fits my hands better, and my first thinking when I went to my first one, a Glock 19 gen 2, going from a Glock 17 gen 2, I wanted something I could carry on and off duty.

Since I've retired, my old agency went back to 9mm after having gone .40 in the early to mid '90s. I'm presuming all Glock pistols are still personally owned like during my time, but I don't know if there is a model mandate. The only .40 Glock model we couldn't carry during my time as a duty weapon was a Glock 27 - a little too compact.

A buddy of mine in a local sheriff's office here in the Texas Hill Country tells me that they are issued Glock 19s(unknown gen). The next county over issues SIG P320s, but I don't know which frame. So, not uncommon for compacts to be popular out there in the LE community.
Old May 8, 2021, 04:32 PM   #27
Desmosedici

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
My former outfit, the USNPS, went that way, at least partially, almost 20 years ago. SIG was the authorized manufacturer, and everybody got a P228 to start (prior that, it was a mix of 'Smith K and L revolvers). Once the transition had occurred, and the SIGs were universal, there were choices available for both field and trainees. The P229 .40 had hit the scene and it was an option, as well as the P226 in both .40 and 9mm, and the P220 in .45. One could also simply stay with the P228/9mm. Sounds complex, but it came off well. Their were about 1200 or so sworn rangers at the time, nationwide......I think.

About half of the gang, as near as I could tell, went with the P229/.40. Of the remaining half, perhaps one quarter, selected the P220/.45. The remaining 25% kept the P228. These are just estimates, and do not account for the occassional P226/9mm or P226/.40 when it became available, but neither of the latter pair seemed as popular as their mid-size brethren. I was a P220/.45 guy.

All that is in the past. The new issue pistol for all is the modular/poly SIG 320. One more reason to have retired when I did.
Interesting, Bamaranger. You'd feel less confident with a P320?
Old May 9, 2021, 12:26 PM   #28
ScottOh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
"Compact" might be a bit misleading.

I think "mid-sized" might be better, something

between "full" and "compact."

Examples are Colt Commander sized, Beretta'

Centurion, Glock 19.

I think these have always been the best option. I think LE and Military are warming up to them recently because the old guard who believed only in “service sized pistols” are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 9, 2021, 02:03 PM   #29
Metric

It seems to me there were plenty of small service guns in 32acp in Europe, over the last century. Also things like the Makarov were very popular for service.

America seemed to resist this trend to some extent, but with modern advances in materials and design, it seems to me there isn't much of a point in demanding a full sized pistol anymore.