The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2021, 08:53 PM   #26
LAH

Nice combat group for sure.
Old April 1, 2021, 07:40 AM   #27
JustJake

Where's that Garand?
Old April 1, 2021, 09:48 AM   #28
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
In 2009 I was offered a M1A for $800. Damn good price even back then. I had been out of work for more a year. I had the money, but I just couldn't.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
An "M1A" was the civilian version of the M14... not a WWII ear rifle. There were no "M1A" used in the "Combat" TV series.
Old April 1, 2021, 05:33 PM   #29
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
An "M1A" was the civilian version of the M14... not a WWII ear rifle. There were no "M1A" used in the "Combat" TV series.

I’m pretty sure he meant M1A1

Old April 23, 2021, 01:10 PM   #30
Bentonville

My son, then 12 , and I had the pleasure of spending the better part of a day with Roland Benson, aka Jack Hogan , aka Kirby on Combat.
A member of our Christian Fellowship happens to be Kirby’s cousin and he arranged the meeting although Roland was somewhat of a recluse who was caring for his older brother at the time .
We were invited to his home in Chapel Hill. He talked a lot about Combat and the cast . I won’t go into all the details of that beautiful day but I will share that “Hills are for Heroes” was one of Kirby’s favorite shows. His line about “...I don’t even know his name...” was an improvised line that everyone on the show was really moved by .Roland ( Kirby) was emotional when he shared the details with us . One of his favorite guest stars was Lee Marvin. Because Lee Marvin had experienced combat in WWII, all the cast tried to emulate him in various ways.
Caje was said to be very athletic. He ran everywhere and was very fast . The cameras had trouble keeping up with him . He could fire the M1, with blanks, amazingly fast .
The cast members had great respect for each other and remained friends after the show was discontinued .
We have a framed photo of my son and Roland holding a prized tomato that he gave to us . He even paid for our dinner . I love Kirby in Combat.
Old April 23, 2021, 02:20 PM   #31
LAH

Great story Bentonville.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:29 PM   #32
Ignition Override

Combat was first broadcast when I was about 8 years old; my favorite tv show.

Classic12: Very cool collection you have, and in such nice condition.

While staying in Luzern about four years ago, my wife and I saw a sporting goods store a few blocks north of the Vierwaldstattersee (huge lake "in town"....for the other readers here).

I saw a Romanian WASR 10 or 10/63, an AR and a few other interesting rifles which I can't remember, behind the counter. It was only a quick glance (Blick), then we left.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 14, 2021 at 11:41 PM.