The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How would you rate the Ruger 57 as a concealed carry weapon?
1 13 27.66%
2 10 21.28%
3 9 19.15%
4 4 8.51%
5 6 12.77%
6 1 2.13%
7 1 2.13%
8 1 2.13%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 17, 2021, 07:43 PM   #1
ATN082268

Ruger 57 as concealed carry weapon

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, how would you rate, in general, the Ruger 57 handgun as a concealed carry weapon?
Old March 17, 2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Way too big to carry in a variety of climates and clothing
Old March 17, 2021, 08:11 PM   #3
ballardw

But more appropriate if your concern is hordes.
Old March 17, 2021, 08:37 PM   #4
dakota.potts

I'm not sure a rating of 1 to 10 is appropriate.

I don't think it's too big to carry if you're willing to commit to carrying IWB with a good holster/belt and dressing around it.

I'm not as enthralled with the 5.7 as a defensive round as some of its adherents but I don't think it's the worst in the world either. It's certainly an option for recoil sensitive people. Ammo is insane right now (you can get it in GunBroker if you're willing to pay $2 a round).

One thing that gives me big hesitation is that, last I heard, Ruger doesn't recommend carrying with a loaded chamber due to lack of a firing pin safety. Now whether you believe that safety is necessary or not, carrying a gun that the manufacturer states you shouldn't carry chambered is a big red flag for me. That situation may have changed since I last looked into it.

Are you looking specifically to carry something in the 5.7mm round? That's the only reason I can think to land on this specific model for concealed carry.
Old March 17, 2021, 10:55 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

As a concealed carry weapon, 1. It can be done, but not without significant effort or a man purse.
Old March 18, 2021, 01:25 AM   #6
eflyguy

If you want to go squirrel hunting on horseback, fine. Otherwise, move along.
Old March 18, 2021, 05:24 AM   #7
peacefulgary

Too big and bulky for me.
I've been down the big and bulky CC road before...Glock 22, Ruger GP100, CZ 75B...I've learned that sometimes smaller is better when it comes to CC.
Old March 18, 2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Jack19

I seem to remember a rust issues concern with the 57, but don't recall the details. If you do carry it, keep it well oiled.
Old March 19, 2021, 09:28 AM   #9
Desmosedici

Can't imagine wanting to carry the 5.7 for any sort of self-defense role, unless I worked on a ranch or something similar, in which case I wouldn't likely need to conceal it. Bigger pistol to conceal, too. I'm sure it could be done, though, especially for a larger than average person.

That said, I have rented the FN and it's a fun, fun gun to shoot. Nearly nonexistent recoil and you can dump the contents of its 20 round mag in a few heartbeats, accurately. I'd love to have one. I have read that the Ruger is an improvement in grip vis a vis the 5.7, and it certainly is a more appealing looking weapon, aesthetically.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this pistol and why you'd desire to conceal it.
Old March 19, 2021, 07:18 PM   #10
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Can't imagine wanting to carry the 5.7 for any sort of self-defense role, unless I worked on a ranch or something similar, in which case I wouldn't likely need to conceal it. Bigger pistol to conceal, too. I'm sure it could be done, though, especially for a larger than average person.

That said, I have rented the FN and it's a fun, fun gun to shoot. Nearly nonexistent recoil and you can dump the contents of its 20 round mag in a few heartbeats, accurately. I'd love to have one. I have read that the Ruger is an improvement in grip vis a vis the 5.7, and it certainly is a more appealing looking weapon, aesthetically.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this pistol and why you'd desire to conceal it.
The Ruger 57 appeals to me primarily due to it's small, high velocity rounds and to a lesser degree its high magazine capacity and low recoil.
Old March 19, 2021, 07:50 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

the rounds are small in diameter but long. they fit more in a magazine due to this, however the grip is longer due to it. It is without a doubt a full sized / duty sized handgun. High velocity it good, but you gotta have the penetration too. if you cant get that 12-16in you may nit hit vitals. Low recoil is always good.

can you carry it, yes, it is ideal or even good for that purpose, not even close.
Old March 19, 2021, 08:05 PM   #12
dakota.potts

Could always look into the .22 TCM and its 9R variant. I think the RIA 1911 is the only factory semi auto available right now that chambers the full length .22 TCM, while the slightly slower 9R variant can be fired out of a standard 9mm magazine such as Glock or CZ pattern mags. And if you have a Glock, you should be able to find a barrel and recoil spring assembly for something like $150-250 if I'm remembering correctly to try it out and see if you like it. The TCM is using the same weight bullets as the 5.7X28 but actually edges it out in terms of velocity. It's essentially a mini .223 case, or very close to a 9mm case necked down to .22. Ammo is a single-supplier proposition as far as I know - all available ammo being supplied through Armscor.

I'm very interested in the high velocity bottleneck pistol cartridges myself, but I think they currently suffer for lack of good systems to run them through for practical purposes. I'd love to see 6.5X25mm CBJ barrels and ammunition imported to convert a number of factory 9mm guns here but I'm very certain that's nothing but a pipe dream.
Old March 22, 2021, 10:43 AM   #13
Forte S+W

I don't own one so I really can't rate it, (although I'm sure that hasn't stopped the majority of others from doing so) but I think you could do a lot worse. It's big, but it's also rather thin, and it holds a lot of rounds in the magazine.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the 5.7x28 FN cartridge. It was designed as a potential replacement for the 9mm Luger, with a heavy emphasis on armor-piercing and the versatility to serve not only as a pistol cartridge but also as a PDW cartridge. Unfortunately, due to it being contested by the German delegation, it was never adopted by NATO forces. Furthermore, its once impressive armor-piercing capabilities have diminished, as it seems like body armor has since been designed to stop 5.7x28 FN.
Proponents of the theory of Hydrostatic Shock often state that projectiles travelling at over 2500fps are capable of generating remote wounding effects, but if such is indeed the case, then it's not visible in Ballistics Gel with 5.7x28.

So yeah, it wouldn't be my choice for a CCW, and its advantages are of dubious viability in such a role, but you could do worse.

The most important facet of self-defense is confidence, because if what you're carrying doesn't make you feel confident, then you're more likely to hesitate or even panic in a self-defense situation. So if carrying a Ruger-57 make you feel more confident than carrying something more conventional, then by all means carry it.
Personally, I trust .40 S&W, although the prevailing sentiment right now is that it offers no substantial ballistic advantage over 9mm Luger and that carrying it is entirely detrimental because everyone shoots 9mm faster and more accurately.

There is no such thing as the ideal one-size-fits-all platform for self-defense, so the best anyone can do is to choose what they feel most confident with, train until they've become proficient with it, and carry it with the knowledge that in the event in which they need it, then they'll be far better prepared than the guy who is constantly swapping out their carry gun in accordance with the latest trends in pursuit of the illusive ideal carry gun.
Old March 22, 2021, 07:37 PM   #14
jr24

Gave it a 5.

Bigger than I generally prefer for a CCW but doable, and the 5.7 is awful loud for a potentially close and enclosed gun. Even when things were good ammo was a bit harder to find.

But it's light, the round is effective and a 20 round mag ain't bad.
Old March 23, 2021, 01:29 PM   #15
GE-Minigun

Not too big to carry…I know a guy that’s 6’ and maybe 150…rail thin is an understatement…he conceals a P226 all the time…the 57 would be a piece of cake for him. I would be worried about over penetration…so a 3
Old March 23, 2021, 01:41 PM   #16
Siggy-06

I used to CC a Ruger P95 iwb back when I started carrying 12+ years ago, and I have a 33 waist, so it’s doable. However now I either pocket carry a LCP or wear a larger compact owb using a slide or pancake holster, much more comfortable. If I had to CC a 57, I’d opt for a high riding pancake holster or a shoulder holster, both with an overshirt.
Old March 23, 2021, 05:35 PM   #17
JJ45

"small, high velocity rounds, low recoil, high mag capacity"...seems direct opposite of the standard 1911 .45. I am not at all familiar with the 57, if striker fired or DA ?, but one thing it might have in common with a FS 1911 is size but I'll bet not weight.

Then you got bulk mentioned. I wouldn't consider the 1911 bulky despite it's size, I carry a FS 1911 often even though I prefer a Commander or Mak, so why not tote a 57?
Old March 23, 2021, 08:35 PM   #18
Alan0354

How common is the ammo? what is so great about this ammo that the normal more popular 9mm, .40, 10mm and 45ACP cannot measure up that one has to buy something like this?

as for CC, Are you serious? I would vote 0 if that's an option. When comes to CC, I won't even consider anything bigger than LCR, Walther PPK. I don't go out to protect the gun, How can you enjoy carrying something like this? Be it you have the best holster, still it's a piece of rock either at your back or your stomach. How can you enjoy anything when you cannot even sit comfortably? You really have to ask yourself whether you are protecting the gun or the gun protecting you? If it doesn't fit in my pants pocket or the jacket pocket, it ain't a CC gun for me. I believe in living and enjoying life.

Of cause, in this political climate, if you go to some place that you expect trouble, it's a different story. But I still have my Glock 26 9mm that is small enough to hide somewhere in the jacket pocket so I can hold the jacket in my hand if it's too hot. A 5" barrel? You serious?
Old March 23, 2021, 09:19 PM   #19
amd6547

In the past I’ve carried both the 1911 and Browning HiPower IWB comfortably. These days it’s a G26.
But if I want to go bottlenecked, I grab the Tokarev and a few mags of 7.62x25.
Old March 23, 2021, 10:15 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354
If it doesn't fit in my pants pocket or the jacket pocket, it ain't a CC gun for me. I believe in living and enjoying life.
I carry a compact Glock 19 sized pistol most of the time. I feel like I enjoy life.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 24, 2021, 04:57 AM   #21
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
I don't own one so I really can't rate it, (although I'm sure that hasn't stopped the majority of others from doing so) but I think you could do a lot worse. It's big, but it's also rather thin, and it holds a lot of rounds in the magazine.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the 5.7x28 FN cartridge. It was designed as a potential replacement for the 9mm Luger, with a heavy emphasis on armor-piercing and the versatility to serve not only as a pistol cartridge but also as a PDW cartridge. Unfortunately, due to it being contested by the German delegation, it was never adopted by NATO forces. Furthermore, its once impressive armor-piercing capabilities have diminished, as it seems like body armor has since been designed to stop 5.7x28 FN.
Proponents of the theory of Hydrostatic Shock often state that projectiles travelling at over 2500fps are capable of generating remote wounding effects, but if such is indeed the case, then it's not visible in Ballistics Gel with 5.7x28.

So yeah, it wouldn't be my choice for a CCW, and its advantages are of dubious viability in such a role, but you could do worse.

The most important facet of self-defense is confidence, because if what you're carrying doesn't make you feel confident, then you're more likely to hesitate or even panic in a self-defense situation. So if carrying a Ruger-57 make you feel more confident than carrying something more conventional, then by all means carry it.
Personally, I trust .40 S&W, although the prevailing sentiment right now is that it offers no substantial ballistic advantage over 9mm Luger and that carrying it is entirely detrimental because everyone shoots 9mm faster and more accurately.

There is no such thing as the ideal one-size-fits-all platform for self-defense, so the best anyone can do is to choose what they feel most confident with, train until they've become proficient with it, and carry it with the knowledge that in the event in which they need it, then they'll be far better prepared than the guy who is constantly swapping out their carry gun in accordance with the latest trends in pursuit of the illusive ideal carry gun.
I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case. I think if they made specific mags for it instead of using .38 Super mags it could probably function at full capacity. It’s been very reliable as long as you limit it to eight rounds as I recall. Other than the weight of an all steel gun it would be ok for CC size wise.
Old March 24, 2021, 10:41 AM   #22
rwagliardo

Ammo has gone up to $70 to$100 for 50 rounds.
Old March 24, 2021, 10:55 AM   #23
ss1/G8RFAN

I gave it a 5 due to size. A buddy of mine conceals the FN so it's doable and it's an enviable amount of firepower. A quick search shows some holsters available for concealment for the 57 so apparently there's a demand...
Old March 24, 2021, 12:01 PM   #24
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I have an RIA model 1911 with the .22 TCM conversion. It’s a blast, literally. You get both a powerful round with very little recoil and as a bonus makes a nice short range flame thrower. The only issue with it is you can’t load the mag to full capacity due to the taper of the case. I think if they made specific mags for it instead of using .38 Super mags it could probably function at full capacity. It’s been very reliable as long as you limit it to eight rounds as I recall. Other than the weight of an all steel gun it would be ok for CC size wise.
The later double-stack TCM factory mags are made for it though I haven't had any issues with the Paraordnance 38 super, which were about half the price of factor mags when I bought them.

Of course the obvious question to add to this thread would be the supposedly-soon-to-be released Kel-Tec P50 https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p50/ that apparently uses the P90 rifle mags to give you 50 rounds. If ammo prices were better that might become my preferred zombie pistol.
Old March 24, 2021, 12:34 PM   #25
T. O'Heir

The Ruger 57 is close to the same size as a 1911A1. Concealing it(or a GP100 or like size revolver) is more about the holster. A 1911A1 can be made to disappear entirely with the right holster.
However, the cost and relative availability of the 5.7 ammo/brass is an issue. And it's a .224", 40 grain, varmint bullet. FN loads it with a V-Max. Midway wants $51.99 for 50. Not that they have any.
"...awful loud..." So is any hand gun cartridge. A .22 LR can permanently damage your hearing with 1 shot.