The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 11, 2021, 03:23 PM   #26
ligonierbill

If by unpretentious you mean "scruffy" or "run hard and put away wet", here is my example. It's a Colt Army Special in .41 Long Colt made in 1920. Someone cleaned off a lot of rust and doused her in cold blue, but she's still ugly. But timing is on, and the bore isn't bad at all. Came cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AS 41 6.jpg (39.8 KB, 162 views)
Old January 11, 2021, 06:12 PM   #27
bamaranger

Rugers

I bought a Ruger Bearcat, an early one, from a woman at church, it had belonged to her Dad. Early pistol, they had it in Alaska when they homesteaded for a few years....and it looks it. The cylinder base pin was lost and the Dad fashioned a new one from......a Phillips screw driver shaft!!!!!
I bought a new pin and carry the little shooter frequently in my big wool pants pocket.

After watching "Tombstone", I just had to have a single action. "Bubba's Pawn Shop" (honest, now closed) had a very worn, blued, Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8" in .357. Somebody had re-varnished the grips..by coating the panels and the metal backstraps as well......apparently never took them off the gun. Bluing was thin and worn as well, lots of character, but mechanically sound, and the bore/cylinders looked good. Cleaned up the grips, still have the gun.
Old January 11, 2021, 07:03 PM   #28
Kreyzhorse

All of mine are unpretentious.... but my beaters are a Colt New Frontier and a Colt Agent.

Sure they are Colts, but they've been used well and will continue to be shot. Great fun old shooters.
Old January 11, 2021, 08:46 PM   #29
kymasabe

My S&W SD9. The Honda Civic of handguns, does everything pretty well, does nothing exceptional well.
Ugly, but reliable as all hell. I'll probably never get rid of it.
Old January 11, 2021, 11:01 PM   #30
Sanch

All of my handguns are deferential, respectful, and exhibit proper decorum ;-)
Old January 15, 2021, 05:44 PM   #31
tdrizzle

Handgun

The Gen 2 G19 I got at a show more than 10 years ago. I replaced the sights, and put a factory guide rod in to replace the laser guide rod that was in there, dead. Got a couple bucks for that, too.

No finger grooves or rail, no idea who had it before me, but it sure shoots well for me. First among my Glocks, even the newer ones.
Old January 15, 2021, 06:37 PM   #32
1911_Hardball

That would be my Smith & Wesson Model 28 with a crappy aftermarket nickel finish. It's a pleasure to shoot ugly duckling.
Old January 15, 2021, 06:59 PM   #33
Mike38

For handgun, my Taurus Model 83. It's not pretty, holster worn bluing, an ample supply of rust pimples, but it's accurate and reliable. For rifles, an old Remington bolt action model 510. Bluing is totally gone, it's now brown. But the bore is perfect and as accurate as any other newer .22 rifle I own.
Old January 15, 2021, 08:30 PM   #34
Tad_T

NAA 22M w/ 1 5/8” barrel.
Old January 16, 2021, 12:22 AM   #35
HiBC

RIA 1911 frame. Remington GI slide. Original Parkerize ; VN vintage chrome bore GI bbl.
Trijicon tritium front sight,GI type U-notch rear. Cyl and Slide duty/carry trigger set The rest of the small parts,various quality parts.

Just a parts bucket generic franken 1911. Feeds empty brass from the mag and goes bang every time.

Last edited by HiBC; January 19, 2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old January 16, 2021, 04:46 AM   #36
Sevens

I have a Feg GKK-45 that is far more than the sum of it’s parts and it shoots irrationally well. It’s a good looking pistol also. The double action trigger pull is very rough but the single action isn’t bad at all. I wish the sights were a little bigger, but it will outshoot most “duty” type pistols in a bullseye shoot-off.

I’ve had it probably 4-5 years, I think I paid around $300 for it?
Old January 16, 2021, 11:16 PM   #37
JC57

Probably my old S&W Model 10-7, 4" pencil barrel blue steel revolver. I bought it new in 1979. Just a basic 6-shooter.
Old January 17, 2021, 06:48 PM   #38
ms6852

All my guns are unpretentious . When Garth Brooks wrote his song "friends in low places" it was about me.
Old January 19, 2021, 08:38 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

I don't but, nor am I impressed by pretentious, "look at me" anything!
Especially firearms.
But I think CajunBass nailed it. Nothing says not pretentious more than a Rough Rider. I have two of them.
close runner ups in my "accumulation" are my EDC BUG LCP, and a KelTec P32
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2021, 09:03 PM   #40
Ingramite

This is what 67 years of pocket wear looks like

1953 S&W Chief Special Hammerless.
1st year for that model. Affectionately known as The Lemon Squeezer for the grip safety.

This revolver has a beautiful blue finish that has all soaked into the steel, leaving a nice soft gray.

This one is a low 4 digit serial number with the matching high horn factory grips that are numbered to the gun.

She doesn't make a big to-do over it all. Everyday she just dives into my pocket like she has done for the past 67 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210109_111832_resized_1 (2).jpg (561.3 KB, 101 views)
Old January 20, 2021, 11:30 AM   #41
aarondhgraham

That would be "Libby",,,

That would be "Libby",,,

Plain Jane - No Frills,,,
3" S&W Model 36.

In a moment of weakness I offered to sell Libby to a good friend,,,
No one was more happy then I when my friend replied,,,
"I really want something prettier."

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 20, 2021, 11:38 AM   #42
Carl the Floor Walker

Midland BackPack shotgun. Single shot, very well build, even drilled for chokes. Actually have two of them. One a 18" and the other a 22" 12 ga. which came with a Turkey choke and scope mount. Also have a 20ga insert and 9mm and 22.cal insert.

Excellent build quality for $150.00.

Old January 20, 2021, 12:16 PM   #43
natman

Charter Arms Target Bulldog in 44 Special. It's my trail gun. Light, powerful and compact. It would fit the category even better with what was left of the original finish, but I redid it in GunKote.

I wanted an S&W 329PD, but it would have been over $1000 more.
Old January 21, 2021, 08:48 AM   #44
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
I wanted one of those so badly when they were first announced, but then they got delayed for several months and once they were finally released they had issues with light primer strikes so I ended up getting a Ruger LCP instead. Did they ever manage to fix them or did you just experiment until you found ammo that ran reliably?
Actually I haven't even fired it. I just saw it in the used case at the LGS one day, it was cheap, so I grabbed it. I was able to buy one box of 380 FMJ ammo that day but haven't seen another since then. Shooting it's not a high priority for me, so it's just riding the shelf in the safe for now.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 22, 2021, 08:31 AM   #45
bull bob

I would have to say my S&W 1917.

It is dated to 1918, missing the lanyard and swivel, some previous owner had a dovetail cut in the top strap to fit a 1911 rear sight, and the half moon front sight was cut in half to make a squared up sight picture. And the barrel is pitted pretty good, probably from corrosive primers.

I have replaced the ejector rod as it was bent and obtained a new old stock US Property marked replacement barrel. Soon I will be talking to a smith about fixin her up.
Old January 23, 2021, 03:32 PM   #46
TRX

"Unpretentious" would be my Taurus Model 85 .38 snubnose revolver, which now has a few dings and some truly disgusting sweat damage. I've sweated on it enough to stain the stainless steel bits, and you don't even want to know what some of the aluminum looks like. It looks like an "after" prop from the set of an "Alien" remake.

It has been my EDC for a long time, and it's miserably hot and muggy here. Which is why my "good" guns are carefully stored in humidity-controlled indoors.

The Taurus is also the most unpleasant-to-shoot pistol I've ever fired. It's only .38 Special, but the grip is small and there's not much gun there; the felt recoil is much worse than my guns in .44 Magnum or .460 Rowland. However, the recoil signature would be the last thing I would be thinking about if I ever had to use it.

It's not a fancy gun, but when the "carry rotation" stopped years ago, it was the Model 85 that I reach for every morning when I get dressed. It's so small and light that not-carrying it is never even an option; if I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing the Taurus. It's just one of those things that's always there, like my watch or my glasses.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:50 PM   #47
pete2

Scruffy would be my 586 that was used for IDPA in a Kydex holster. Unpretentious, a Ruger LC9 and a Rossi snub nose.
Old January 23, 2021, 11:07 PM   #48
tallball

Wow... tough call. I have a number of cheap ugly handguns that are good shooters.

I bought a NiB Russian Makarov in the late 1980's for $89. It is ugly and clunky. Its DA trigger is stiff. But it's surprisingly accurate and I don't recall it ever malfunctioning.

I have handguns that I would rather CC or use as a "nightstand gun", but the Makarov would do either one just fine if needed.
Old January 24, 2021, 02:14 PM   #49
FairWarning

Ruger MkIII .22 LR.

Plain black/not flashy, but deadly accurate!
Old January 24, 2021, 04:17 PM   #50
larryf1952

I guess the closest thing to "unpretentious" that I have would be my Jennings J-22 that I bought for $56 in 1985.

Of course, it had the obligatory jams and failures to extract on almost every shot, until I took it apart and applied some critical and high level gunsmithing to it. It cost me a fortune, after all. And, I thought it was cute. How could I get rid of it?

To my incredible surprise, the thing started to work at nearly 100%. Rare is the jam on those once in a decade times when I actually shoot it these days. I'll probably sell off the Colts before I get rid of the Jennings.