The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 8, 2020, 02:58 PM   #26
Sharkbite

I try to carry the same gun in the same place always. If i do have to carry something different, i stay with a gun of similar operation.

My EDC is a S&W M&P compact (4”). I will slide on a G43 in super hot...tank top kinda weather.

Same manual of arms, no external safeties or de-cockers to worry about. Similar striker fired trigger, similar resets. Identical sights. Etc.
Old July 8, 2020, 06:22 PM   #27
peacefulgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
I'm NOT even knocking what anyone else carries. I'm keeping this real specific, as in what I DO NOT CARRY. Simply because I'm not trained in handling that configuration. It would NOT BE SAFE for me to even attempt to carry a firearm like a Glock.
You would do just fine with a Glock...unless you're kind of shooter who fingers the trigger before you have the target in your sights.

But if you're the kind of safe shooter who does not touch the trigger until the target is in your sights, then you would do just fine with a Glock or similar handgun.

Last edited by peacefulgary; July 8, 2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old July 8, 2020, 06:24 PM   #28
Ed4032

I did not know that there was any limit. Just saying...
Old July 8, 2020, 11:00 PM   #29
YankeeIronSights

Limit of three firearms on your permit? Bro you need to leave California! That is just absurd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 8, 2020, 11:07 PM   #30
tomrkba

Quote:
Can someone explain why a person would benefit from more than two different carry weapons?
You're not thinking past your preferences.

Consider these action types:

1) Striker fired
2) DA/SA
3) DA/SA Revolver
4) DAO
5) Single action semiauto
6) Single action revolver

All six action types have something to teach the shooter. Knowing them all is important and makes one a better shooter.

As for carry, I break guns down into size categories:

1) Full size such as the 1911, Beretta 92, Colt SAA, Glock 21, S&W L and N Frame
2) Midsize belt gun including the "Glock 19" class of handguns, 1911 CCO, 3" K-Frames, etc
3) Compact such as the Kahr K9, Glock 26, SIG P365, etc.
4) Pocket such as the Glock 42, mini-380's, etc.

Additionally, I add a double action hunting/bear gun to the mix. That's five guns right there. The gun that works in each size category may differ by action.

Fortunately, the market has expanded such that you can stick with one action category. You could certainly choose Glock: Glock 20, Glock 17, Glock 19/48, Glock 26/43 and Glock 42. You get all five categories for carry. But, most people don't do that because they have some guns already when they get serious, they just like variety, or purposefully choose certain calibers. I prefer 44 Magnum to 10mm, for example, because it has a much wider power level with a higher upper level. This adds DA/SA revolvers into the mix unless I choose the ridiculous Desert Eagle. I like 9x19mm not because it's a great caliber, but because it allows a very large variance in frame size. As you can see, if each gun has a purpose within a category, then adding them to the pool will not be a problem.

Last edited by tomrkba; July 8, 2020 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 8, 2020, 11:13 PM   #31
tomrkba

Quote:
Limit of three firearms on your permit? Bro you need to leave California! That is just absurd!
It depends upon the county. El Dorado County allows something like 15, but that's what fits on the form. Even a fifteen gun limit would be difficult for me
Old July 11, 2020, 07:29 AM   #32
Mannlicher

Sometimes we tend to just over think things, and in particular, over think what someone else is doing. Just saying.....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 11, 2020, 11:04 AM   #33
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
You're not thinking past your preferences.
You failed to answer the simple question
Old July 12, 2020, 01:04 PM   #34
Shadow9mm

as long as you are proficient with the weapon you are carrying on any given day, there is no such thing as too big of a carry rotation.
Old July 13, 2020, 06:56 AM   #35
Nanuk

I disagree with the whole carry rotation philosophy. I carry a Glock (fullsize) or a S&W J/K/L frame magnum revolver depending on the circumstances.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 13, 2020, 04:02 PM   #36
MisterCrabby

I’m a monogamist. Not judging those who like to play around. I have a lot going on and don’t want to dedicate addl time to get that unconscious competence mentioned. I do rotate my carry gun into my Idpa matches about 25% of the time but carry it 100%. I also don’t fiddle with internal upgrades to keep the theoretical DA happy. If I think about night sights for multiple guns and all the extra SD ammo I’d need, my bank account says thank you.
Old July 16, 2020, 09:50 AM   #37
P5 Guy

No rotation for me, once I found the perfect CCP I stick with it.
Old July 17, 2020, 04:24 AM   #38
armoredman

I have two versions of the same firearm, normal concealment and deeper concealment, the CZ P-10C and the CZ P-10S. They use the same caliber, and the C mags will work in the S. Years ago I would change it up daily because, quite frankly, when i was younger ans single I had many more handguns than I do now and I loved being different every day. Now I realize if I ever actually do get in a serious gunfight, I will want the firearm I am most comfortable and accurate with, that has demonstrated the most reliability and consistency I can get. So no more Smith Model 10 38 on Monday, SIG P220 on Tuesday, etc. It's CZ P-10 series all the way, every day.