The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Wallace7777

Neck sizer die set or partial?

I have the Hornady FL die set and have already shot my new brass one time. It is time to reload them and was going to go with neck sizing only and just have one question. Do I have to purchase a neck die set now or do I just buy the neck die sizer and use my bullet seating die after that? Also, hornady doesn't make a neck sizing die so would it be a problem to use an RCBS neck sizer and the Hornady bullet seat die afterward?

Thanks for any and all replies,

Eric
Old January 23, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
jdillon

Probably best to get a neck sizing die. Their are several options and I prefer the Redding Type S or Competition dies that utilize bushings. It won't make any difference what sizing die you use as it relates to the Hornady seating die.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
jepp2

Bolt action?

You might consider the Lee collet die. It will produce cases with the least neck runout, is an inexpensive die, will work the neck less than any other neck die, and doesn't require any lube at all.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Wallace7777

Yes, bolt action 338 lapua. Will my bullet seater that I already have work for seating the bullets and making the light crimp or do I need a full neck sizing die set with bullet seating die included?
Old January 23, 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
jepp2

The write up here says it will crimp. The Hornady instructions should help you set up the dies.

The Lee collet die isn't a stocked die, and would cost a lot more ($55 + $5 shipping).
Old January 23, 2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Wallace7777

To sum up, I already have the Hornady 2 Die Full Length die set and have already loaded 100 rounds with that set. I intended on reloading the brass for the next 4 reloads by neck sizing only. Can I just purchase a neck sizer die and run the brass with that die for depriming and sizing then use my die from the Hornady Full Length die set I already have and just use the bullet seat die from that set to seat the bullet?

Thanks,

Eric
Old January 23, 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Yes.

Yes.

"Can I just purchase a neck sizer die and run the brass with that die for depriming and sizing then use my die from the Hornady Full Length die set I already have and just use the bullet seat die from that set to seat the bullet?"

Yes.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:53 AM   #8
mrawesome22

Sizing has nothing to do with seating.

Once you have a seater die you like, you can stick with it.

Sounds like you need to do some reading and step away from reloading until you grasp some basics.

The 338L is a very high pressure cartridge and could be very dangerous to someone trying to reload it without knowledge of basic reloading principles.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Wallace7777

I do appreciate your concern as to my level of basic understanding of the reloading process. I have already loaded some ammo and have cursory knowledge of process. My first loads are giving me consistent 2700fps, and once I got my elevation figured for my bullet drop at 600 yards, I hit my ballistic plate steel 11 of 11 with the ammo so I do have some level of comfortablility with my knowledge of the process. I was just making sure the bullet seating die had no effect on case sizing other than the light crimp I was giving the cases during bullet seating and that different dies from different manufacturers would work together properly.

Thanks for all the input everyone,

Eric