The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Wa11banger

Setup Question resizing 41Mag Brass

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation that I do not know if its a problem or not. But before I go ahead and resize the rest of a 1000 rounds of brass I figured I should ask. My dad gave me his reloading equipment and I had been reloading with him when I was little but havent reloaded in years.

I tumbled a bunch of spent .41Mag brass with primers in still
I have a single stage press so I set it up to FL resize the brass then I was going to decap and open the tops then retumble to remove lubes

First I was lubing the brass with LEE lube, it was not working well and left stripes or scratches on the brass

I then read the forum and bought a can of one shot for lube.. It worked the brass much easier but still left the striping on the brass.

I cleaned the sizing die thoroughly and checked the bore.. It is smooth as a babys behind and shows no signs of surface anomalies.

I was worried about the scratches because I dont remember them being there when I was a kid I have attached a picture showing what it looks like below

I have a box of brand new reference brass that measures 10.91mm in diameter it basically falls out of the cylinder on my revolver

The resized brass is 10.95mm in diameter and does the same in the cylinder

The shot brass before resizing measures 11.02mm on average and yes still falls out of the cylinder but does not have any scratches

I guess after that long explanation are these small scratches worth worrying about, will they come out when I tumble to clean the lubes off? Is it normal when resizing magnum cartridges?

Thanks for any and all advise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0083small.jpg (210.5 KB, 24 views)
Old May 11, 2009, 07:54 PM   #2
jepp2

Since you are using lube, I assume you are not using a carbide die?

I use carbide for all pistol sizing without lube. I tumble before sizing to clean the cases. After sizing several thousand 9mm, I notices I was getting scratches similar to your picture. But mine were only on one side of the case. I removed the decapping rod, and using some Flitz metal polish on a paper towel wrapped around a nylon brush, I polished the interior of the carbide die. I cleaned the Flitz off the surface and started sizing again. The scratches on the exterior of the cases disappeared.

Even if you can't see anything on the die interior, it's a good idea to polish it with Flitz. 30 seconds using a drill at moderate speed is all you need. In addition to cleaning the die, it will reduce the force required to size brass.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Wa11banger

Yessir Steel dies from old days long gone..

I do have a question for you though.. This is a three die set, sizing die, decapper die with neck stretch, and then bullet seat and crimp.. If I used the decapper only will that suffice? Until I can get a Carbide sizing die?

Thanks for the response

Rick
Old May 11, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
crowbeaner

The best advice I can offer is to use RCBS Case Lube II; it's water soluble and just a bit does the job. If you're getting scratches on the cases, you may have brass built up in the die from improper lubeing. A small buff with a Flitz impregnated cloth may help. Lube the cases lightly but thoroughly and make sure the die is all the way down and tight so that the cases aren't sized off center. I use a carbide sizer die myself, and a wipe before sizing to remove any grit left from the tumbler helps.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
dahermit

Follow the advice from the poster above. It is likely there is some hard substance embedded in the steel die.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Wa11banger

Thanks all on the hunt for a carbide set of dies.. Do you think there is any damage to these cases to the point they cannot be used in a revolver.. I have about 25 of them through different stages of testing and cleaning etc..

Thanks again
Rick
Old May 12, 2009, 07:02 AM   #7
GeauxTide

Looking at the pic, it looks like the scratches are cosmetic, but I'd sure clean the thing and get a carbide sizer ASAP.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Dingoboyx

The scratches although small

will still weaken the cases.... hopefully your search for carbide dies will be fruitful soon..... I would be loading as few as possible, and reloading them again..... until you have your new carbides.... otherwise you will scratch all of your cases..... So, IMO, dont go loading everything you have, just yet.

Keep an eye on the scratches after firing, to make sure they arent splitting & keep up the search for the Carbide dies
Old May 12, 2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Wa11banger

Carbide dies aquired.. Went ahead and replaced the whole set.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Rick