The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Alaska Wild

Taurus question?

While at the range I had fired about 10 rounds through my Taurus 44 mag and on my 11th shot I felt a sting on my face. Come to find out I had a cut on my left cheek from what I’m assuming was a shaving from that round. Now my question is; should I have this gun professionally looked at, send it back to Taurus, or should I just blame it on the American Eagle ammo before firing it again.
Old November 16, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Is it a ported barrel? I had a taurus 617 that did the same thing.
Old November 16, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Alaska Wild

Yes, it does have a ported barrel.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Locoweed

Ported barrels will often "spit" shavings, especially with lead bullets. I had a Magnaported S&W .357 that was so bad I replaced the barrel.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
rogertc1

My S&W M500 4" comes with two changable muzzle brakes. One is for non-jacketed bullets. I have never shot non jacketed however. Could be the reason. Any lead build up on your brake?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y

Links says:
Comes with 2 Compensators; 1 for Lead Bullet and 1 for Jacketed Bullet Ammunition
Old November 16, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Gun 4 Fun

Akaska wild- I have a buddy that had a Taurus model 44, not the Raging series. He really liked it. I don't recall him ever saying anything about it spitting though.
I had a model 66 back in the early 80's in.357 and it spit all the time. It was a good shooter but I couldn't take getting peppered all the time so I traded it off. Only then did I read that some of the Taurus guns were coming through with rough and uneven forcing cones. I know that was a while ago but you might want to check that out. It's not uncommon still to see revolvers coming through with BC gaps alot tighter on one side than the other.
Also, make sure the locking notches are not plugged at all on the cylinder, which could be preventing the gun from timing up properly.
Just a thought.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:23 PM   #7
dandydany

.45 ACP revolver

I 'd like to know about this revolver as much as possible. I know it's a 5-shooter with full moon clips and it comes in 4" & 6" barrel . I'd like to know how good it is as I'm looking to buy one . I'd appreciate any comments, good and bad. Thanks...Dan