The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 30, 2007, 07:44 PM   #26
el Divino

Whitetail deer at my farm in South Texas with a freezing temperature, so it should be 32° or below, a bottle of Cuervo 1800, inside my 8x4 blind together with my family
Old March 30, 2007, 08:14 PM   #27
AZGunLover

Cape Buffalo!!!
Old March 30, 2007, 08:48 PM   #28
Rangefinder

Quote:
Hey Rangefinder we'll all still buy tickets and call one of those reality shows you can still make a buncha bucks or die trying one or the other, reconstructive surgery is still a option too he he.
Rem33>>Nice! I never thought about the whole "reality TV" portion of it, but that's a great idea! I could fulfill another big dream in the process--knock Survivor out of its hot spot for a day! (Always wanted to go on there and show those idiots what survival was all about... But those of us who could actually DO it wouldn't stand a chance at getting on there) Could be a real short-lived season (pun fully intended), but invest big before the pilot airs and sell right before the first episode ends (could be the first AND last episode)--just in case But if I win, I'm keeping the book rights (of course I might need someone who can take dictation at that point--if I loose, I obviously couldn't give a rat's hind-end... LOL

I'm glad to hear you guys are behind me on this (even though it would likely be WAY behind me--guarding the beer cooler and the cocktail servers)... It makes the whole, stupid idea that much more meaningful... Brings a tear to the eye... LMAO

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #29
williamd

Iranians. Show the Brits how.
Old March 30, 2007, 10:36 PM   #30
williamd

Mt goats are great, and I, too, migth opt for that. Took a young kid after one. I took the highest scoring grad of my training class on a hunt and he wanted to go after a goat. This was in B.C. All he had was a borrowed M94 30-30. Yea, he got a goat... with my 7mmm. Great fun trip. Had his non-hunting dad along. Served as camp cook and had a ball.

Or, maybe Dall's. Live in beautiful country and as hard to get to as goats(and chukar!).
Old April 2, 2007, 08:51 PM   #31
gunsrus

Either a squirrel or a quail (thanks to ones who gave me the idea), and it has to be on camera too.
Old April 2, 2007, 09:12 PM   #32
john1911

Anything capable of hurting me. Elephant, lion, cape buff, big bears, hippo, rhino etc. Something to really get the heart pumping.
Old April 3, 2007, 12:50 AM   #33
Jseime

Oh thats a tough one. I wouldnt want to go after anything odd or foreign just me, my .270 a few good buddies and an area full of big smart white-tails.
Old April 3, 2007, 03:02 PM   #34
FirstFreedom

It would have to be something dangerous... may as well since I wouldn't have long to live anyhow. So either Grizzly bear, or hippo, or cape buff, or elephant, or lion. Tough call. I love the North American Rocky mountains, so I think I'll say Grizzly bear. But with bow & arrow - not quite man enough to try with battle axe.
Old April 3, 2007, 03:09 PM   #35
rem33

Saw a film of a Pygmy shoving a spear with about a 3 foot blade into a elephants ribs once. They said the last villager to do that was killed by the elephant. The animal tore up everything around it but the man kept brush between him and the elephant as he backed away and lived.
Now there's ya dangerous hunt.
Old April 3, 2007, 11:11 PM   #36
michibilly

Ive only hunted one time but i had a good time doing it. ( boar)

But if i had my choice of animal Id pick a lion cuz i cant think of any animal id be prouder to tell people that I killed with out it killing me. I would want to do it with a revolver or something that made me have to be close too. Is that possible ?

Been talkin bout it on another message board I go to. What calibers of rifles do people tend to shoot at lions with? Dont want to derail the thread but if anyone else responds here and knows maybe they could include it in thier post.
Old April 3, 2007, 11:46 PM   #37
skeeter1

If I only had one left in me...

...I'd go duck hunting. Good fun and great eats when you're done. Then I could eat and die happy.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:31 AM   #38
Leafs

Me and dad, moose hunting in eastern Canada.

LOL at all the dangeous animal replies. The most dangerous animal in North America is a bull moose during mating season.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:54 AM   #39
fisherman66

Quote:
The most dangerous animal in North America is a bull moose during mating season.
You just say that after you've met my wife when her friend visits.
Old April 4, 2007, 10:12 AM   #40
Mike3030

I'd like to try for a big bull elk one time, haven't had the opportunity so far. But Art's idea of a hunting camp with close friends, and my dad, would work very well too
Old April 4, 2007, 01:14 PM   #41
ron8903

American Bison/.50 cal. smoke poll.
Old April 4, 2007, 01:55 PM   #42
Rangefinder

Quote:
The most dangerous animal in North America is a bull moose during mating season.
Nope, I'd have to disagree. It's in the top five for sure, but I'd say the cow moose during calving makes the bull look pretty harmless by comparison.

Old April 4, 2007, 10:01 PM   #43
Desertfox

Ok, my two cents. Art's idea of the camp and friends is a must. I have to stray away from the dangerous hunts. It is my last hunt, and I want to enjoy it. I would have to say Kansas Whitetail in a climbing treestand with a bow.

I would like to pass on a 235 lb. 12 point with 175 inches B&C. Sit for a while and drink in the moment and then harvest a mature doe.

The most pleasure I ever have hunting deer is sitting right above deer as they pass and they have no idea that I am there.

I have not passed on any bucks anywhere close to that size, but I would appreciate it the most.

To add the cherry to the top of this sundae dream, I would like to have my daughter in the stand to witness the whole thing.
Old April 4, 2007, 10:13 PM   #44
Glenn Bartley

A manhunt would suit me best of all for my last hunt; and I mean that quite seriously. Nothing illegal, something along the lines of working a murder case, or hunting down a kidnapper or pedophile. Then again, some of my best hunts were for illegal aliens when I was in the Border Patrol. No shooting at the end of the hunt, just bag and release, but there was a certain excitement to tracking men through fields, down roads, into the desert and such that was exhilarating, especially when it was me chasing down numerous illegals at once. Catching bad guys has always been the most exciting hunt for me, but also the most boring depending on the situation. Still they are the most challenging and potentially dangerous types of hunt of which I am aware.

If, on the other hand, I was going to restrict this to game animals, then I would just ask my son what it was that he wanted to hunt, and I would go for that with him. Anything he would choose would be fine by me so long as he was my hunting partner. If he wanted me to choose, I would probably pick something like whitetail deer. There maybe tougher game animals, bigger ones, ones that taste better, ones that are smarter, but none that combine all the attributes of a great game animal into one beast as this one, not in the USA anyhow, in my opinion.

All the best,
Glenn B
Old April 4, 2007, 11:09 PM   #45
fisherman66

I didn't realize this was fantasy hunt. I thought it was a species poll.

OK I'll play the fantasy hunt till I die game.

I start my last hunting trip in New Zealand hunting Red Stag, Ram and Rusa with all the great lease buddies and even a couple of the crazy ones. My wife becomes good friends with Nichole Kidman and invites her over for a dip in the hot tub while everybody else enjoys the game prepared by 5 star chefs....In Africa I take the grand slam with my father and my wife goes spelunking with Nicole and stumble into an undiscovered diamond mine (they aren't even bloody) I survive the hunt with a harrowing tale and a few stiches and a full body mount of cheetahs and lions who have decided to hunt in a bispecial pack technique that was never documented before (I get an emmy, noble prize, and Lombardy trophy for this gift to the world)....In Alaska I go to the far West (or is it East once you get that far) where the caribou roam. It's cold enough to kill the mosquitoes and make anatomy stand erect through T-shirts when the Sports Illustated Swim Suit Crew decides to shot on the very island I'm hunting....next I take on the Rain Forest and start with a Peacock Bass trip...blah blah blah....ending in Texas so as to touch root on my final leg of my final hunt. I take a the great, great, great grand puppys of the greatest GSP Newt hunting for quail...and all the meat is eaten and every mount is a record waiting to go the the Smithsonian after I depart.

What rifle and in what cartridge will I need? and what scope would be best for my final hunt. Should I carry a revovler? which cali.............
Old April 7, 2007, 11:16 AM   #46
biglabsrule

wolf.... just like in the intro of the movie enemy at the gates ..
Old April 7, 2007, 11:42 AM   #47
FirstFreedom

Oh yeah, I like fisherman's idea of taking friends to a NZ hunt - that sounds better than Africa or even North America to me - NZ sounds like a hunter's paradise...taking a big red stag with a bow, then having buds back at camp who also came back from a successful hunt, might just take the cake.

There was an episode of "Fantasy Island" one time (remember that show?) where the hunter's fantasy was to literally hunt down another man and kill him with a rifle - gave him a head start in the jungles. Now I forget what the fantasy of the "hunt-ee" guy was, since surely it would not have been to be hunted down! Looking back, it was probably a political statement from hollywood types, to make hunters look bad - I was just a kid. In the 70s, I think not too long after a re-release of Bambi in the theatres.
Old April 7, 2007, 11:55 AM   #48
Rangefinder

Have to agree, I like fisherman's way of thinking---that's a final hunt I'd like to be on! One of my friends just took his son to NZ last fall to hunt Red Stag with a bow--and the kid bagged a BEAUTY! Talk about a hunt of a lifetime... He had it processed and shipped back, and we had a real tasty BBQ come Christmas. That thing was easily as big as any elk I've ever shot... I like that idea too---almost as much as going after griz with a battle axe

Old April 7, 2007, 05:58 PM   #49
pinotguy

My "final" hunt would be in Central Asia for an Ibex, a Durgestan Tur, and a Marco Polo Sheep. I'm 32 and have wanted to do this hunt for a long, long time. I'm certain this would be my last hunt as the altitude and terrain would most likely do me in. Regardless though, I can see it so vividly in my mind's eye: me, my 8x68S and some 200-gr. GS Custom HP loads, a guide, and . . .
Old April 7, 2007, 06:00 PM   #50
bcarver

brazilian

Jaguar ...at night.