The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 18, 2006, 06:19 PM   #26
bennnn

Quote:
The dog is not there to defend your life. The dog is there to alert you to things when you might be asleep or not paying particular attention. Their senses are a lot better than yours....
Quote:
Isn't it fantastic that a suspect will go up against someone with a large caliber handgun and will literally say "YEAH Go ahead and shoot me!!!!" But when a little 'ol puppy dog is sent to go after the suspect, right away he's sreaming for his mama and to stop our four legged friend.
Quote:
I know that many dogs will defend their masters to the death. You just don't want them to.
+ 1 to these,, and to everyone else..

A few weeks ago me and a buddy of mine were having a few beers, standing around in my kitchen hooting and being loud, my dogs had only "met" him a few times before. We spar in the yard sometimes, but he rarely comes in to hang out,, we're both pretty busy guys...

So while we're standing there bitching about work and other stuff, he reaches up to "fluff" his ponytail with both hands, raises his hands over his head and shouts something like "Dang-it!!"....

Both my boys jump up growling, and run into the kitchen, going right for his arse,,, I was really impressed... I teach these guys alot of go see, go see, and use a ton of praise when they bark at knocks on the door ect....

But they are alot more alert then I give them credit for sometimes.....

Like I said ,,, I love these guys....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gosee02002.jpg (82.7 KB, 137 views)
Old October 19, 2006, 01:14 AM   #27
jfrey123

My mom's 3 dogs are the best for security purposes. You can't beat them! They're hyper-active mini teacup poodles. I know, it sounds like they aren't much, but they're great noise makers. I used to have an early curfew in high school cause everytime I came in late the dogs would bark-- From the time I touched the breezeway door til I came in the main house door. Even after that, they would still bark at me and wake everyone up.

Never once could I open a door quietly enough that they didn't hear. And they always treated me like a threat... These weren't any playful "pet me, pet me!" barks.

For a guy like me, who developed allergies to cats and dogs in his later teens, these little poodles who don't shed and don't have the standard pet dander issue, they're the best little first alert system my Glock could ask for.
Old October 25, 2006, 01:19 AM   #28
kungfucowboy

well for all my childhood my parents did not have firearms however we had a perimiter fence and raised mastiffs we had 3-7 of them at a time ussually about 5 ranging from 120# to 200+#. we left our doors unlocked and never ever had problems. we figured if they were able to get past the dogs we wouldn't have been able to stop them anyway.

dogs will make anyone looking for tagets of opportunity go elsewhere. if someone is absolutely determined to kill you and goes about it intelligently, you aren't going to stop them but most people are afriad of 100+# dogs so they would have to be really really determined.
Old October 25, 2006, 01:33 AM   #29
tomh1426

I got two sensor lights , a S&W 1911 and a big pitbull.
I think the dog is like the sensor lights , just a deterant.
Im more worried about cyots that anything
Old November 15, 2006, 10:12 AM   #30
Duxman

The dog is more than just an alarm system - its a deterrant.

As the saying goes - you dont need to outrun the bear, just the bear's lunch.

If would be robber sees your house with a dog, alarm system etc. and the next door neighbor's home with a kitty cat and no alarm system - guess which home gets targeted for robbery.....

Old November 15, 2006, 11:47 AM   #31
USP.40

Dog's are great alarm systems. My 2 pittbulls are also a great deterrent, they bark and growl when someone comes to the door. Will they attack an intruder? I would say yes but I count on them only as an alarm system. If they decide to latch on someone that will not be pretty.

I remember seeing a cops episode where a suspect wouldn't comply to get handcuffed. He got pepper sprayed, tasered, the thing that made him comply was when that German Shepherd started to gnaw on his leg.

Section 13. That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...
Old November 15, 2006, 09:16 PM   #32
kgeter

my girlfriend (kinda) had 2 boxers one is aabout 85 lbs, hes the dumbest dog in the world but had a bark that would stop an army. and if i start huggint my girlfriend to rough i guess he starts barkinga nd nipping at me. but once you pet him hes useless. he also does have a very specific bark if theres someone here who shouldnt be. and my girfriend had simple directions. check, if it looks suspicious lock yourself in your room with your cell phone, call the police first then call me. the last time this happened i beat the police and a wannabe robber saw me walking up the drive with me mossberg 500, im not hero and was scared ****less but i love my girfriend and i have ne feelings for him. so oh well im glad he gave up and waited till the police got there.
Old November 15, 2006, 09:27 PM   #33
bennnn

kgeter,

You're wrong about your GF's boxer, and I disagree... Read my old posts in this thread, get to know that dog, and then get back to me.. Think about what you just said. He's dumb,,, but all the other things?????

This guy right here is the one I trust to do my job untill I can get there to take over.. Even when my wife is asleep...

+1,000,000 to boxers,,, good dogs are made, not born...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pond010.jpg (187.7 KB, 90 views)
Old November 18, 2006, 11:02 AM   #34
dfaugh

Quote:
Smart or experienced home invaders can easily counter dogs though, I think I would rather rely on mechanical devices, at least as a backup.
Cobray Commado, that's probably the most ridiculous (no offence) thing I've ever heard. Obviously you know litle or nothing about dogs or dog behavior.

If you would like, come and try to get into my house(or fenced yard)...Instead of my 110 lb. male, I'll just keep the 52 lb. East German female loose in area. She won't take food, nor will she bark at a stranger (she won't even let you get close to her. As soon as you have "crossed the line" into her space, or shown any overt threat to me and my family, she'll give you the whole nine yards. You'll have to kill her to stop her from eating you. Gonna shoot her? Ever try to hit a target moving at 40 mph? And, if you wound her, that's just gonna make her more angry.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old November 18, 2006, 12:44 PM   #35
OJ

Our social graces are up to snuff and we expect your's to be also. Please have a seat and be quiet until halftime!

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; November 19, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old November 18, 2006, 09:30 PM   #36
X-RAY

I've had 2 dogs that went into protection mode on their own without any formal training. One was a golden retreiver. Biggest sweetest mushball of a dog . My ex had answered the door and had just tried to shoo-off a door to door salesman. In her usual rude manner, (came naturally to her) she had tried to close the door on him when he blocked the door with his foot and raised his voice. The dog was a bigun ,about 100 pounds, heard the change in her voice , launched off the couch , jammed his head through the partially opened door , showed his teeth and gave a gravel-shaking growl that turned the salesman pale. Last we saw of him, he was tripping over his own feet trying to get away. The other was a male brindle Boxer (Bennn : Boxers RULE) who was very protective of my prsent wife. One of our friends was talking to her about how he was going to beat her on the basketball court and he raised his voice and started to get in her face when my dog ( named Ambush) grabbed his wrist and re-directed him. WE all stood there with our jaws hanging open because it took only a second for the dog to react. He had steak for dinner that night !!( the dog that is ). Even if your dog only buys you a few seconds it well may be the amount of time you need to ready yourself.
Old November 18, 2006, 09:59 PM   #37
GroovedG19

I need a puppy.Some day...
Old November 18, 2006, 10:47 PM   #38
45RackerTracker

Dogs really do have a sixth sense. We have a 9 year old 5 lb Yorkie, that tells my wife when I'm getting home, a couple of minutes before I turn the corner to the block. I have no set schedule so it's not out of habit. Eden (the Yorkie) can tell when someone is about, you look outside and see nothing, but you continue to watch and you will see when someone or somethng is causing her growling and barking. One night when we were sound asleep, we were awakened at around 3 am, we saw an orange glow, our 8 dogs were going crazy, howling and barking. The house on the end of the street was ablaze. We called the police and they said they were on it already. As a deterent and alarm you can't beat the acute senses of a dog, or 8.
Old November 19, 2006, 01:34 AM   #39
Freetacos

it depends

if they really want to hurt you they will use your dog for target practice then do the serious shooting on you
Old November 19, 2006, 07:18 PM   #40
Ailean Mac an Daroch

it takes thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of training to teach even the best dogs to only take food from their owner/handler/master.

Sorry but I have to disagree with the above statement. I have had many dogs which were trained from puppyhood and will not eat from strangers - in fact they will not eat at all unless I or my wife are there.

PJ---
"Dozer" says Hello to your guys...!
Mastiff owners are always good guys. We have to be the people our dogs think we are!

Bullet holes happily made or mended
Old November 23, 2006, 10:42 AM   #41
HannibalTheCrow

a good watchdog is nice to have i agree. But, you throw a well cooked porterhouse infront of one, loaded with some dog stopping material, and Rover is out of commission. Besides, they could have a gun too and shoot Rover.

I think I will stick to my little Beagle and my trusty 9MM
Old November 23, 2006, 04:12 PM   #42
Dave R

Quote:
The dog is more than just an alarm system - its a deterrant.
Amen.

I believe that a good dog can be "defeated." But it will certainly sound the alarm first. And it will certainly be a deterrent to anyone who "cases" your place.

I have an Akita also, and I trust her with my life.

ETA I do maintain my own firearm defense as a backup to the dog, of course.
Old November 29, 2006, 02:35 AM   #43
Duckman44!

Free Tacos???

you dont seem to make much sense! It is true that dogs will take food from just about anyone, however, it would be hard for an intruder to give food to your dog when they are outside trying to get into your locked house and your dog is inside barking his head off. You guys saying they aren't any good because of the food obviously dont know what you are talking about. I have taken care of (fed and watched) my aunts dogs many times and everytime I go to her house both dogs act like I am lunch until my aunt calms them down or I say their names. If a car pulls into the driveway or one of the motion lights comes on or they hear a noise at any time day or night then ones nose is on the door handle and the other is in the window trying to get a free meal and I'm not talking about lunch meat. Dogs are great. Having them can't hurt anything as far as HD goes.
Old November 29, 2006, 01:32 PM   #44
OJ

Quote:
It is true that dogs will take food from just about anyone,
Not true of all dogs. Mine don't accept treats or any food from anyone but us and were trained that way. In fact, my fawn male (202#) won't even accept a treat from me when I'm going somewhere in the Suburban and he isn't going. He recognizes it as a bribe and just rejects it. They both are trained to sit for treats from us also.

Brindle "little" sister weighs in a only 187#. We've had Mastiffs for over two decades and these litter mates are the largest we've ever had. We've shown several to obedience titles, though, and their size and loud barking are significant deterrents. We just don't have intruders.

Their backup is a Colt's Series 70 .45 ACP and an M1A if needed.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old November 30, 2006, 02:37 AM   #45
40MM

My little puppy Rocky. Here he is chewing on the last guy that tried to break into my house! (Disclaimer: I am obviously joking!)

Old November 30, 2006, 09:31 AM   #46
AKhunter

40MM--Hey, is that a Boerboel? Tell me more about him--he's a good lookin' dog!
Old December 1, 2006, 01:05 AM   #47
40MM

AKhunter... Yes he is a Boeboel. In the pics he is 6 months old at 50kg (105lbs?). He is the biggest goofball around! Very friendly with all the neighborhood kids, who by the way, always come to look at the "Big doggy". At around 9 months he started showing the guarding instinct that comes naturally to these dogs. Barking at strangers until i tell him its OK. Although they are big dogs, they have unusual amounts of energy. I swear he has the hyperactivity of a Jack Russell! If you looking for a large, intelligent guard dog that can double as a family pet, get a Boerboel.Its hard to beat them for sheer intimidation!
Old December 1, 2006, 07:31 PM   #48
Willy T

My German Shepherd is a first alarm when I am home. He seems to hear things not of the normal nature in my home better than I. When away his size and bark I hope would let a BG see there are more easily places to rob. My red bloodhound is a loveable clown and keeps my GSD very happy with company. I am thinking of working the Blood Hound. She is almost two and has a disposition I can work with. Its hard to beat a good dog.
Old December 2, 2006, 07:10 AM   #49
stevekolt

We have motion activated outside lighting, an alarm system, a wonderful 100# German Shepherd, and a 45# psychotic mutt...really. If you were to meet TJ you'd agree with the diagnosis. The dogs are just part of the alarm system, if someone breaks in, our weapons are there to protect the dogs too
Old December 2, 2006, 08:31 AM   #50
tshadow6

you can't beat a good dog

My 50 lb. Sheperd/Chow mix chased a panhandler away from my truck while I was disctracted. I pulled up to the drivethrough of a fast food place, and while placing my order, this guy got close to my window. The dog nearly jumped out to get this guy. Get a medium sized working dog and you'll double your chances of getting home.