The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2000, 09:14 PM   #1
RGDZorro

What can you all tell me about using the electroplated bullets, Rainier and/or Berry MFG? Does the copper plating hold up, or streak off in the barrel when fired at the velocities of standard copper jacketed bullets? What about accuracy? Intended use is target shooting only.
Old September 15, 2000, 09:41 PM   #2
rkmstr

I use Rainiers in my .357sig reloads with no problems. Copper fouling is no worse than jacketed bullets. Accuracy is the same or better than my carry rounds (Hornady & Lawman).

[This message has been edited by rkmstr (edited September 15, 2000).]
Old September 17, 2000, 12:34 AM   #3
saands

I'll round out the evaluations ... I have used 1500 or so of Berry's bullets and have not had ANY issues. I load .40S&W to about 1275 fps and have fired .357 125gr HP's out at close to 1650 fps and looked for issues with fouling and bullet integrity and didn't see anything. The guys at Berry's said that depending on the barrel etc you might see the plating separate at velocities over 1,300 ... I try to keep the .357's around 1,500 fps. At extreme velocities, your mileage may vary. Below the 1,300 fps range though, I am sure that you will find them to be wonderful performers at a great price!
saands
Old September 17, 2000, 07:51 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Loaded and sold multiple tens of thousands of rounds using Rainier bullets.

Good bullets. I like 'em.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old September 17, 2000, 07:58 PM   #5
saands

So ... that takes care of Berry's and Ranier ... has anyone heard of Western ... I thought that I read a post recently about even better prices from them ... if the quality is still there, there might be aplace for them ...
saands
Old September 18, 2000, 09:42 PM   #6
RGDZorro

Thanks to all of you for your replies, this service is GREAT!!!. What about shooting these bullets in a Desert Eagle, anybody have any problems with fouling of the gas port?
Old September 18, 2000, 11:15 PM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

I use West Coast bullets, and at the International Revolver Championships found that other members of the International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts (ICORE) favor them as well.

Someone recently related that someone else (does this qualify for urban legend?) had cut various copper plated bullets in half and found that West Coast had the thicker jacket. They are also restruck after plating.

My rounds are .38 spl for competition and only loaded to about 850 fps for now. Haven't seen any fouling, but I may just not have recognized it. Overall, though, the revolver shoots very clean and gets through 300 rounds in a session with no problems.

I buy .38 cal 158 gr for $52/thousand with shipping included. If you buy in bulk they can be as low as $35/thousand NOT including shipping. You can pick them up at the shop to avoid shipping or they can clue you in on how to cut shipping in half by ordering 20,000 rather than the 10,000 min for the $35/thousand price.

They are in Nevada and I am in the SF Bay area. Seems like I can order them one morning and have them by the end of the next day.

Old September 19, 2000, 12:11 AM   #8
SVSUPER

I second the West Coast Bullets. they are great. I have been shooting them over a year and use them in 38super and 357 sig. I push them 1500+ fps and have no problem. I have been getting .355 124 gr rn for @ $31 a thousand ordering in bulk.