The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 2, 2005, 10:31 PM   #51
Eghad

Nug might want to check the state laws.....

In Texas the threat of deadly force is considered deadly force. If you pull your pistol out you have just done the same as use deadly force. What you want to keep in mind is escelation and de-escalation. Sometimes it takes several steps for things to escalate or you go from nothing to oh crap in one step. You can always de-escelate a situation. Just because you pull the hogleg doesnt mean you have to plug someone. If upon pulling the hogleg from its concealed location the other party ceases and desists all activity that is life threatining or injurious and proceeds to leave voluminious clouds of heel dust you have used the amount of force neccessary to stop the perpetrator.

This sounds kinda like you had to have been there....

If I feel that my life or that of another person is in danger or serious bodily injury then the hogleg gets pulled. Thats all I am going to say to the police and DA . If two males are trying to openly steal something from you its obvious that they intend to use force to take it. I dont think they are going to say pretty please and then stamp thier foot and leave pouting if they dont get thier way. Chances are its not these guys first time doing it. So is the DA going to waste his time prosecuting you for defending yourself ? probably not hes going to have a nice da and see ya if you didnt fire any shots....

nobody expects you to be a mind reader.. most use a reasonable man standard. If you could read minds and predict the future why would we need a CCW?

Now there are places in this world and country where they dont want you to defend yourself. it is up to you to figure that out........which shouldnt take long to do and relocate to another state.

NRA Life Member
Old November 3, 2005, 08:59 AM   #52
Evader1

Guys like I said before, one of my questions was "Do you have what it takes"? Can you say "Yes I shot and killed them" My question was answered, seems most of you can, great. Don't hear what I'm not saying either. If it comes down to defending your life, then you have a divine right to meet that situation head on and defend! I'm throwing my thoughts in, as you all are. Blackmind, I completely agree that when the BG goes perp and tries to steal from you, then FIGHT BACK! He made a decision on his own and he faces the consequences also. I believe that it's better to "hear the cell door close then the casket lid shut". Sure, I could start throwing out "What If's" all day long, but for sake of sanity, I'll stick to the original thread.

"Would he have been justified in drawing"? I'd like to think so, would I have? Depends on what the perps looked like. Big heavy set guys? Yup, I'd draw! Scrawny little twerps looking for fun? Probably not, I just wouldn't have stopped.
Old November 3, 2005, 10:20 PM   #53
4x4

They told us in CHL class that if you just pull your gun that 99% of the time that will disfuse the sitiuation. I think a gun and a bright light like the Surefire Defender would cause most bad guys to re-think their position. My .02 but then I'm a newbie....