The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2002, 11:45 AM   #1
MrMurphy

Marlin .30-30 recoil pads

Looking for a thicker-than-standard recoil pad, I have an older Marlin 30A (lower cost version of the 336) which has a nearly-nonexistent recoil pad. Nobody seems to MAKE recoil pads for Marlin .30-30s.

I'm looking for one that doesn't take gunsmithing to form-fit.
Old August 13, 2002, 12:29 PM   #2
Skofnung

Hi MrMurphy,
I seem to remember from your posts on GT that this Marlin is a truck/beater gun correct? If this is the case, and appearance is not of much importance, I suggest a slip on recoil pad, ala the ones at Wal-Mart. That would be the easiest thing to do.

Otherwise, you are going to have to do some fitting, even if you find a screw on one made for the model you have. I suggest Brownells if you are looking for one like this.

Regards
Old August 14, 2002, 04:01 PM   #3
MrMurphy

Some minor fitting is fine, but I don't want to have to do major work. And yes it's a "beater" gun more or less, but I don't want a slip on recoil pad. If i ever have to use this gun for real I don't want something that could hang up or fall off. I've seen that happen three times with slipons.
Old August 15, 2002, 08:19 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not being macho, but does a 30-30 really need a recoil pad?
Old August 16, 2002, 03:28 PM   #5
MrMurphy

The one it came with is nearly nonexistent, and after 60 rounds, yes, it's nice to have one. I'm no wimp (I put 60 rounds through a .30-06 bolt gun helping a guy sight his Weatherby in) and have shot most everything up to .458, (including a Barrett .50) but after a couple dozen rounds, it does start to sting a little. I don't want a massive recoil pad, just something a bit more efficient than what it's already got. It's an older Marlin and the recoil pad is pretty skimpy.
Old August 20, 2002, 07:49 AM   #6
Big88foot

My Marlin 1894s (.44 mag) came with a pretty thick recoil pad. Maybe one of these would fit?
Old August 20, 2002, 04:19 PM   #7
MrMurphy

I don't know. The Decelerator pads come for every Marlin BUT the .30-30 (they make one for the .44, .45-70 and .444) and it might.
Old August 22, 2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Ron L

Brownells carries many recoil pads including some that are already "prefit" for several models. I didn't see one for this particular model, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't think it would be that hard to have one fitted to the stock. In fact, I picked up a nice used pad at a gun show and fitted it to an older Ithaca myself. If you're on a budget, you can consider this too.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old August 23, 2002, 05:11 PM   #9
MrMurphy

I called Brownells and short of getting one of the "have to fit it yourself" models, that's all they could do for me. I don't know HOW to fit a recoil pad either.......
Old August 23, 2002, 06:09 PM   #10
Ron L

Well, here's a crazy thought. If the 30A is just a lower cost version of the 336, I'd presume it's just the quality of the bluing and the type/finish of the wood that makes the difference. Will a pad from a 336 fit? I noticed one or two models of 336 on the Marlin website (336C and 336SS) come with a rubber pad, and not the "hard rubber buttplate" one either. Have you called Marlin to see if one of these would work? Or, if a pad from a 336 would work, you could try one of the larger gun parts suppliers to see what they may have.

Detroit Area Chapter
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old August 26, 2002, 02:51 PM   #11
MrMurphy

Hadn't thought of that..... thanks!
Old August 26, 2002, 05:22 PM   #12
Ron L

OK, hate to rain on the parade, but.....

I was thinking of putting a new pad on my 1894. I called Marlin to see if all 1894 models use the same butt-stock because some come with rubber butt plates, some with rubber recoil pads, and some with plastic butt plates. The CSR at Marlin confirmed that all the 1894's use the same stock, but none of the pads are precut. They're all installed on the stock and then sanded, just like any local gunsmith would do. So, my idea of getting one already formed won't work. The only option would be to see if a used one may be available that's already mounted and fit to the stock. As far as my rifle is concerned, I can either try one of the prefit ones from Pachmayr, or sand my own down after mounting it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Detroit Area Chapter